THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Overall best bullet for .30-06 on plains game?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overall best bullet for .30-06 on plains game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
JohnCrighton,

You can take any of the PG you have mentioned plus all the smaller and larger ones confidently with your 30-06 and a 150gr GS Custom HV bullet.

Visit their website for full loading details, etc.
The bullets are also available in the USA.

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
John this is the expensive but nice part of the process every rifle is diferent and you need to find the load that your rifle likes. ex my 243 uses 2.5gr less powder than my friends to get the same results.

try and get 24 bullets of 180gr 165gr and 150gr of the brand you want to use ask around to find out what is the best powder for your calibre(i dont know the american powders at all). now load test loads with .5gr intervals load 4 rounds per charge. it will show you what weight your gun likes and what grouping you can expect. if you find the sweet loads like i call it then i only load 10 each and check them over the chrony.

you might have to play around with a few premuim bullets until you find that extra sweet load. then only do i start with my trajectory and plotting them at every 50m. i then take the graph and calculate my ideal zero i dont like to compensate then i calculate my bullet drop for lets say 300m. if you do this shooting exersize you will get to know your gun well.

like Shakari said shot placement is more important than the weight and you cant go wrong with a consistant load that you have practised with. i just have one load for every rifle and know exactly where they shoot it just takes all the crap and demons out of your head when you aim at that trophy animal.

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite bullets in the 30-06 are:

180 and 200 gr. Noslers at 2700 FPs

180 and 200 gr. Woodleighs at 2700 FPS

180 and 200 gr. Northforks at 2700 FPS

I have used and really like the 220 gr. Woodleighs and Noslers in the thick stuff.

Lots of good bullets out there today, bullet failure is not nearly as common as it was in my early years of hunting where bullet failure was the rule, rather than the exception. That says a lot for the bullet companies of today.

I think I have had or seen at least one or more bullet failure from about every other brand than the above listed in the last 60 or so years.....

I am a true dyed in the wool bullet digger, I get in there and mix it with the innards to find that bullet, messy business!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had good luck with Trophy bonded bear claws. 180 gr

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of the heavy for caliber clan, so 200 Swifts and Nosler Partitions or Accubonds would be it for me.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote