Find
Notify
Tools

Ignorance of general public
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Last monday on the TV show "Jeopardy" there was a category on African Animals. One of the clues showed a picture of a cape buffalo.
First contestant "What is a water buffalo?" Big Grin
Second contestant "What is a wildebeest" rotflmo
Third contestant "What is a muskox?" jumping

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along roughly similar lines, I once made the mistake in a neighborhood party of bragging about how many dolphin we caught in Florida on a fishing trip and what good eating they are. Numerous people started backing away and had nothing more to say to me, until I eventually figured out a quick politically correct explanation was required. Then everything was fine again. (I'm secure in the knowledge nobody here needs the same explanation).

Did the show itself have the name right on the buff?

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Yes, after the incorrct guesses, the host told them it was a cape buffalo.
At least the second contestant was on the correct continent with her guess!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ugh...you saw the election votes from November right?...Any Questions...?

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a multitude of ignorant people out there. I told my sister in law that I'd love to hunt elephant and she absolutely went off on me!

She then proceeded to tell me that they were endangered, on the verge of extinction and how the elephants mate for life.

HOW DARE I even possibly think of helping push an animal to extinction, as well as destroy a family unit!!!

It took me a little while to get her calmed down and explain that elephants are actually overpopulated in many areas, that they're destroying local ecologies and in no way on the verge of extinction.

I even showed her the same information on the internet cited by reliable sources and experts on the subject of elephants.

When I asked her where she got her information, she told me about a "Friends of Wildlife" flyer she got in the mail..... Roll Eyes

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I don't think we can expect the general public to be up to date on every animal species, but it sure would be nice if they had some general knowledge about animals. (i.e. tigers are not from Africa, porcupines do not shoot quills, elephants are not going extinct)

I think everyone will have a few areas they are the "know-it-alls" in. For a large majority of the board animals/hunting happens to be one of those areas.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Yes, after the incorrct guesses, the host told them it was a cape buffalo.
At least the second contestant was on the correct continent with her guess!

What really gets me is when Animal Planet has a blurb about an upcoming show and asks: "Will this water buffalo survive against a pride of hungry lions?"

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they ever watched the video " Dumb and Dumber"...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had the dolphin confusion happen, the water buffalo confusion happen and the elephant diatribe happen, amongst many other ignorant similar occurances.

The worst was following that stupid Nat. Geo show, "Gentle Giants", iirc, about elephants and how gentle and blah, blah, blah the were. Yea right! Hardly a fact in the show.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all fairness to the public, I wouldn't know the difference between a putter or a nine-iron...to each his own.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of times I have been asked, "Oh, why would you ever shoot an elephant?"

I always reply, "Because they won't fall down unless you shoot them."

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
another answer would be "they won't give me their ivory if i don't"

People hear something, they repeat it. they rarely check sources, and they sure as hell aren't going to worry that their opinion might be wrong as long as it makes them feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

I've had the dolphin and the elephant conversations in the last month. I hope that I educated someone and that they'll repeat it, and maybe even start checking sources.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a tactic for you. When someone came over and saw my mounted species of about every kind of duck in the Miss. Flyway she said "how could you shoot those beautiful birds.."

My answer..."well first, there's your sustained lead method, and then the swing through from behind method and you also of course have your point and shoot or snap shooting and they're probably other..." She interrupts and says "that's NOT what I meant".

Says I, "Oh I see, well, think of it like this...it's free food"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
In all fairness to the public, I wouldn't know the difference between a putter or a nine-iron...to each his own.

The difference is that it is benign to be ignorant of the difference between a putter and a nine iron (assuming of course you don't hit the links!) but is is not benign to regurgitate agenda driven propaganda or even just misinformation, let alone believe it.

The dolphin thing is simple ignorance, same as the water buffalo thing, but the elephant-on-the-virge-of-extinction, as gentle, and no killing, bunny hugging, that stuff is malignant.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
"How, can you go and shoot poor innocent animals ?"

"Because it's illegal to hunt humans!" That normally keeps them quiet for a while after the shock. clap

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well in my humble experience the general public is quite ignorant

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch - Ditto on that. All you have to do is watch Jay Leno's "Jaywalk" segments to prove the total ignorance of todays folks, especially the so called educated, younger ones he has on. Geez!! Obviously a lot of people in our Country live a very, very shelterd, small scale life style? Oh well, this type fits the current Federal Government model just fine!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I have a new favorite saying:

GOD MUST LOVE STUPID PEOPLE, BECAUSE HE SURE DID MAKE ALOT OF THEM !!!

Alot of people get there limited animal knowledge from animal plant, Nat geo. and discovery channel.

You generaly dont see anything outside of the predators, that is not all feel good bunny hugging stuff.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

Unfortunately, many are wilfully so. My job entails dealing with folks on all sides of the spectrum, from animal production/use to animal welfare to animal rights.

I had a phone conversation with a woman last week about feral cats. She insisted on referring to them as the "children", the "kids" and the "little people". Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes I had to remain professional and resist the urge to reach through the phone and strangle the silly bitch. Mad Mad Mad

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, don't you know they have renamed that movie Oboma & Biden. Well as to the difference between a Iron and a Putter well who cares, unless you are a Tiger Big Grin. jumping

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
The public seems to think all Elephants are cuddly pets. I just ask the nay-sayer's: "When was the last time you petted a wild Elephant?" Then I make them a deal: "You come to Africa with me. I'll put you in front of a wild Elephant. You pet it and live; I'll pay your entire trip. You die, and I get your life savings." No one wants to take me up on the offer...can't imagine why????

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
Good thing they didn't ask Blacktailer what good taxidermy looks like. rotflmo

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I have my avatar picture on my VISA card. Most retailers that I give my card to (if they actually look at the picture) ask "Is that a Water Buffalo?"

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackertailer;

I saw the Jeopardy show too and the amazing things was the the third contestant (Muskox answerer) had mentioned that she and her family had gone to Botswana!

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:
There is a multitude of ignorant people out there. I told my sister in law that I'd love to hunt elephant and she absolutely went off on me!

She then proceeded to tell me that they were endangered, on the verge of extinction and how the elephants mate for life.

HOW DARE I even possibly think of helping push an animal to extinction, as well as destroy a family unit!!!

It took me a little while to get her calmed down and explain that elephants are actually overpopulated in many areas, that they're destroying local ecologies and in no way on the verge of extinction.

I even showed her the same information on the internet cited by reliable sources and experts on the subject of elephants.

When I asked her where she got her information, she told me about a "Friends of Wildlife" flyer she got in the mail..... Roll Eyes

I've got a 30-something step-daughter of the same mindlessness. I was watching Craig Boddington dispatch a tusker on TV one Sunday and she hysterically shreeked "You don't shoot elephants no matter what" at the TV.
She forms her opinions on hunting the same way she forms them for Presidential candidates and social policy - based on her feelings. I have to add that this is a women who "felt" she was "gluten intolerant" for 2 years before going for tests which showed - see if you can guess..........no gluten intolerance.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Along roughly similar lines, I once made the mistake in a neighborhood party of bragging about how many dolphin we caught in Florida on a fishing trip and what good eating they are. Numerous people started backing away and had nothing more to say to me, until I eventually figured out a quick politically correct explanation was required. Then everything was fine again. (I'm secure in the knowledge nobody here needs the same explanation).

Did the show itself have the name right on the buff?

Just say mahi-mahi or dorado and you'll never have that problem again. Wink

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
It is simply a lack of interest in wildlife.

My 3 year old nephew knows all the animals in the trophy room, simply because it interests him.

I do find that anti-hunters and non-hunters have very little interest in wildlife. They would rather travel to Europe and look at buildings.

I would, personally, rather lay naked on an antpile.

To each his own.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the ant hill sounds tempting... but i think id go for the european architecture first... but honestly, I wish I had asked for a mule deer hunt instead of a trip for two with my girlfriend to italy in 2006...

Andy