New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plains game Hunting rifle choices?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in the process of looking for a plains game hunt for 2016-17 after I retire from the Army. I have several rifles to choose from all of them I'm confident in my ability to shoot them.

My three I've narrowed it down to are my main traveling rifles. They are pretty much set up the same way and weight between 7-8.5 lbs all up and are stainless steel synthetics. All shoot premium bullets pretty well, and I can usually keep them to MOA or less out to 300 yards off a bi-pod or day pack for three shots from field positions.

Question:
Which rifle is best for plains game?

Choices:
.308 Win M70 EW
.30-06 M70 Classic FWT
.300 WM M70 Classic Sporter

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
It's said, shots in Africa on safaris go about 80 to 100 yards. That's true in most cases but it's not rare to have 300 or 400 yard shots either. That why I picked the 300 Weatherby Magnum (that's what WM means doesn't it?). Wink

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
It's said, shots in Africa on safaris go about 80 to 100 yards. That's true in most cases but it's not rare to have 300 or 400 yard shots either. That why I picked the 300 Weatherby Magnum (that's what WM means doesn't it?). Wink

Well, I'm sure it's just a reamer away from a Weatherby. Wink

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Are you planning on hunting eland?

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Are you planning on hunting eland?

Someday maybe, but I doubt my first trip.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Not that a .30 cal won't kill an eland but.......If no eland on the menu then I'd say any of those will work just fine. We killed animals out to 480 yards with a 30-06 in SA last year.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All the above will work.

But, the faster one will make it easier to hit targets at the longer ranges.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
With a good bullet, such as the Swift A-Frame, the .300wm will take all PG in Africa, including Eland. Over the past 20 years I've taken 50-60 head of African PG and Leopard with my A-Bolt .300wm with probably 80%+ using the 180gr. A-Frame bullet. Some of those shots were at 400+ yards and many were 300+ yards, although the average is likely around 150 yards.

BTW, in my observation, most Africans use the .300wm as their caliber of choice on PG.

Good luck to you!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of bringing my .270 wsm down to the cape this year,and shooting 150 grain nosler partitions for some of those smaller animals, plus it's good for those 300-400 yard shots. I'll also have my .375 as a back up. (Weird as it is those 2 guns are what I can get ammo easily for)

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all three shooting the same bullets I'm sure there's some good reason to use something other than the fastest and most powerful, but I'm damned if I know what it is.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10445 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
WM all the way. On all of my trips the majority of my shots have been well under 100 yards. However on every trip the opportunity has come up to poke something (impala, baboon, etc) at over 300 yards and it is nice to have something that shoots flat in your hands. Just stick with a good bonded/mono/premium bullet. (A-frame, TSX, CEB, GS, Northfork, etc)

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I've said it before.

This past June Eland was not a financial option but I had two mature bulls pass by me at sub 100 yards. If Eland had been on the list I wouldn't have paused a second to tuck a bullet behind a shoulder of one of those big ol boys.

I've taken several frontal shots on game.....from Impala to Kudu and deer and pronghorn

Nearly and over 3 ft of penetration from my no frills rusty 30-06

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the featherweight .30-06.

It will handle heavy bullets a bit better than the .308, and I personally don't see that much difference between the .300 Win Mag and the .30-06 on game at reasonable distances (like sub 400) although as Saeed said the longer shots are easier with a faster rifle.

The big thing is its a lighter rifle, so its easier to haul it around.

In the absence of hunting eland, any will work just fine for plains game if you do your part.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
When in doubt-go big. I would take any of your rifles on a PG hunt but given the choice, if all else is equal (Handling, accuracy, comfort) the Winnie (or Weatherby for that matter) would get my vote (and did).

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Any of those will get the job done if you do your part! If you are not recoil shy, and if you intend taking things like Eland, Giraffe, and zebra then I would opt for the fastest of those choices that handle the biggest bullets for caliber well, or simply take a good rifle chambered for 375 H&H or 375Wby Mag, and sight the H&H in 3 inches high at 100 yds. That setting will let you hold dead on out to 200 yds, and only about a 4 inches low at 250 yds anf 12 inches low at 300 yds. The Wby shoots a little flatter.
Barring that I would go for the 300 Win Mag, or wby mag!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
All else being equal, I would take the 300win mag although that featherweight in 30-06 would be mighty sweet if you are doing much walking. I think your choice should be limited to those two cartridges and it ultimately boils down to which one that YOU like to carry and shoot the most. You can not go wrong with anything on your list, good luck, you are going to have a blast!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
With many of the new ballistic reticle scopes on the market.....the benefits of a flat-shooting rifle really aren't that significant any more inside 600 yards. The 30-06 is a very capable 500 yard rifle with the right optics....and the right operator of course. The days of "Kentucky Windage" are long behind us.

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
I would not over think this one. Any of the calibers listed will get the job done. Which rifle do you shoot the best? Take that one. Can't decide? Which one goes to the filed most often with you? Take that one. Still perplexed... buy a 375 H&H and be done.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari James:
I would not over think this one. Any of the calibers listed will get the job done. Which rifle do you shoot the best? Take that one. Can't decide? Which one goes to the filed most often with you? Take that one. Still perplexed... buy a 375 H&H and be done.

No H&H but I do have a .375 Ruger. I don't think I'll need it though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My OM 70 in 300 H&H...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carried my .300 WBY to Namibia in 2013 on a 7 animal plains game hunt--Blue Wildebeest,
Hartebeest, Oryx, Zebra, Blesbuck, Springbuck & Impala.
Used 180 Gr. Barnes TSX and all taken with one shot, except the Blue Wildebeest (4 Rounds--One Tough Animal) and Zebra (3 Rounds)
All shots within 250 yds.

Mauser

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can go wrong with the 300 Mag or the 30-06 and top bullets - whichever one you shoot the best or are the most comfortable with.

One thing though is that you might try shooting them off sticks before you come to the final answer.

All the Phs I have seen pretty much always say "the one you shoot best."

In my young days whether I went to Africa or Alaska or on an elk hunt in the Rockies I was carrying my 300 Weatherby. Because that was what I got it for. In my early hunting I was looking for a tree or a rock as I didn't care too much for those sticks.

Now having been up and down the caliber scale, and with more choices, and not having the Weatherbys, I pretty much use the Model 70 in 7MM Mag and M70 in 416 Mag.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
.308 or 30-06. it isn't what you hit them with- it is WHERE you hit them. more power doesn't make up for poor bullet placement, no matter what anyone says.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
.308 or 30-06. it isn't what you hit them with- it is WHERE you hit them. more power doesn't make up for poor bullet placement, no matter what anyone says.....

The absolute best post in this thread.

With my pole on a PG rifle for my wife showing a 708 308 3006 trend the guy thread is full of blown out chest and testosterone

funny

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
So then take your .22LR for Eland. After all, it's only bullet placement that counts. animal Oh, and while you're at it, why not take all the Big 5 with your trusty .22LR, since according to you "experts", if you place the bullet correctly they'll all be in the salt! rotflmo jumping Perhaps there is a valid reason why 69% in this poll have selected the .300wm, but maybe that's because none of us can shoot for shit! Whistling

Don't forget your checkbooks...you'll be paying for all the wounded ones who get away. killpc

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buck Naked
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted in Africa and have no plans to but I've read on numerous occassions that the 257 Weatherby Magnum is the best African caliber so I recommend it. I've read that it kills on both ends but its affect on game makes the punishment worthwhile. Peter Hathaway Capstick is probably the foremost living expert on African hunting and he spoke very highly of the Weatherby magnums. If you haven't read his books I suggest you do so as they are the modern bibles of African hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be too fussy - but a lot of that is just incorrect.

For starters , while the 257 Roy is a spectacular performer on medium game in open country, it is not anywhere near a top African all around caliber. Roy Weaterby did perform some feats with it in Africa - but those were different days and under completely different conditions and circumstances too.

And Mr Captsick, by his own admissions, wrote some things to sell that were not only un- true , they maybe are not even close.

If you would like to see some real African hunting rifle books then you can see Craig Boddingtons works of "Safari Rifles" and "Safari Rifles II" written some 20 years apart by a man who actually did the hunting with them all over Africa.

There will probably be more interesting discussion to follow on this.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buck Naked
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
Not to be too fussy - but a lot of that is just incorrect.

For starters , while the 257 Roy is a spectacular performer, it is not anywhere near a top African all around caliber. Now Mr Weaterby did perform some feats with it in Africa - but those were different days and under completely different conditions and circumstances too.

And Mr Captsick, by his own admissions, wrote some things to sell that were not only un- true , they maybe not even close.

If you would like to see some real African hunting rifle books then you can see Craig Boddingtons works of "Safari Rifles" and "Safari Rifles II" written some 20 years apart by a man who actually did the hunting with them all over Africa.

Respectfully, I think you are wrong about the 257 Weatherby. It was Mr. Weatherby's favorite caliber he killed everything with it and Capstick also liked it. Maybe times are now differnt and something heavier would be better because the buffalo are under more hunting pressure and are more wary and its harder to get close to them like Capstick and Weatherby did but back in the day the 257 was suitable for anything that walks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I am aware that he did take buffalo with it.

While what he did, or Bell for that matter, is something of legend, it in no way makes it or the 7 x 57 a buffalo cartridge, nor even the best all around.

Further, as you might know, no where in Africa is that allowed or legal. There are reasons for that.

By that logic, irregardless of it being Roys favorite, then he certainly would not have needed his other creations such as the 300, 378, or 460 Mags among others. While all of them are designed to do a range of jobs on certain size animals, none of them, including the 257 are a Death Ray.

These men are Profesional Hunters. I am quite sure that none of them, for any amount of money , or almost any amount of money lol, are going to let you or I or even Saeed go after buffalo and elephants with a 257 no matter how much they like us or believe in our rifle skills.

One of Us
Picture of Buck Naked
posted Hide Post
I'll qualify this by stating that I've never been to Africa but I did hunt bison once and killed one with a 7mm-08, shot a moose in Canada, and have killed a number of cattle on the farm. All of these cattle like species were extremely easy to dispatch. Most of the cattle I shot with 22 shorts in the head at close range and they dropped like a brick so I can't understand how you think what Roy Weatherby did with his 257 is some sort of abberation. The buffalo in Africa are nothing more than a wild version of a cow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is more to it than that.

And while there might be structure similarities to a cow and a wild buffalo, there are a lot more differences. Like there are differences between a Porsche and a VW.

One is you need frontal area and bullet weight. While Bell reported to have killed over 1000 elephants and many with his 7mm he also knew that he wasn't about to stop one with it.

In shooting a cow you have some close range idealized situation. You aren't likely to have that with a buffalo ever.

I think that Roy wanted to see what his 257 WOULD do. He after all promoted the high velocity and ultra high velocity theory. While it worked, and he and his company got attention from it. I think that he knew very well that is was not a recommended practice any more than racing your very capable Porsche up against some F1 cars is. That is to say you are going to get smoked.

What you don't hear about is what happened when the bullet hit a glancing blow off of bone, or what happened when he had to go down on the shoulder, and the bullet just blew to pieces with no penetration. So like many good stories, there are parts that don't get told.

One of Us
Picture of Buck Naked
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
There is more to it than that.

And while there might be structure similarities to a cow and a wild buffalo, there are a lot more differences. Like there are differences between a Porsche and a VW.

One is you need frontal area and bullet weight. While Bell reported to have killed over 1000 elephants and many with his 7mm he also knew that he wasn't about to stop one with it.

In shooting a cow you have some close range idealized situation. You aren't likely to have that with a buffalo ever.

I think that Roy wanted to see what his 257 WOULD do. He after all promoted the high velocity and ultra high velocity theory. While it worked, and he and his company got attention from it. I think that he knew very well that is was not a recommended practice any more than racing your very capable Porsche up against some F1 cars is. That is to say you are going to get smoked.

What you don't hear about is what happened when the bullet hit a glancing blow off of bone, or what happened when he had to go down on the shoulder, and the bullet just blew to pieces with no penetration. So like many good stories, there are parts that don't get told.

It sounds like you have hunted in Africa quite a bit, thanks for posting. I've never hunted hunted buffalo but look forward to leearning from your experiences. Thank you for posting.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I would use the 300 or 06 with heavy bullets.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
I would use the 300 or 06 with heavy bullets.

+1

The advantage of a 30 calibre magnum is its ability to push heavy bullets at meaningful velocities.......so go the 300WM!

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
So then take your .22LR for Eland. After all, it's only bullet placement that counts. animal Oh, and while you're at it, why not take all the Big 5 with your trusty .22LR, since according to you "experts", if you place the bullet correctly they'll all be in the salt! rotflmo jumping Perhaps there is a valid reason why 69% in this poll have selected the .300wm, but maybe that's because none of us can shoot for shit! Whistling

Don't forget your checkbooks...you'll be paying for all the wounded ones who get away. killpc

Didn't see the 22LR listed as a choice but that is a bit extreme comparing the .308 Win and 30-06 to the 22LR

This is a two part poll....funny but both sides were predictable

As of this writing....6am ct Sat

Wife rifle poll
58% 308
34% 3006
8% 300WM

With several write in's for 7x57 and 708

Man rifle poll
6% 308
25% 3006
69% 300 WM

All great choices but a treat to see how people feel when gender is involved

Great to see the 3006 as the most stable of the two threads but this was epected

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
So then take your .22LR for Eland. After all, it's only bullet placement that counts. animal

killpc

That seems to be the consensus.

So long one can hit the animals right regardless of what, it´s alright. A snowball would Work if one counting on freeze the animals to death..just hit ém right. Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with crbutler bring the .30-06 you will be carrying the rifle alot more than shooting it. You won't be taking 300-400 yard shots off of a bipod or day pack you will be taking animals off of sticks at an average of 100 yards and most likely never more than 200.

I will add that I would bring the .375 Ruger as backup in case something happens to the .30-06 or you want to take an eland. It will do everything that you will need it to.

I have hunted Africa will a variety of rifles and hands down if I were to pick two the .30-06 and .375 would be it.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Jens-

Obviously you get it. Wink I am still amazed that some here on AR do not! But then we have experts who have never been and other experts who have been a "couple" of times! faint

Stack those snowballs, but how will we get 'em to Africa from Scandinavia? Confused

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all semantics !! wave
The problem is that many don't know the difference between possible and appropriate !
Big bore is better. coffee

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
mete -

Too right! Semantics can get a person killed and/or their checkbook lightened! clap Big bores are better. fishing

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA