Notify
Tools

9.3 X 62 on Cape buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Rick,

The nominal velocity of a 286 gr. bullet in the 9.3x62 is 2430 fps. You should be able to get that, if that is what you want, though it may be compressed because of the mono bullet.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Norma 201 and load it to factory specs (54.7gr). For me it chronys out to 2320 from a 23.4" CZ550. I think Norma is optimistic with a 320 gr bullet at 2450.
A friend uses 56 gr IMR4895 and gets 2420 with the Nosler 286 gr. It shoots to the same point of impact as the Norma 201 load. Nosler lists the 4895 load as 2450 in their load manual.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Will,

That's the load that I use for right at 2,400 with the Nosler Partition. My rifle shoots both bullets to the same POI with it at 100yds so I never chrono'd the X's till now.

For now there's nothing but plains game in my future, if something bigger becomes do-able I may try the TSX and see how fast I can get them going. (or just use the Lott). Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I still think that to better a 416 buffalo., I think the little powerful 9.3 x62 for so tough animal, including 375 Holland I see light. It is my opinion.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friends and myself are contemplating on having this once-in-a-lifetime cape buffalo hunt.

As I pretty always hunt with my 9,3x62, so I'm reluctant to buy a .416 for only one hunt ...

These days, I use Lapua Mega 285gr sofpoints, ut I will try to order some woodleighs ...

Posts: 75 | Location: Antwerp, Flanders | Registered: 13 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have used the 9.3x62 on three hunts and killed one buffalo. Used the 250TSX and it did well. The PH collaborated on the kill as many would with a novice up at bat. I would not buy a gun special for that hunt unless you really want to buy another rifle. Understand and stay within its limits and you will do well.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote