THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Sad News - Dan Duncan died last night

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sad News - Dan Duncan died last night
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted
Pipeline giant Dan Duncan passes away

Dave Rossman/
For the Chronicle
Enterprise Products Partners' Dan Duncan

Dan Duncan, the billionaire owner of pipeline giant Enterprise Products Partners, passed away Sunday night. He was 77.

Duncan's life followed a classic rags-to-riches story, according to this 2006 profile of him by the Chronicle.

Duncan co-founded Enterprise Products Company in 1968 and took Enterprise Products Partners public in July 1998.

"The entire Enterprise family mourns the unexpected passing of Dan Duncan who will be truly missed. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family," said Michael A. Creel, Enterprise president and chief executive officer.

BIG-GAME HUNTER
360 - Number of different species Duncan has hunted during his adventures on six continents
4 - Members of the Grand Slam of Sheep (the Dall, Stone, Desert and Rocky Mountain Bighorn) Duncan has taken.
5 - Members of Big Five of Africa (elephant, rhinoceros, Cape buffalo, leopard and lion, considered the continent’s most dangerous animals) Duncan has taken.
550 - Number of entries in Duncan’s name in The Safari Club International Record Book, which lists the biggest animals ever legally shot.
20 - Different species of native and exotic game roaming Duncan’s 5,000-acre Double D ranch in Smithville, which is about 50 miles southeast of Austin.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My prayers are with his family. What a great American sucess story. A man to be admired.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is truely a tragedy for the world, especially the hunting world. He will be missed, and I believe he will be remembered as one of the greatest modern day hunters.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard this today as well. Dan was a friend and did lots of good for the hunting community. I first hunted with him and his family at the Sanctuary in probably 2001. He was a great man but he does leave behind a legacy of good people running his companies. As well, Gary Rose looks after the DD ranch which I assume will continue. He leaves a void in passing.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The safari world has lost a giant in Dan Duncan's passing.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
Dan's obituary in the Houston Chronicle can be found at this link. He was a great man.
http://www.chron.com/disp/stor...politan/6935612.html

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a sad day with Dan's passing on to the big safari in heaven.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something tells me he's stalking down a saber tooth or an irish elk...for those of us here in Texas, we will be forever blessed by his legacy.

My girlfriend asked me about it, and the only thing I could think to describe it as "like hearing that superman died".

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
quote:
"like hearing that superman died".

Well Said! tu2

NRA Endowment Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBBear:
Heard this today as well. Dan was a friend and did lots of good for the hunting community.

+1 on that. Most people do not know that he was the guy who cleaned up Laguna Madre down by Harlingen. The area was a dumping ground for garbage of all kinds, and Dan led the effort to pull all the crap out of the water making it the fishing and boating area it is today. On his own dime.

My deepest condolences to the family.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you read the "comments" following Mr. Duncan's obituary in The Houston Chronicle, you'll find a number of disrespectful, tree-hugging, anti-hunting remarks that brand him a merciless killer. Certainly not the sort of thing that a person of Duncan's stature deserves.

Don't read them unless you want your BP to rise drastically.

Posts: 69 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 02 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Dan was a LIFETIME member of HSC

A celebration of Dan's life will be held at 1:00 pm Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at the Second Baptist Church located at 6400 Woodway, Houston, Texas 77057.

RIP

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin.../1821043/m/110100754

Link to Mr. Duncan's trophy room photos.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those who know him had good things to say about him. He loved to hunt and was a legend in Texas and the rest of the world. Dan Duncan will be missed.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote