New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibian plains game hunt help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All. I am intrested in having a hunt in namibia for plains game just for a change of place. Who do you think is a good option to go with? I am just looking for somewhere that has good hunting and trophy quality.cheers for any thoughts

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
In namibia check out Kalahari iHunting Safaris

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Google Namibian hunting. There is a lot of good outfitters in Namibia. There is even a few on AR.

Posts: 24 | Location: Potgietersrus, Limpopo | Registered: 16 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Kalihari Hunting Safari's IMHO is the best deal going. The trophy quality is high for Kudu, Warthog, Mountain Zebra, Gemsbuck and Springbuck. They have many other animals as well. Contact them directly or I will help you. Send me a PM with your name and address and I will send you a broucher. Right now they have a package that is the best one I have ever seen. I have hunted there 3 times, great acommidations and wonderful people......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like African Twilight Safaris. Lots of land and a great variety of animals, reasonable.

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
You will receive lots of recommendations from people on AR that have had great hunts with a number of outfitters.

I'd recommend looking in the hunting reports, look at what people say about their experiences and trophies. Contact some of the people that have posted, if you have questions.

There are lots of great places in Namibia.

PS - My experiences with Shona Hunting Adventures are detailed in the hunt reports.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X2 what dla69 suggests.

I did my firat hunt this past May with PH Malan Lambrechts /Arub Safaris and had a great first hunt (hunt report in the African Hunting Reports forum).

I had a hard time picking from the many excellent Namibian operations. I choose Arub based on the recommendation of outfitter Mark Young who is a frequent poster here and was very pleased with all aspects of my hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Otjandaue Hunting Safaris. Omaruru, Namibia.
Here is a link to a report from my hunt with them in September.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6891053141

Regards,
Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by harvey stern:
X2 what dla69 suggests.

I did my firat hunt this past May with PH Malan Lambrechts /Arub Safaris and had a great first hunt (hunt report in the African Hunting Reports forum).

I had a hard time picking from the many excellent Namibian operations. I choose Arub based on the recommendation of outfitter Mark Young who is a frequent poster here and was very pleased with all aspects of my hunt.

+2 on ARUB and Malan Lambrechts.

Hunt report

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you want to hunt? Not all of NAM's game are in the same areas (naturally that is)

I don't think you'll find an outfitter/agent on AR who DOESN'T have some Namibian PG packages lol. I'm personally saving up funds to book with Mark Young via Adam Clements Safari Trackers. They have some really cool packages at very reasonable prices.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhaba:
Hi All. I am intrested in having a hunt in namibia for plains game just for a change of place. Who do you think is a good option to go with? I am just looking for somewhere that has good hunting and trophy quality.cheers for any thoughts

zhaba,

PM a fellow on AR that goes by the handle of Stonecreek.

He hunts PG in Namibia and you can take what he tells you straight to the bank!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Upon completing a couple of dangerous game safaris in Zimbabwe with my wife, we decided that our next African adventure should include our seven-year old son, Alexander. After discussing family safari options with Donna Boddington, Craig’s wife and a fine hunter in her own right, we made plans to hunt with Omujeve Hunting Safaris in Namibia this past March. Donna had given Omujeve her highest marks as a family hunting destination.

Omujeve has been featured in a number of hunting programs like ‘Tracks Across Africa’, and is a favorite with many of the big names in hunting circles, people like Steve Hornady of Hornady Ammunition and Michael Fifer of Ruger Firearms. Everything we heard about Omujeve sounded right for us, and our 10-day safari turned out a big success.

If interested, take a look at my hunting report (link below) which contains many photos of not only the hunting concession and our trophies, but also the accommodations and surrounding area. Their prices are very reasonable, and Nic & Corne Kruger, the managers and senior PHs at Omujeve, will take good care of you.

Omujeve Hunting Safaris (Namibia) Hunt Report

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibia will be a great choice for your plains game hunt. I have hunted there three times, twice with Shona Hunting Adventures and once with Omatako Hunting Trails. I recommend both of them for outstanding PG hunting opportunities.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive just come back from from a trophy/cull hunt with Kalahari Hunting Safaris. Nice people and plenty of animals.

Posts: 62 | Location: Crows Nest QLD. Australia | Registered: 22 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful, Namibia is one country but there are a variety of biomes in Namibia, ranging from well watered savannah to sand dune desert and everything in between.

Everyone has their own favorite outfitter, but most have experience with only one outfitter/area, and very few have hunted more than a couple of different outfits, so anyone claiming their recommendation is the best of the pack has a limited frame of reference. Many first time hunters fall in love with the operator that showed them a decent hunt, but that does not mean that particular operator is the best for you ... he may be a bad choice.

You should decide what species you are interested in, or what type of terrain you want to hunt (mountainous/rocky, bushveld, Kalahari red sands, dune desert, riverine bush etc), and then check out 3 or 4 outfits that offer the kind of hunt you want.

A lot of Namibian hunting is high-fenced but there are areas that are low fenced or not fenced at all. You should consider that aspect as well.

A few areas have elephant and buffalo but these are generally not good for PG. Leopard are found all over but some areas much better than others, so pick carefully if you want leopard. Almost everyone offers them but few can really deliver.

Kudu are also offered all over but some areas are much better than others for large kudu.

Sable are offered on a few private properties, but these are expensive.

Finally accommodations range from a tent with a cot in it to a luxury lodge with most places offering "farm house" style accommodations, so you need to think about that as well. Prices vary according to the degree of luxury as well as the size and quality of the property/trophies.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
You might look up Eitaalo Safaris with Andre Rousseau. We were there two years ago and had a great time. Super nice folks, large trophy animals, (59 4/8 Kudu) and three nice chalets for the guests. Great place to hunt and to bring family.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM in bound

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for you answers,help and suggestions. So far got a heap of great info to sort through and I thank you all very much for getting me started.
Cheers tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Be careful, Namibia is one country but there are a variety of biomes in Namibia, ranging from well watered savannah to sand dune desert and everything in between.

Everyone has their own favorite outfitter, but most have experience with only one outfitter/area, and very few have hunted more than a couple of different outfits, so anyone claiming their recommendation is the best of the pack has a limited frame of reference. Many first time hunters fall in love with the operator that showed them a decent hunt, but that does not mean that particular operator is the best for you ... he may be a bad choice.

You should decide what species you are interested in, or what type of terrain you want to hunt (mountainous/rocky, bushveld, Kalahari red sands, dune desert, riverine bush etc), and then check out 3 or 4 outfits that offer the kind of hunt you want.

A lot of Namibian hunting is high-fenced but there are areas that are low fenced or not fenced at all. You should consider that aspect as well.

A few areas have elephant and buffalo but these are generally not good for PG. Leopard are found all over but some areas much better than others, so pick carefully if you want leopard. Almost everyone offers them but few can really deliver.

Kudu are also offered all over but some areas are much better than others for large kudu.

Sable are offered on a few private properties, but these are expensive.

Finally accommodations range from a tent with a cot in it to a luxury lodge with most places offering "farm house" style accommodations, so you need to think about that as well. Prices vary according to the degree of luxury as well as the size and quality of the property/trophies.

Russ:

Very well said..I agree.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote