THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Pictures of different types of rifleing ???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures of different types of rifleing ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
I recently lost all my files to a BUGBEAR virus, and one of them was clear pictures of the different types of rifleing used in double rifles. Does anyone here know of a link to such pictures? I had them but they weren't backed up on disk, so I lost them!

I would like pictures of the oval, Henery, Snider,and Berdan rifleings in particular, but anything used in doubles will help!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD37:

While surfing I came across your query about rifling. I thought: "Poor guy! I wish him luck!" (yeah, like he'll ever get any info) To my astonishment I read Alf's post. The miracles of the Internet - and I mean it! I wish I could live another 50 years -just to see what's coming!

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks ALF, I should have known if anyone had these it would be you! Again, thanks!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

MacD37:

While surfing I came across your query about rifling. I thought: "Poor guy! I wish him luck!" (yeah, like he'll ever get any info) To my astonishment I read Alf's post. The miracles of the Internet - and I mean it! I wish I could live another 50 years -just to see what's coming!

gerald416,One thing you can always depend on is ALF haveing the data at hand! That guy is a walking encyclapedia, where guns used in Africa are concerned, or, in fact, anything haveing to do with the history of Africa.
The pictures I had were actual photographs of the bores with the different types of rifleing, but I can't remember where I got them, but it was on the internet! If it exists anyplce it will be on the net, someplace.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yeah, ALF, BIG DEAL! GET A BIG HEAD WHY DON'T YOU!

I won't be impressed until you post pictures of the actual rifles YOU OWN with each type of rifling!!!

Seriously, where do you get this stuff and how do you get it into electronic format for posting? Are all osteopaths anal retentive by nature?

Posts: 13464 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I surrender. You are truly the fount of all rifling knowledge.

Posts: 13464 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
thanks again for the graphics! The ones I couldn't remember were the Fig 4 Henry, and the Metford types. I have, and have owned doubles with both types. I bought a Westley Richards 500/450#1 Express, a black powder cartridge designed for deer hunting. This double has the Metford rifleing ,and I bought it cheap because the owner thought the rifleing was worn out! This rifleing type was designed, I believe, for paper patch lead bullets. This rifle was sold out of the London store in 1892, to an unknown local buyer.