THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Craig Boddington on Remington Coutry
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Craig Boddington on Remington Coutry
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did anyone else see the show last night? Showed Boddington shooting a prety nice looking buff with the .375 Ultra-Mag. If you saw it any estimates on the size of the buff?I noticed he "sniped" it by shooting from hiding and making the first shot count. I couldn't resist the comment...I'm a bad boy.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I saw the program and also noticed Boddington has apparently been advanced to BG in the USMCR. Had heard he was on the list.

I always have had a good deal of respect for Boddington, and believe he's about the most experienced and knowledgeable big game hunter alive today.

Of course, the show was an advertorial for the Ultra Mag, but admittedly, it did the job.

Boddington's shot a lot of buffalo and probably knows more about it than most PHs he hunts with, so taking a longer shot isn't too unusual for him, I expect.

That Buff did look good, and I'd also be interested to know how it taped out.

Posts: 1550 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Check out Safri Times, Rigby took out a congradulations ad prasing Boddington's accomplishment.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

Did you see the trophy quality tree Boddington shot? The bullet almost cut that tree in half.

As to the size of the bull, I taped the show and have looked at it several times. I would guess the bull to go about 43". The bull looked much larger on the hoof then it does "dead on the ground". (I guessed the bull to go 45" the first time I saw the show.)

Also, the PH says something to the effect that "the first shot really hit him hard." I don't know if he meant "the first and only shot" or meant that other shots were fired. All of the buffalos appear to be one-shot kills. I wonder if that is what actually happened or if some creative editing occurred?

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
For the nostalgiasts among us, the Safari Times also had a lovely Boddington article on a vintage Springfield sporter that was converted to port side. Since the general is a southpaw, he found it entrancing . . . peep sight and all.
Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T.Carr......the buff looked bigger on the hoof to me also and I thought before the shot the boss looked a "little" soft but not so on the ground....a really nice animal and to bad we didn't get a good shot from the front as it was laying there....and that shot on the tree was impressive but I found it hard to believe it couldn't see it in the scope as it was right in front of the buff and hardly the twig he made it out to be.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<HeadHunter>
posted
Nitro Express,

I hope you are kidding with your Boddington comments. While he may very well be the most experienced "outdoor writer" currently alive, any single current Weatherby Award winner would have substantially more big game hunting experience than Boddington. In truth, I doubt Boddington would even have enough global hunting experience to qualify for the Award. Of course his professional status would render him ineligible anyway.

I also highly doubt that Boddington knows more about Buffalo hunting than a good PH.

<J Brown>
posted
Terry
I noticed the "The first shot" comment also.
I would bet it was not a one shot kill. Chalk one up for creative editing.

Headhunter
I would be willing to bet Boddington will win the weatherby award in about ten years.

There are not many people, PH or not who have been in on the killing of as many buffalo as he has.

Jason

posted Hide Post
HeadHunter,
I have been following Boddingtons' career for quite some time. I suspect the opinion of Nitro-Express is far closer to the truth than your own. I think a lot of people would be both surprised and impressed with a full accounting of his hunting accomplishments.
His knowledge of hunting firearms and cartridges is undeniably strong. Just my opinion.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
I too have been following Boddingtons'career for quite some time and second Nickudus'post.

[This message has been edited by dcan (edited 08-21-2001).]

<HeadHunter>
posted
My facts are indeed correct friends. I have an article by Boddington in which he admits to personally bagging approximately two dozen Buffalo. Even if the number were fifty Buffalo, I don't think that puts him ahead of most top nothch PHs, in terms of "being in on the kill".

Further, I am certain that Weatherby will no longer allow "professionals" to be eligible for the Award. Unless the rules are changed, Mr. Boddington could not win the award.

Lastly, since some have given him credit for being the worlds foremost big game hunter; I am not aware that he has any extensive Asian hunting experience. All Weatherby Award winners have this experience. I am also not certain he has yet taken desert sheep, I may be wrong on this?

I like Boddington, I have all his books and I give him all due respect accorded by his accomplishments. However, to compare his global experience to any modern Weatherby Award winner is simply a complete lack of knowledge on this subject. No offense intended, but those are the facts.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Well, I still think, across the board, GEN Boddington has a great deal of valuable experience that is for the most part extremely beneficial to the hunting community.

That is, he shares his knowledge with hunters of all skill and economic levels.

My comments shouldn't be taken as criticism of anyone who has the time and money to achieve recognition by the various hunting organizations. Those individuals contribute much to hunting in their own way, and I think Boddington would readily admit there are many hunters active today who have more experience than he, in certain specialized areas.

But Boddington, as a function of his profession, imparts valuable information and inspires others to take on new experiences. And I'm convinced he's genuinely modest about his accomplishments. He's one of the few outdoor journalists who willingly admits his mistakes and openly discusses missed shots. An example is the "trophy tree" incident in the TV show under discussion. That could certainly have been omitted via the magic of editing, and I doubt many outdoor "experts" would have left it in their videos.

Boddington has hunted in Asia and just about everywhere else, although his true love seems to be Africa.

If I were given the opportunity to hunt with any "celebrity" or "award winner" I chose, I think I'd pick GEN Boddington.

Posts: 1550 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Saeed has killed more buffalo than Boddington, and artist Guy Coheleach has killed over 1000 buffalo (yes, one thousand).

Boddington's experience comes largely at the expense of manufacturers who spring for the trips in exchange for glowing endorsements.

If anyone hasn't noticed, his picture is in a lot of ads; no quid pro quo there, eh?

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boddington has two things going against him for any of the big-timne awards...(1) he doesn't shoot a Weatherby and (2) he isn't rich enough to make the big donations that seem to be required....a third...he doesn't seem to be obsessed with completing a "check-list" of animals to complete the "circles" of SCI..."let me see, I need to go to West So & So to collect the rare fat-tail, yellow eared, three-legged duiker to finish my last circle of little known pygmy antelope of Africa...it's only a 28-day thrip that will cost me $50,000 but my buddy Jack doesn't have one and they Ic an go to East So & So a three-toes green eared whatever and the list goes on.

posted Hide Post
Bill,
Why does it surprise you that the Weatherby Awards (and SCI Awards) are geared towards the 'advanced' hunter?
Roy W. created the award to get the Weatherby name associated with the most accomplished hunters around. He certainly didn't create it for the average hunter (where is the marketability of that?).

SCI's Awards program is a revenue stream for them; if SCI Members want to compare their accomplishments to others', that is one way to do it. Participation is voluntary.
Will they hunt game they might not otherwise hunt just to complete a 'Level of Achievement'?
Sure, but what's the harm? It's their time and their money.

I hunt the animals I want to hunt; I entered two animals into the SCI Record Book many years ago, and regretted it immediately.
It's just not my thing.

George

------------------

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JohnDL>
posted
I have a great deal of respect for Boddington. I'm sure that many PH's have taken more buffalo but I'm equally sure that NONE have done so in as many different areas, under different conditions, and with a variety of rifles. I also enjoy the fact that what he writes is level-headed and he doesn't brag. He also talks about his screw-ups, which is refreshing.

posted Hide Post
Not for a moment do I envision the attainment of the Weatherby Award as a prerequisite to holding a position of true and enduring influence in the realm of big game hunting. Given time and money, I have known many who may have won such in great style.
Boddington is a working man who balances, like few others, real world business with writing deadlines and a true passion for both guns and hunting. If he has shot 1, 2 or 6 dozen buffalo what of it? How many species are represented by a but a single specimen in the vast collections of these so-called Award Winners? Certainly, all of these Award Winners were fine hunters or, at least, became such via the financial means to keep at it, long term. In some instances they brought great influence with them such as the incomparable O'Conner. Generally, however, their overall contribution to the knowledge of the rank and file pales, when held against the communication skills, acumen and field experience of a man such as Boddington. There are as many buffoons in the "Professional Hunters" ranks as in any other and the mere fact that one may hold this title is assurance of nothing. In my book, one has to earn his due in life and I believe this man has done so.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
Many times on this and other boards this man is really trashed.
I do not understand this. This seems to be the rules?
1st- to be a renown hunter you must be very rich (no just average Joes allowed)
2nd-for gosh sakes don't have any tile for you shall be deemed a panty waster (even by the people that cannot match your accomplishments or training)
3rd-For heaven sakes do not be a writer (even though in the past we enjoyed other renown writers, they were a different breed)
4th-Sure glad I will never be judged by these criteria. (cannot write and never have enough saved to go anywhere but to chase game this year in Sask as a resident again)
Is it just me but what is the difference in how the hunt was obtained if you are in condition, shoot your own game and it is legal. Please give me a chance!!!!!!!
It seems a new game animal trots through the wires of the internet and is the very elusive "Green Unicorn Of Jealousy" however that's just an opinion of one of the very, very unrich out of shape average Joe who happens to enjoy watching and reading the exploits of all the scribe's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, dcan. I 'spect you spoke for a lot of us.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
dcan: Hear hear. I think he writes a great book.

I wish there was someone as enjoyable and knowledgeable to read in my own country's sporting press.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
Gee thanks guy's I expected to be burned at the stake :-)

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Just to stir the pot...dcan I'll supply the wood and starter fluid, and matches.

Col. Bod is just not cup of tee. In the Weatherby buff tape, him and old Ray (?), the kid, are wearing ear plugs! While buff hunting. In the elephant tape, his first shot is followed by a fusillade of rifle fire.

Yeah he hunts alot, is a celebrity; I'm just not one of the groopies.

Posts: 19331 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
ah thanks for not disappointing me Will I am not a groupie and have never been one, with any scribe, however it seems like even the worst occasionally come up with a good tip now and then.
Are not those armchair hunts perfect, we get to sit back and do the commentary thing by pointing out just what we would do in this or that discussion.
However its without that pucker string effect of reality

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
dcan:

I'll say one thing for Col. Bod, he can spit out the words. More power to him.

Where do you want that firewood sent?

Will

posted Hide Post
My 'beef' with CTB is that he (along with 99% of all rag writers) acts as hawker for anyone who will give him a product to 'test' or a hunt to go on.

The glowing reports contained in his articles are expected to influence the hunting consumer, regardless of whether the product or hunt is actually any good (the marketed product, not the 'special' that CTB enjoys).

His books are pretty good, however, and they are (thankfully) devoid of most of his endless endorsements.

I'm surprised he doesn't wear sponsor patches like the NASCAR guys

George

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw you guys are just p*ssted off that he was hunting with a "push-feed" rifle..give the guy a break....he's making a living in a tough field doing what he likes and he's good at it.

<dcan>
posted
Say Will if an invitation dropped in your mail box to go to the area they were in and shoot a buff along with what ever is available for 28 days.
The catch is your have to use a couple of ULTRA mags and say on screen what a great job they did.
The trip is free and the guns and trophies are yours to keep just have to bring yourself and pack home the loot.
Would you pack your wood and go or throw yourself on the wood and light it? ?:-)

<10point>
posted
One of the reason's I left the 24Hour board, or one of them, is because we had the opportunity to have Craig become involved with it , and , basically the guy's on the board chased him off with their Bull--it.

How can someone have such strong personal feeling's against a guy they never met, never talked to, have never posted with, and only know thru non-Imflamatory writing's.

The guy doesnt write about Politic's, or race, or crime, or anything like that. He writes about Hunting and gun's.

Personaly I think some guy's look in the mirror and dislike what they see so much they cant wait to trash anyone, whom they percieve, as having risen higher then they have.

Im proud of His making BG in the USMC ; Im proud of our kids in the USMC, I like the guy's writing, I like reading about hunting, and if the man achieves all his dreams then more power to him. I feel that way to everyone here and to everyone in life ,that never Fu--ed me that is.

Im glad feller's feel a bit more balanced about the man here, to bad he couldnt join in here instead of the other forumn. But truly there seem's to be much more character on Saeed's forumn, thats a tribute to him and to his moderator's.

So more power to Boddington. We need more like him, guy's that can represent our Fraternity while holding such a respected position in our Govt.

And good luck to you all........10

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
dcan:

Hey, if Remington called me up...I'd be on the first plane out of town. That Model 700 is probably the best bolt action rifle ever made, much better than the antiquated Model 70, and the Mausers haven't been made for over a hundred years.

Now that .375 Ultra Mag? In all my safaris I have never seen a catridge with such knockdown power. The 74 buffalo I took with the 300 gr. softpoints were all one shot kills. And talk about downrange trajectory, some of those buffalo were darn near 672 yards. The pinpoint accuracy of the Remington Model 700 and the Remington .375 Ultra Mag ammunition allowed me to take everyone without even having to worry about a followup shot. I think it is fair to say the Model 700 and the new 300 Ultra Mag available from your local Renmington dealer saved my life on many occasions.

When do I leave?

Is the check in the mail?

Will

posted Hide Post
10point,
I don't dislike Boddington; I just can't trust his pronouncements on products and hunts.
As I said, 98% of rag writers do the same thing he does, which is to promote products and hunt outfitters from whom they receive direct benefits or compensation.

If he was on television, he'd have to have 'compensated spokesman' displayed under his image when he was on-camera.

He has parlayed his writing and love of hunting into a mini-industry; more power to him, but he really should divulge when he is being 'comp'ed in his articles. Then readers could base their buying decisions on the fact that he was paid for his review.

BTW, he's a much better writer than Jon R. Sundra!

George

------------------

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Oops. That 300 Ultra Mag was a slip of the tongue. 375 Ultra Mag. Re-take.

Make-up!

Joe, release another buffalo!!

<10point>
posted
George I wasnt talking about you or anyone else on this board. As I said, "guy's are a bit more balanced here".......good shooting.....10

<dcan>
posted
Gee Will now you sound just like the other writers.
Is it not amazing what a little bribery can induce!
Boy this has been a fun afternoon.
Know how do we get to be writers? Hey I will even ware patches if that's what it takes.
Don

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
I would just like to thank the man for being what he is and doing what he does. My hard copy of Safari Rifles is one of the most tattered books I own. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too watched that episode of Remington Country and caught the "first shot" comment. After his first shot and reloading, he seemed to be shooting again just as the scene cut.

Interestingly, I didn't notice any duct tape on his rifle. According to Rifle magazine, the Model 700 in .375 RUM they test this month dumps it's magazine when the floorplate comes unlatched. Also, the front sight hood would fly off with almost every shot.

Maybe I'll watch that show again in slow-motion to see if I can glimpse the sight hood taking flight...

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10 Point, after the dust up on 24hourcampfire over then Col. Boddington and his writings, I had to go back and reflect on my own motives in disliking the good Col.
What I think I like least about the Boddington is his presumptious use of his rank in the headings of his articles in several magazines. I guess he has a perfect right to use this title, since he earned it (as a Reserve officer) but I find it presumptious and fake and cheapens his style and writing in my eyes.
The other thing I always hated was what George is referring to. I just don't trust anything he writes about products anymore, since he never found a single product he didn't like. Especially his articles that start "The best _________" (fill in the blank). Has anyone ever read one of these articles and and figured out which one of the multitude of products he is reviewing he views as the best? And you find the same bland/misleading articles in several magazines under the same publisher.
Now, his hunting articles are excellent, and his writing style in this context is very readable. If this was my only exposure to Mr. Boddington, I would be one of his biggest supporters.
I think to characterize my feelings about Boddington as disliking him would be too strong. "Disappointment" would be a more accurate term, since everything I hear about him from people who have met him has been positive and his experience is, without a doubt, extensive by any measure.
I sure hope this thread doesn't start another wholesale trashing of Boddington, even with his perceived shortcomings, he surely doesn't deserve public ridicule. His accomplishments far outweigh his few shortcomings. And, yes, sometimes I wish I was in his shoes. - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CTB is a nice gentleman on a personal basis, he is well read, polite and not the least bit "stuck" on himself or his accomplishments. He is also a helluva writer!
That said, he is just another writer that gets to go on lots of free trips in return for giving glowing reports on the products. That doesn't make him bad, just doesn't make his writings interesting or trustworthy. I read his books and love them, but I skip the rag articles.
His use of a reserve ranking in his articles doesn't impress me, whether is is BG or Col. or whatever. If he wants to be a serviceman then he should get active and quit writing.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
Bob you can call me by my first name, Hell we hunted and lived together in Africa for 10 day's.

When I originaly posted my feeling's on the Campfire I wasnt talking about you either. There were some other guy's who, I think , made some un-called for comments. I had a feeling you thought I was talking about you, I considered E-mailing you about it, to explain it wasnt you I was talking about, but I figured "let the sleeping dog Lie".

I didnt agree with what you said either but since you are a personal friend if I had something to say to you I would have done it in personal E-mail.

Let me ask a question Bob, What ever happened to common courtesy ? The guy came on the board, was kind enough to share his expereinces, and all of a sudden a bunch of stranger's can do nothing but post personal , negative bullshit about him.

Again, what ever happened to common courtesy ?

Who cares what he call's himself ? Everyone who I know has ever met him, or even hunted with him, has said the man is a complete gentleman. Even if I never heard a thing about him a man starts at zero% with me and works his way up or down.

Obviously his moniker was a play off of Askin's, so what ? What does that have to do with me, or you, or anyone ? I respect the man for what he has accomplished in life, they dont just hand out those Tin Star's in the US Military you know!

I have friends on that Big Game board to Bobby, that, and Rick is a hell of a nice guy. But Im sorry, that was plain wrong. The first thing to be said should have been "howdy".

I hope the man makes 4-star, Hell let him run for President. We could use a real "Hunter" in there, I dont care if he call's himself "Daffy-Duck".

For that matter I didnt agree with the "duck and run" from Shooter's. That was nothing but a planned pile of crap instigated by a few guy's.

You got my E-mail and my phone # if you want to talk Bob, for me this is over....................Rick

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Why is it okay for basketball players, NASCAR drivers, skiers, football players, doctors, lawyers, etc. etc. ETC. to endorse products but a gun writer cannot?

Are you guys so dumb that you can't figure out the difference between a real product review and a "Great Bunch of New Products For The Serious Hunter" article? I hope you can, since I respect alot of your opinions here!

Boddington isn't the greatest writer, nor does he always write about stuff I'm interested in, but he's not evil. If I was offered a buffalo hunt by Remington using their .375 UM (Or anybody else, for that matter) I'd jump at it!

I'm no groupie either- for Boddington or any gun "celebrity" (Well, maybe Saeed and Walter, but that's different ) but I can figure out if they are selling products or sharing information.

I really don't have a problem with anyone who is trying to make a living for himself, using whatever (legal) means possible.

I guess dcan said it best already...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Personally I have nothing for or against Boddington. He is just another gun rag author.

Ponder this: Why do on all of these magazine articles/shows do they shoot true trophy class animals. Could they all be staged? Or do you actually believe these authors are just always that lucky. That while on location these trophy animals just show up. If they are staged how good a hunters are these guys.

Todd E