THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Craig Boddington on Remington Coutry
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Craig Boddington on Remington Coutry
 Login/Join

<10point>
posted
You guy's give writer's way to much credit, and power. Writer's have very little say in what gets published. Write something wrong, or something that goes against company policy, and you'll get an article thrown back in your face with instruction's to "fix it".

Now do you think a rag owner, or editor, is going to allow to get a published an article to trashes a company like the Big Green, who buy's full pager's by the bushel ?

And writer's make a lot less, get a lot less free, and go to less places free then you would think.

So go a little easier on them. They have to live, and survive, within a BS system just like the rest of us.

They do not have control of what gets published............10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed I do understand the reasons writers glow about some products. What I don't like about our hunting rags in general is that I am beginning to have trouble telling the adverts from the articles and the stories. They seem to be all becomming one big advert. Why you can't possibly go to the woods this fall without the camo rangefinding beercooler deerstand, complete with ammo carrier and night vision.
I think boddington writes well and has lots of experience. I would love to meet him and have a cool one and talk Africa. He loves guns and that's double for me. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Safari Rifles is and will be for a long time to come one of the best books on African Rifles ever written...

Boddington has world wide experience in hunting...How many Buffalo one has killed is not a indicator of ones experience by any means and since that article was printed he has probably doubled that number as he does hunt Buffalo a lot...But he has hunted the 4 corners of the globe and any hunter should certainly envy his career...

I would say he has as much experience as many of todays PH's and a lot more than some.

All in all Boddington is a pretty good guy, and a writer of some very informative articles...

I would use a pushfeed if someone paid my expresses to Africa or anywhere else and I'm the pushfeeds worst enemy...Get real!

Keep in mind that when Boddington had his custom rifles built recently they were control feed rifles...He states on more than one occasion the reason he used pushfeeds was because he was left handed and that's the way it was for many years until very recently...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41957 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a couple of comments on good points Ray brought up.

�Boddington has world wide experience in hunting...How many Buffalo one has killed is not a indicator of ones experience by any means and since that article was printed he has probably doubled that number as he does hunt Buffalo a lot...But he has hunted the 4 corners of the globe and any hunter should certainly envy his career...�

A very good point � when someone says they have 20 or more years experience I wonder if they have 20 years of experience or 1 year of experience 20 times. I would guess that Gen. Boddington can be counted among the former.

�Keep in mind that when Boddington had his custom rifles built recently they were control feed rifles...He states on more than one occasion the reason he used pushfeeds was because he was left handed and that's the way it was for many years until very recently...�

Ditto here. At least Remington was kind enough to offer us left handers something we could use for well over 25 years now. Winchester and Ruger are just getting around to it. As to the General�s rifles, it seems that his left hand Remingtons (I believe he mostly used the Model 700s) were still good enough to allow him to take lots of game in the far flung reaches of the world. I�ve roiled the PF/CRF waters a bit recently and I guess my take is that, yes, the CRF system is superior for a true rough and tumble hunting rifle, but it�s not like those push feeds made by any manufacturer are totally worthless, either.

Anywho, count me among those who respect him. Methinks the requirements placed upon writers who wish to have anything at all published in the magazines may be a lot more mercenary than most of us would like, but that�s reality. When he writes his books he tries to tell it as he sees it. Whatever you think of him, I sure as hell wish I could go and do half the stuff he�s done.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what has compelled me to join in a thread like this, but for some unknown reason I clicked the "Post reply" button (a subconcious effort to reach 250 posts??? )

Count me in as one of those who enjoys Mr. Boddington's writing. I like his writing style, and have found his books very informative (really LOVED "Safari Rifles"). I do not buy very many "rags" anymore though (can't stand the fact that they are 80% advertisements, and I hate "how to" hunting articles).

As far as whether his (or others) articles are influenced somewhat by the fact his trips are sponsored, well, I am sure they are to a degree. How could they not? But, what of it? It may influence what he writes about, and may influence his choice of adjectives, but I would be surprised to find out that his integrity is for sale. Although I don't know him, I would tend to believe that he would not endorse something that is not worthy of endorsement. I seriously doubt it would be any good for his career to associate his name with shoddy equipment, and I am sure he knows it.

And, regarding his use of his military title in his byline...sure it could be considered pretentious (it certainly is not my bag to flaunt "letters"), but he is obviously proud of his association with, and achievement in, the USMC. I can't understand holding that against him.

FWIW, just my humble unsolicited opinion,

Canuck

ps: to answer an earlier question, CB has not killed a Desert Ram (has the other 3/4 of a Grand Slam), but he is 3/4 of the way towards an OVIS World Slam. So he has made a few trips to Asia. Also, one shouldn't forget that he is about 20 years younger than the average "Weatherby Award" winner. (pps: Do people really hunt to win awards???)

ppps: why did I click "post reply"????

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 08-24-2001).]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Spike>
posted
I recently corresponded with Boddington inquiring about his opinion on the few and far between left-handed stainless Winchester model 70's (circa 1998).

His reply was, and I paraphrase..."the 'new style' Model 70 is the best made rifle today and that's coming from a Remington 700 freak".

I'm currently reading his book "Make it accurate" and most of his pictured rifles are left handed Remingotns spitting out impressive groups. My guess is he is (was) a Remington junkie due to the fact that they are readily available as others have said. Something interesting I noticed in his book are the photos of him shooting (or appears to be shooting) using a right handed postion. He must be ambidextrous. Something he learned in the military?

[This message has been edited by Spike (edited 08-24-2001).]

<10point>
posted
Im going to start really looking for a LH M-70. They are scarce as hen's teeth here in ther Midwest "slug-gun country". I hang at 4 different gun store's, check them all at least once a month, and in all these years ther only LH M-70's have been expensive custom shop ones.

Sure Ive ordered them, had money on one for 8 month's once when , with Africa coming up, I had to take the dough and buy a Browning .338.

I would like to rebarrel a M-70 to a big bore, big bore's fascinate me. Im leaning towards a .458 Lott........10

<Spike>
posted
10, suppose I shouldn't do this but I need to gloat.

I found a left hand stainless 70 in .270 caliber the other day on the net. I snagged it. The .270 isn't my favorite but it will do for now. Thanks to Jim in Idaho for straightening the errors of my ways when I called and asked him if I should buy it...his reply was something like "get out of my way I want it!"

<10point>
posted
Spike finding a good rifle that youv been a-wanting for awhile's is one of lifes joy's, especially for a Lefty.

The .270 Win is a fine round, I think you'll have many a good shoot with it. Enjoy............10

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Talking of long shots on buffalo, for those of you who have seen our CD Video #5.

The first buffalo shot on that CD was hit 4 times.

First time I shot him he was across the river from us at about 120 yards. He was facing slightly away to our right. The bullet went through both lungs, and excited through the shoulder bone on the other side.

He ran off with his friends. The second shot was about 180 yards, and that one went into his backside, and was found in his stomach.

The third shot was about 250 yards, as he was running almost broadside to us. This one hit him behind the shoulders, and went under his spine, missing the aorta slightly.

The fourth shot was over 300 yards away, as he stopped to look back towards us. This one hit him at the junction of the neck and shoulder, going through his heart, making about an inch wide hole.

He dropped a few seconds after this shot.

As a rule, we try to get as close to our game animals as we possible can - especially buffalo.

All were 300 grains Barnes X bullet from the 375/404.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67341 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Sparkman375>
posted
I think we the conscientious consumers, all realize that any writers that accept product evaluation assignments, and expect to further their careers or consistantly get published...have to bow to the corporation.
I only evaluate products on what YOU guys, common folk, provide as input....not what is cranked out with media and advertising.
Boddington plays the game, I dont fault him, or promote him. Critiquing a role model these days is slippery business, especially when we use the legends of the past as a comparitor.
I think the respect due Boddington is found in what he does humbly to positively promote the sport of hunting and rifles. We just need to look past the standard B.S. that ultimately goes with the territory. Sparkman375

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
I read through this thread and am just curious (not trying to be naive) why are we so all fire sure that every gun writer gets every hunt for free and they simply always write good reports that are "fictional" about any product that is sent to them.

If they test a scope and it functions thru 50 rounds of 458 win mag it functions. I expect them to report that. I think it up to me to decide whether 50 rounds was enough testing.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<ovis>
posted
I think I know why the General is always getting hammered: He hasn't been arrested lately, he doesn't do drugs, he hunts all over the world, he serves his country(reservist or not), he's personable, lucid, intelligent, and a bit of a writer of some reknown. Oh, lest I forget, he DOES accept a little baksheesh from some sponsors he may or may not really believe in. Damn glad my kids are grown up, certainly wouldn't want them modeling themselves after someone like that.

If you like what he writes then read more of it. If not read something else.

<Don Martin29>
posted
There was a very sly fox who thought he was the smartest animal of them all. The fox came upon a crow that was eating grapes off a vine high in a tree. The fox, wanting to taste the grapes, jumped and jumped but could not reach the grapes.

The fox walked off and thought to himself. I didn't want those grapes, they are sour anyway.

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 01-11-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Go OVIS!!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I know Craig Boddington and his wife on a casual basis, my wife and I probably seem him once or twice a year. My wife likes him especially because she is a lefty too, and Craig takes the time to share his experiences and give her recommendations. When the LH M-70 was about to hit the market, Craig gave her his estimate of the date. We got in line and she got her rifle. The next time we saw Craig, my wife thanked him. Craig said "Heck, I am still waiting for mine".

In my opinion he is a very real guy, and nice one at that. He has a lot of hunting and shooting experience.

Since I am a retired officer, I have talked to him about his active duty assignments. He really does do them for the USMC, and keeps up with his writing deadlines while doing it.

I do think he is over-exposed in the current magazines, but I do like to read his stuff. To make money in the writing racket you have to edit the same afticle 50 ways from Sunday to in effect get a multiplier .

As far as going on a shoot paid for by Remington, which way to the line?

jim dodd

LCDR James Dodd, USN (Ret.)

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never met the man, like his books, like some of his articles, think he does a good job in a tough business. He earned the star, so why not use it? It worked for Askins, Whelen et al. I'm sure he's proud (rightfully) of his accomplishments. More power to him. If Remingchester would pay me to hunt with their products for magazine reviews, boy would I! Let's not confuse commercial product reviews (which pays the bills) with his hunting experiances (which are quite a few, and which he shares with the rest of us) - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeadHunter:

Further, I am certain that Weatherby will no longer allow "professionals" to be eligible for the Award. Unless the rules are changed, Mr. Boddington could not win the award.

However, to compare his global experience to any modern Weatherby Award winner is simply a complete lack of knowledge on this subject. No offense intended, but those are the facts.

Headhunter, they surely named you right, when it comes to Boddington!

I regard to the rules for the Weatherby Award, the "PROFESSIONAL" pertains to professional hunters, not professional writers!

I too, have followed Boddington's career since he started writeing periodicles when he was still on active duty, as a Sd. Lt. in the USMC, on a freelance basis. At my last count, about five years ago,Boddington had 28 safaris under his belt,most of 21 day duration,his first being in Kenya,before it closed down, and that is just Africa. he has hunted extensively in the Asian Mountains,but he is simply too young to have gotten in on the lowland Asian game, nor will anyone else after 1965, when hunting, and gun ownership was outlawed in India, and neighboring countries. His bag in North American game is indeed impressive as well. Much of Boddington's hunting was done before he started getting published, and because of the Marine Corps was able to hunt many foreign countries as a very young man.

Creig Boddington is a very likable person, and is shy about talking about his experiences, the only way anyone would know is through reading his books, and articles.

The likes of Elgin Gates, one of my all time favorites, will never be seen again, but outside the jungles of India, and China, Boddington is nipping at his heels!

People have a habit lately of calling Boddington a whore to the gun manufacturors, and that seems to have become the PC thing to do,on this and other forums, but IMO, that is nothing but green eyed crap. Boddington is like me, I have never seen a gun that I could not find soething good about, though some are certainly not my favorites. The simple fact that his writeings help the gun stores is nothing we should discourage, I think! I wish I had 1/10 th the African hunting he has, but I don't hate him for the disparity in field time between him, and me! I think this is the problem with most of his slammers, they can't do it, so they don't like anyone who can! CHILDISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 01-11-2002).]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the gun rags are inconsequential fluff for the old hands around here. Ross Seyfried is the only writer that I find even remotely interesting lately. I see that he has written a chapter on cape buffalo hunting in another one of those $125 books by another author. I would like to see Ross publish a book himself with some original material and no constraints from advertising and editors. He seems to be pretty original in general.

------------------
Happiness is a warm double.
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross Seyfried is a real person and one of the nicest, down to earth people that you will ever meet..He was a PH in Africa for about a dozen years and is one of the most knowledgeable gun writers around and I consider him a personal friend...

C. boddington is one heck of a nice guy, and certainly not deserving of the local witch hunt...He may promote Remingtons, and why not, he has used them for years, long before they promo'ed him..

I wouldn't shoot a Weatherby rifle for any award, mostly licorice, all shine in my NSHO. I do like the 300 Wby. as a caliber.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41957 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only experience with Boodington is the book "Safari Rifles" which is a very good one! I'm looking for "American Hunting Rifles" right now. Found "Ammo and Ballistics" on the Net, is this a good one?

[This message has been edited by Wachtel (edited 01-12-2002).]

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't begrudge CTB his hunting, or his freebies. What I don't like is that he promotes outfitters and products WITHOUT disclosing the level of sponsorship provided.

If he goes on a hunt for free or at a reduced cost, he should disclose that fact so the reader can weigh his endorsement of the hunt against the compensation received.

When he receives a product for free or at a reduced cost, he should disclose that fact so the reader can decide the value of the endorsement.

Failure to do so merely diminishes the credibility of any writer.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

Do you really think the reader needs that much protection?

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I've met Craig a couple of times and I like him. For an officer, he's very down to earth. He earned his star just as I have earned my stripes and diamond and my M.A. Many of my signatures carry either one or the other or both and I don't care who knows it. Comments that disparage such things are unmanly. We're not talking inherited titles here, we're talking accomplishments. I'm proud of mine and expect him to do likewise. I feel free to disagree with his product judgment but I'm not going to condemn him for making them. As I recall, he also told me that he DOESN'T get manufacturers to pay for his safaris, he does them the hard way. Perhaps that would explain why his only elephant is tuskless?

Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
If the Anti-CTB folks knew the truth about the man and his so called "sponsorship" you'd be embarrassed. I am bias and I admit it, I am fortunate enough to get to hunt with Boddington pretty often, in fact twice in the last few weeks. He is a gentleman, is in extremely good shape, and an immensely skilled hunter and shooter, immeasurably beyond the modesty of his writings. In fact of the many writers I've been fortunate enough to hunt with he is by far the most skillful AND HUMBLE; but it sounds like even the naysayers have realized that.

As to his so called "free-bees". One quick (and typical) example was when he was testing the new Remington 700 Carbon barrel varmint gun in .220 Swift. He had begged Rem. to let him play with one forever and it seemed like all the other writers had articles out before Rem. even set him one. When he finally did get one he really liked it and mentioned he didn't have a good varmint rifle (his gun collection is much more modest and selective then you would be lead to believe by the anti-CTB�s). I asked what Rem. wanted for him to keep this one (that had been sent to every writer already and was probably almost shot out!); he mentioned a price well into 4 figures (about retail at the time as I recall, for a used and abused rifle with his personal scope mounted on it!). Remington is really trying to take care of him aren�t they??????

Of the products that are sent to him for review (and almost always meant be returned rather quickly) you see VERY few write-ups in print. I get a chance to hear his behind-the-scenes comments about the products and the ones he CHOOSES to write about are the dead-on things he found out when he used them in the field. Nothing more, nothing less.

There are a whole lot fewer �comped� hunts than the readers would ever believe and the publishers typically don�t even buy film much less spring for travel expenses or hunt fees. In know first hand that he, and most writers, has little if any say in where they hunt or whom they hunt with if a hunt is comped. If they get a hunt paid for by a company it is most likely where the accountants in the company budget for them to go, not where or what they would like to hunt.

In another case I can remember a (rare) hunt that was paid for by a gun company, with the president of that company attending on the hunt. By the end of the hunt, CTB got tired of the rifle he was asked to shoot and used not only the direct competitors gun but also one chambered in the directly competing cartridge! You read about it and never knew who paid for what, that�s not important in the evaluation of a product now is it?

I have met several bought-and-paid-for writers; they don�t make it to the level of Boddington or any of the other well-known writers. Readers aren�t that stupid.

When a hunt comes to an end he is the first to reach in his pocket for the checkbook, he expects nothing from anyone; I wish I could say that about the average hunter. He has made sacrifices that few of us can imagine to do what he loves for a living, how many of us can say that we have been that truthful with our own life?

I�m sure the cyber hunters will pick my account to shreds WORD-BY-POORLY-WORDED-WORD, and that�s okay, it�s the truth as I have witnessed it.

And my final rant� which is neither here nor there�. as of two weeks ago he had taken 48 buffalo and hunted Asia many times, most of which was paid for on a reserve officers salary and the money from an ever dieing hunting media.

Mellow out,
Jealousy is unbecoming,
Kyler

------------------
Being ready is good, being safe is great, being both is tough.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is always one thing to these Boddington posts that the anti-Boddington folks declare... some sort of advertisement hunts.
Sure, I don't care for them either, but I read the artical for the entertainment value, not what is being pushed. I am quite able to notice the ad-hunts for what they are. Its not a hidden surprise! They didn't all-of-a-sudden spring it on me! You all knew it would be there too, even before you read it! So why complain about it?
Who amoung us has told of something we tried(even owned) to a friend, as if to say they need one too? We are all guilty of this!!!
So, whats the diference? He gets to use them for free, you got to pay for yours first. Big deal! He writes the articals you hate to read, you read the articals you love to hate. Who's at fault here? ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike375,

I certainly don't need protection from the gun writers because I take everything they say with a large dose of salt.

However, the majority of the people who read the gun rags don't have the savvy or experience to know when they're reading an ad for a product or outfitter disguised as a hunting article.

George

------------------

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

Under your proposal it would become law that any of these writers, or anyone else in the media, would have to disclose their interests.

The next stage would be your non savvy shooter still gets ambushed. So the law is made tighter. Perrhaps the writer would need to test a 100 rifles or go on 100 hunts to make sure his opinion was not based on an isolated case.

And people in both our countries, especially from the ranks of shooters, continually question how these "protect everyone" laws come about.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, but I believe CTB has a substantial stake in Rigby (the US company), so the full-page ad congratulating him on his achievment seems a bit like awarding him 'employee of the month'. He had a big desk at Rigby the last time I visited their operation. I believe CTB to be a nice fellow and a decent writer, but I can't say I have been at all that impressed with his colleagues at Rigby. The artic muskox mount on the wall was neat, though.

Best,

mfw

------------------
Mark F. Ward
mark@swervingatom.com

Posts: 25 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend of mine that was visiting Rigby's a year or so ago.He walked in the door and who else was pitching a fit about duck stamps than ole (then)Col. Boddington.My friend enjoyed listening to Craig whine during his visit,and then they both left at the same time.As they both reached the door at the same time,my friend stopped and said "After you,Colonel".Craig looked at him as if he had spoke in French,and walked out.

Now this isn't a good example of the man,as I bet we have all pitched a fit in a gun shop before (I practicaly go into a seizure each time I hear a new Kalifornia gun law).

I don't have anything against Boddington as a person,I just don't care for his styling of writing.His article about cartridges that should be discontinued P.O.ed me something fierce and now I just won't read his articles,period.

If we ever bumped into each other,I'm sure he'd be fun to chat with,but I still wouldn't read his writing.

On the subject of cape buffalos killed,Warren Page killed 36 before he passed away.Most were shot with a custom Remington 721 (a plane jane 700)in 375 Weatherby Magnum,and he also killed a few with the 458 Winchester and 460 Weatherby.I belive ole Warren even won the Weatherby award.

What's really amazing is that before Warren became a writer,the only big game he had ever killed was one (1) mule deer,which he openly admitted to.This goes to show you that anyone with a knack for words and a smidgen of experience can get into gun writing.

I personaly like Ross Seyfried best out of all of them.He writes truely interesting and informative articles.His article "Rifles,Handguns,and the theory of relitivity",which can be read on the Rifle Magazine site,brings out all the contradicters we have come to use.Also,his article "So,you want a custom rifle?" made me really think twice about having a custom rifle built,and also gave proper instructions on how to go about it.His adage of before having a custom rifle built,taking two one hundred dollar bills and watching one burn is right on track.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of the gun writers and they never hit on me for free hunts, they will try to get the best deal available and if they have a bunch going with them and are going to write up the hunt then I sometimes refuse to except payment for their portion of the hunt..thats good advertisement for me, its deductable and just plain good business and to show you how easy to get along with I'd probably do the same for anyone on this board and forget the write up.

I only had one gun writer hit on me for a custom gun and got real indignant when I told him how much..He wanted it free for an article. tough cookies, I don't work for free and don't ask anyone else to..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

posted Hide Post
Mike375,

There is a "Truth in Advertising" law in the U.S. that requires a person who is being compensated for their statement/endorsement to reveal that fact.

The Securities and Exchange Commission has rules that require an analyst, broker, or financial adviser to reveal their interests in a stock or investment they are promoting.

A disclaimer by the author that they received some consideration, accommodation, or compensation from manufacturers or service
providers mentioned in an article should not be too much to ask of a professional.

If a doctor prescribed a medication that he was receiving a kickback on, wouldn't you want to know?

George

------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

Australia recently copied much of the US laws for financial services, the industry I work in. 99% of the people I deal with are doctors, so I am working in two of the areas you mention.

Doctors do get free trips for conferences etc by drug companies.

There are a couple of fundamental problems with such laws and one problem is a replica of gun laws. Such laws assume that all "professionals" are potential "baddies" so the public needs to be protected.

Problem areas with Doctors Vs Naturopaths is interesting. On a percentage basis there are far more problems with doctor/patient than occurs with naturopath/patient. The reason is quite simple. The medical doctor is a highly regulated and licensed profession as compared to naturopathy. This results in patients being very "trusting" and therefore open to rip off.

Financial services regulations have had the same impact, at least in Australia.

As such laws have a negative impact, this results in more laws being introduced.

By the way, do think a retailer of cloths, cars, computers or whatever, should have to display how much he paid the wholesaler or manufacturer for the product?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
JEEZ, Mike375, give me a break! Naturopaths are just QUACKS! Anyone seeing a naturopath is too stupid to complain about anything anyway! Funny how these threads go sideways, eh?

Brian M,
Well said. Also, thanks for reminding me that the Remington 721 was a pushfeed buffalo slayer in Warren Page's hands. The Remington 720 was the CRF Enfield P-17 knockoff just before Remington went to the pipe actions. I got that straight now.

And in the spirit of General Boddington, I sign this, having refused to accept a promotion to Major, and having served four years extended active duty at the rank before I resigned it,

Captain RAB, or Captain Ron, or
DaggaRon, CPT USAF MC ... not retired and not being held in reserve ...
------------------
Happiness is a warm double.
RAB

[This message has been edited by DaggaRon (edited 01-13-2002).]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill Boddington does own and hunt with Weatherby rifles..

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
Mike375,

As a board certified physician here in the U.S., I suggest you get your facts together before spouting off about something which you obviously know nothing about. Naturopaths -- give me a break.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
duckster and RAB,

Your very postings are in fact illustrating exactly what I am trying to say.

People have far less caution when seeing a doctor than a naturopath and that is due to the strong regulatory system that exists for medical doctors.

Not long ago there was a case in Sydney that clearly illustrates the situation.

A general practitioner had his brother working in his surgery and posing as another doctor. Eventually the bubble burst and it was on the current affair shows and in the papers. When questioned, "patients" all had the same basic answer:

"we thought he was a doctor so we did not worry about anything"

A friend of mine in the insurance business has a wife who is a naturopath. Because I am "anti naturopath" we do have many disccussions. His wife continually says that one of the difficulties in being a naturopoath is you have to keep convincing people because they start with a basic position of non belief.

Let me add one other thing on the cost of "extreme" regulation.

In my opinion the length and fineness of the filter that one must get through to become a medical specialist is equalled by no other occupation, except perhaps astronauts.

Naturally, there must be a financial reward for someone to undertake this in lieu of some other occupation.

Now if we come back to GeorgeS and his proposal that gun writers whould have to disclose interests, then like all laws they always extend further with time. As I said in a previous post, eventually they might need to test 10 or 100 guns or hunts before giving an opinion.

Costs rise and all in the interests of laws to protect people.

It is very simple. If they are forced to disclose interests then people assume that their tests must be "honest", rather than having their guard up. But of course with only one gun to test, their reporting might be inaccurate. Thus we need to move to the next stage so as to insure "accuracy"

If you think I am an extremist on non gov't intervention, then you are probably correct.

However you should meet some "genuine antis" and see an equal degree of extremism from the other side.

The majority of gun owners in both our countries actually support most of the antis views and for most of the time.The one exception is gun laws.

However, the millions of gun owners to contribute to a political environment of gov't intervention.

Mike

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Am I in the African Hunting Board....

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
posted Hide Post
RAB,
Actualy,two out of three rifles that Warren Page used for dangerous game in Africa were push feeds-his Weatherby Mark V in 460 Magnum and of course his 375 Weatherby/Remington.Can't say about the third as I only know it was a 458 Winchester Magnum,which at that time could mean anything as just about everyone was making a 458.

Mike375,
Hate to make myself look like an idiot (ain't hard for me to do),but what in the blue hell is a naturopath?

DB Bill,
T300Wby is right,Boddington owns and uses Weatherby rifles.As far as I know he has owned and used Weatherby rifles in 270,300,340,and 416 Weatherby Magnums.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You're misreading my intent. 1) I am not proposing new laws to require financial disclosure, I just think that disclosure would allow the reader (who ostensibly is buying the magazine to get reasonably objective information) to gauge the quality of the advice they are getting (which is ALWAYS buy this product!).
2) Your analogy about retailers revealing their costs is not appropriate. A consumer expects a retailer to make a profit on their wares. A gun rag writer is acting as an advisor to the reader.
If he/she who promotes a hunt or product without disclosing their financial interest, it strikes me as highly unethical, but not illegal.

George

------------------