Notify
Tools

Zim Visitor's Firearms Certificate
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
Got'a quick question.

First and last time I was in Zim was 2000. I seem to remember filling out the firearm permit form in triplicate prior to arrival, but the guy in Harare not using them and filling out separate forms. I also remember taking carbon paper to make it easier for him. Does my memory correlate with any of your recent experiences?

Is it worth filling out separate forms or just one that the official can use as a reference?

Thanks!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I remember completing them in triplicate as well, but don't believe that Zim customs kept more than one copy.

A second copy was signed, stamped, sealed or in some capacity authorized by Zim customs and was to be kept in our posession while the guns were in the country.

It also had to be presented when leaving the country. I remember the PH noting that it would be a big deal if we lost that copy.

It was presented when exiting Zim and the serial numbers were confirmed by Zim customs, and I'm sure that they kept the copy... but don't recall exactly.

FWIW - That was in Nov '05.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2004 I brought in three copies of which I kept one. The other two they kept and I presented mine on departure. I did give the customs girl some biltong that I brought in and she did not check serial numbers just said ok you go now, very official in an African sort of way.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
In 2003 and 2005, I took 3 copies of the completed form. They kept two, stamped and signed one copy (which you keep and turn in when you leave). So yes, take 3 completed forms (I complete one form and just color photocopied it).

Regards,

Terry

P.S.

Don't forget that upon arrival in Harare, you go to the Visa booth on the right to get your visa ($30) and then go to passport control booths on the left. You will need address and phone number info for your outfitter to get the visa, so have that info at hand.

P.S.S.
I can email you the form if you need it, it appears to have changed a bit since last year (or at least there is a second page, which I didn't get last year).

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!!

-Steve

P.S. We're flying into Vic Falls, but I'll have my 30 bucks and papers in order.

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went in and out of Harare with two firearms in the last month. Forms in trplicate and checked numbers - no problem. Very charming black guy dealing with it even gave me an extra week on the permit as I said I might stay longer.

I did lose my paperwork while on the hunt and no real dramas on leaving - they just filled out another entry form - added a few minutes. Nothing like the hour it took to pay for XS baggage at the SAA Ticketing Counter.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
along with your visa fee - don't forget your exit fee (Last time i remember it being $50) and have the correct money available, cause they don't have change, but will gladly accept a larger amount with a smile

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch. I didn't recal that but I'll make sure that I have some smaller bills handy upon leaving.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I have never paid an exit fee (including last year), it is supposed to be included in the price of your airline ticket. In fact, in 2003 we were expecting a $30 Exit Fee, I had the money ready and even tried to give it to the passport control guy, he wouldn't take it. Last season, no one asked and we didn't pay.

Would be interested if others ever paid this fee.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
I have had to pay an air charter fee of $5 per person to the Zim Civil Aviation Authority.

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The exit fee is in your ticket price. Zim airports have signs posted stating that and not to pay anyone the fee on departure.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9373 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote