Find
Notify
Tools

Basenji - hunting animal
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
Have any guests had experience with or actually own a [Basenji hunting dog] at all .... they origionate from Central Africa and I believe that they are very good companions and also OK for hunting ...

What a magnificient animal IMHO

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a female that was at least 1/2 basenji and then two of her pups--she was quite a campanion and as were the pups afer she died--they were never trained, but they seemed to understand, after a few outings that I was off to get something for the table--be it rabbit, quail, phesant or squirrel--they never ranged far away or at least not far enuff to spook the quarry before I could get a shot off--brings back great memories of growing up in Nebraska and going hunting every waning moment--I know this isn't much help, but I get the feeling they could be useful--they sure didn't bark much which is nice--chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Peter,
My adopted dad and mom grew up in Arabia, my dad's dad spent some time in Africa back in the forties where he was introduced to Basenjis. Anyway, my dad had three different Basenjis from the time that I moved in with them at age 15 until he passed away in 1998.
As Chris mentioned, they don't bark, but they do growl when they are pissed off or putting their "war" face on. That happens from time to time. They are fearless, fast and very territorial. "Taffy" sliced open a Doberman that was about five times her size one day. You don't own them, they choose to associate with you. They really like to hunt. Very self possessed. Think in terms of a shrunk down German Shorthair. Not high strung at all.
When I'm wearing diapers and sucking jello through a straw in the nursing home I'll probably get a couple Basenjis to bite the balls off anyone who pisses me off.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had one for a short while when I was young, Dated a gal that had one. Both were very friendly. They had no bark but were quite vocal and very expresive with expression and gesture. I am really considering one now as I live in town. If you think of them as a pet fox or the coolest cat you have a good idea of there personality. The strange thing about these two was they enjoyed being around cats and cats didnt fear them at all.

NRA Life Member
PADI Open Water Diver
Padi Advanced Open Water Diver
Elk Dont Know How Many Feet Horses Have!

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I 'ah 'er 'ah "taught" my dad's dogs to appreciate the sound of cat bones crunching. They adapted pretty quickly.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote