Find
Notify
Tools

african animals wish list
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
looking at ideas/places for my next hunting trip to Africa, so many choices and not enough time or money makes being selective important. Looking at hunting in either Namibia or Zimbabwe or even both for the next trip. Animals desired include in no particular order at this point, lepoard, eland, waterbuck, gemsbuck, klipsspringer, warthog, bushbuck, sable (this ones a real wish cause of the high T-fees) and some of the smaller cats and jackals/baboons as targets of opportunity.

How do you other guys handle the sometimes large potential amounts of $$ neede to pay for the trophy fees at the end of the hunt, ie, cash, T-checks, since not many outfits want to take credit cards. What about the 10K limit on US cash taken out of the country, how do you register that amount with US customs beforehand, the same way as rifles or do they have a separate customs form for that?
TIA

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sometimes take a certified (bank) check made out to the company in an amount close to the estimated bill. Pay the rest in cash and/or traveleers checks.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
When I am hunting with an outfitter I book for, I just give them a check. I have also taken several cashiers checks for different amounts that I could give the outfitter after the hunt, or bring home and return to the issuer for cash.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In no particlar order:

L.D. Eland (If I could only collect on more Africa animal)
Kufwe lechwe
Chobe or Limpopo bushbuck
Civet Cat
Sitatunga (Love to get one with a bow)
Gemsbok (will be the focus of my next safari, as I've been skunked for gemsbok on my first two)
Bongo (Since we are dreaming,here)
Cape Buffalo
Genet cat (to tuck into a small corner of a trophy room)
Baboon (One of the coolest skulls to collect)
Egyptian Goose
Bushpig
A really big Nyala

Number One: Another Warty!

"If you hunt to eat, or hunt for sport for something fine, something that will make you proud, and make you remember every single detail of the day you found him and shot him, that is good too." – Robert Chester Ruark

one of us
posted Hide Post
In order of importance.

1. A really nice Bushbuck
2. A Giant forest hog
3. A dwarf buffalo
4. A Sable
5. Lord derby eland
6. Monster croc
7. A pair of spotted hyena
8. Mt Nyala
9. Bongo
10. A steady stream of cape buffalo bulls.

I work with a booking agent here in Denver. We use a an escrow account. All money is held until the conclusion of the hunt and then wire transferred to the outfitter. Many times we even wire over the tips for the hunters and crew. This saves having to carry to much cash. It is the nicest way to do it in my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just used T-checks and cash in the past
but this is what my buddy did last year and a good idea to protect your self some too:

my buddy got the account numbers for the US bank of the safari company, then as his safari progressed he just had deposits wired to the safari's US bank account. If the safari turns out to be bad/or a scam----he just doesn't wire any money to their account. You will need a satellite phone for this method of payment

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for the Leopard and Sable!!! You will not ever regret it. Take what money you have left over to pay for what ever.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used American Express Travelers checks on my hunt with John Sharp in Zim. Different amounts taken, no problem to use them. You do have to Declare the amount you have on you when you leave the US, again had no problem with this. Wired deposit to Johns bank before trip, used certified checks to pay taxidermy work dine there later.
bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Isn't it kind of a crappy thing to give people in Zim travellors checks because they get bent over on the exchange rate versus cash?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote