New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attendance at SCI down?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drove down Wed, and went to the show Thursday and Friday. Came home after breakfast today. People in Reno are very friendly, and it is a good pro-gun state. They are moving it to Dallas for 2013, the week before or after their party. I was asked what I thought about that, and I told them, if I can't drive it in a day (400mi to Reno from here) I probably wouldn't ever go again. They did not like that response.
I had a great time, and did not mind the lack of tire kickers who spend four days collecting brochures to paper their ceilings with. People I met were there booking hunts. My guys had 2/3rds of their quotas booked between Dallas and Friday afternoon in Reno. There were a lot of deals if you searched hard enough.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I went to the show on Friday. I was shocked to see that there were still rooms available. In the past everything would be booked up well in advance.

I asked several outfitters how this year's show was going for them. All of those who answered the question directly said that it was the slowest show they had attended.

Almost half danced around the question(for obvious reasons) and gave answers such as, "today(Friday) has been slow....."

The fact is that their have been a lot of us who have had more cash sitting around in the past than we do today. Here in Northern California many people were refinancing their homes to get cash to blow on fancy cars and boats. I wonder how many people were doing this to come up with money for hunts?

Now that the housing market has crashed and home values are down 50% many people are trying to figure out how they are going to pay their $5,000 a month house payment.

The safari industry grew during the dot com boom and more or less rode the wave through the housing boom. Unless we find another boom real soon the industry is going to be hurting.

Shakari is right, the convention must be a huge expense for outfitters. $3k for a booth, $1.5k per person for airfare, plus food and hotel......

I wonder how much extra they have to charge each hunter just to cover these costs.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
MacD you kill me with your logic as usual... Big Grin

OK, you want saccasm? Macifej, I'm pleased that you find me intertaining!

quote:
Keep biting that Callifornia & Guns propaganda MacD...there are far more guns and gun-owners in California than Texas or Nevada... Wink

What propaganda?????? I hope you don't think I live in the jungle of South America, because I would have to live there to believe that California has any more LEGAL guns, and LEGAL gun owners than Texas, Nevada maybe, because they don't have enough people to have many guns! The only people in Texas who don't own guns, are those who moved here from somplace where they weren't allowed to own them, and are brain washed against guns. Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
no stupid waiting time to take home your new firearm purchase!

Yet..!! Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
no stupid waiting time to take home your new firearm purchase!

Yet..!! Big Grin

Sorry about that! You were posting while I was editing my post!

Besides none of this has to do with a more centrally located SCI convention, with enough infrastructure for attendees!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In an conversation overheard between an SCI floor mgr. and an exhibitor...it cost SCI 2.5 mill more to host the convention in Vegas maily due to unions.
Now where can you hold the convention where it is easy for folks to get in and out via air and where weather is not a major concern?
Next, does that town have a building big enough to host the convention and the fund raising auctions? Does it have enough hotel/ motel space to host the visitors? Then as already mentioned is that city/ state gun/hunting friendly? Can it be held at a time when the exhibitors / outfitters etc. from overseas be here and still attend other conventions they need to make while in the USA? How long can you stay away from home or your job????
Then...does that convention center have the time slot open? Most of the major centers dates are booked 10 yrs. out.
You can bet that DSC is not going to back off of having their convention so why would SCI come to Dallas? Might turn out to be as stupid as when FNAWS / Ovis-Grand Slam got into a you know what contest over who could do what? That was a huge case of wasted money unless you were the lawyers on one side or the other. They must have laughed all the way to the bank!
Many folks that attend these conventions are member of both DSC and SCI as I am be they attendees or exhibitor. It makes no sense to me for both convention to be in the same city. I don't see the Dalas Safari Club suddenly hosting a convention in Des Moines, Dayton or Denver!!! SCI can go anywhere and still be the SCI Convention.
There seems to be no easy answer.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
just got in from Reno about 2 hours ago, yes the attendance was definitely down. i have worked off and on in a friends booth for years, so i have a pretty good feel for traffic. normally on Fri. and Sat. the floor is REALLY crowded- this year, definitely not. auction prices were also soft. my friends Tz. buff hunt donation went for $8500.( a 10 day hunt). and yes, it was a real bitch driving over Donner Pass this morning. left Reno at 8:30 and took 4 hours to Sacrament ( normally 2 and a half), after chaining up both my 4 wheel drive pickup and the trailer with booth supplies. most outfitters i talked to said bookings were slow. in spite of all that, had a great time

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Reno and must say a very good show as usual. Attendance was down quite a bit, but who wouldn't expect that with the current status of the economy and the fact that the SCI Convention had at least three banner years preceeding this one.

Everyone I talked with (exhibitors) agreed attendance was lower but all had plenty of "buyers" to talk and deal with. Personally I thought the smaller crowd was a bonus as it made talking with the folks you really wanted a word with much easier.

As usual, SCI covered all the bases with their usual proffesional expertise. Shuttles were flawless, weather very nice for January in the high country, auctions, seminars all were up to expectations. The show food was, show food, but served up by lots of friendly Reno folks.

Say what you want, but there is not a better overall "hunters show" anywhere else and no one organization doing more for hunters Worldwide than SCI.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
As usual, SCI covered all the bases with their usual proffesional expertise. Shuttles were flawless, weather very nice for January in the high country, auctions, seminars all were up to expectations. The show food was, show food, but served up by lots of friendly Reno folks.

Say what you want, but there is not a better overall "hunters show" anywhere else and no one organization doing more for hunters Worldwide than SCI.

What he said thumb

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, the attendance was down, but like what has been previously said, it made the convention more enjoyable. You could walk around, talk to just about anybody without standing for quite some time and waiting, and people were eager to sell their wares. For me the bonus was attending the Continuing Legal Education Class and subsequently having lunch with Justice Scalia, and then hearing him speak again that evening at the closing dinner and auction. I also got to talk to Tom Selleck briefly while we were both looking for ammo belts at the Westley Richards booth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
In an conversation overheard between an SCI floor mgr. and an exhibitor...it cost SCI 2.5 mill more to host the convention in Vegas maily due to unions.
Now where can you hold the convention where it is easy for folks to get in and out via air and where weather is not a major concern?
Next, does that town have a building big enough to host the convention and the fund raising auctions? Does it have enough hotel/ motel space to host the visitors? Then as already mentioned is that city/ state gun/hunting friendly? Can it be held at a time when the exhibitors / outfitters etc. from overseas be here and still attend other conventions they need to make while in the USA? How long can you stay away from home or your job????
Then...does that convention center have the time slot open? Most of the major centers dates are booked 10 yrs. out.
You can bet that DSC is not going to back off of having their convention so why would SCI come to Dallas? Might turn out to be as stupid as when FNAWS / Ovis-Grand Slam got into a you know what contest over who could do what? That was a huge case of wasted money unless you were the lawyers on one side or the other. They must have laughed all the way to the bank!
Many folks that attend these conventions are member of both DSC and SCI as I am be they attendees or exhibitor. It makes no sense to me for both convention to be in the same city. I don't see the Dalas Safari Club suddenly hosting a convention in Des Moines, Dayton or Denver!!! SCI can go anywhere and still be the SCI Convention.
There seems to be no easy answer.

Of course this is heresay but I overheard a past SCI president say that the SCI show will be in Dallas in 2012 or 2013. I do not know what year but he said it was a done deal. I assume he knows what he is talking about but then.......

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it was agreat Show. Absolutly HUNTER FRINDLY FOLKS in Reno from the Airport staff to the Restaurant Service etc...This sure you cant find in Europe !

Big Outfitters from TZ and Botswana where not so happy with there Booking Situation. Special Offers where made when you ask...

Riflemakers what i know didnt complain to much.

The Taxidermy work displayed was outstanding !

I enjoyed it very much.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Now where can you hold the convention where it is easy for folks to get in and out via air and where weather is not a major concern?
Next, does that town have a building big enough to host the convention and the fund raising auctions? Does it have enough hotel/ motel space to host the visitors? Then as already mentioned is that city/ state gun/hunting friendly? Can it be held at a time when the exhibitors / outfitters etc. from overseas be here and still attend other conventions they need to make while in the USA?...

Harry, The obvious answer to your question, as posed, is Orlando, Where the SHOT Show only fills 1/2 the space!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But the strip clubs suck here! LOL!!!!!!!!

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larryshores: I think that issue caused a problem for a couple of NBA players a few years ago....

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is true. The laws have changed.

I was making a joke.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Attendance was 23,000 in 2008. This past week the attendance was 18,000. Not as crowded but evidently the right folks showed up. We filled up any holes we had in the schedule and extended out a bit. The show was okay for us.

I don't understand the Dallas 2013 move either Confused I do know that when the show has been in Las Vegas it always cost us about one third more expensewise. Frowner

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Foot traffic was down but buyers were there. I talked to very few tyre kickers. High end sales were excellent for us. Some of the folks we work with did have slow sales at the convention. Although no one approached me about a "DEAL" I will admit there are some discounts for '09 with some great operators. Lions, elephant and some specialty antelope may be a litte cheaper.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Mark but still no great deals on a Leopard - Sable Safari! Oh well like a Leopard at a waterhole I can wait!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
I dont trust any of you people. I will wait for the truth from Bahgdad Bob.

Good News!! This was the most heavily attended SCI show in 23 years!

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought I saw him go by! Big Grin

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote