Find
Notify
Tools

Attendance at SCI down?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
I had to cancel due to back problems, but I had a phone call last night saying attendance was down and rumor is that 4,000 cancellations were received by SCI leading up to the event. The aisles were not crowded on Wednesday and it reminded the caller of what it used to be like some years ago as he was able to get around the entire show in a day.

I haven't missed one in 14 years and wonder if anyone attending from AR has similar experiences this year?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fourteen years means you really enjoyed the show.I was thinking of going for the first time this year but it seems unlikely.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going, but the news says “storms are coming in”. Chains are already required. I got stuck in the storm traffic coming home last year from the convention. I’m not doing that again.

When are they going to switch to Vegas?

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Excellent Idea or better yet San Diego...someplace with a proper airport that doesn't get snow.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
San Diego is one of the nicer cities in N. America with the absolute best average weather of any. It is also one of the most expensive and when the fog rolls in it's one of the least accessible, by air @ least.
Most major cities on the Left coast are not very hunter and gun friendly and some of us would rather spend our money where we are appreciated. Las Vegas is o.k., Denver, or DFW if the Dallas Safari Club didn't exist.
Maybe the decision makers will find the answer and maybe it will be convenient to the majority. Maybe!

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Safari Hunter:
I was going, but the news says “storms are coming in”. Chains are already required. I got stuck in the storm traffic coming home last year from the convention. I’m not doing that again.

God I just love the internet popcorn

I drove to Reno from Redding Wednesday morning with no Traffic problems. I returned late Wednesday night on dry roads. No snow in sight.

Attendance at the Convention seemed to be normal for a Wednesday. As usual a great show, wish I could have spent my normal 3 days but because of financial consideration, one day had to do it.

Had a good visit with Wendell, Con Van Wyk, and Jonathan Taylor. Really needed more time to ogle the lion mounts and fondle the Hi $$ doubles, but that's the way things were this year, next year will be better.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today – Rain
Friday – Chance of Rain
Sat – Chance of Rain
Sun – Snow

Sunday doesn’t sound like its going to be a smooth trip?

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Parham:
S
Most major cities on the Left coast are not very hunter and gun friendly and some of us would rather spend our money where we are appreciated.

That's the truth!

Plus, it has always has bugged me that gun makers all seem to be in very gun unfriendly places.

As Will Rogers said, "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging". So, when you find your gun and hunting dollars are being used against you, spend them somewhere else.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wednesday was very low attendance. Today (Thursday) the aisles are crowded.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
gun makers all seem to be in very gun unfriendly places

Established makers tend to be located in the area of their historical origins...New England...

New manufacturers locate where they have access to technical resources and infrastructure...they aren't necessarily making a political statement with their location...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
9 replies. One of which answered the OP and 8 of which are "out there". Thanks Kathi.

Ya gotta love the internet!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
9 replies. One of which answered the OP and 8 of which are "out there". Thanks Kathi.

Ya gotta love the internet!

Yep! Even provincial types offering insipid commentary step right up...

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have heard from outfitters throughout the show that they understand registrations to be down 35% -40% over previous years.

As Kathi says there was more of a crowd today but not really crowded. It was actually rather pleasant walking around.

Outfitters seem to be booking hunts and several said that yesterday had been a "good day" for bookings.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Attendance at the Convention seemed to be normal for a Wednesday.

Guess this does not count Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Of course it doesn't count. You're from Redding, after all. holycow

And it apparently wasn't "normal for a Wednesday" according to others reporting. What convention years did you use to arrive at your median normal? Confused

Great traffic and weather report, though. clap

Thanks for playing. beer

jumping

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I attended in 2001,2,3,4,5,6,7. Missed 2008 While it was in the dim historic past, I recall that Wednesday was lighter in 2007.

I am just an Old Guy doing his best to survive the deer, elk, antelope and waterfowl seasons in the NorthState. I forgot the salmon and steelhead runs on the Trinity River. Oh forgot (told you I was old) learning to catch bass in Shasta Lake. Yea, Redding sucks. clap

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I called out to the records department to follow up on something for a Namibian PH I know. This was about a week ago. While they were checking on the info for me they also checked the reservations to see if I was coming this year. I then got asked about it. I dont have a problem with that but I didnt take it as a good sign of reservations. I found someone to cover for me this weekend so looked into reservations last night. I could still get rooms at the Peppermill. In the past that would have been impossible. Another bad sign. Still not going as cant get a decent flight out.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
9 replies. One of which answered the OP and 8 of which are "out there".

How can a person ask if the attendance is down on the first day? Should someone give you an answer for next year too?

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Today I had to wait/ come back several times to speak with Mokore Safari, Gracy Travel, Atcheson Taxidermy due to heavy traffic.

I am particularly offended that they did not appreciate my personal importance in advance and make special accomodation for my time and presence. shocker

Attendance seems to be good, I hope this answeres the question.

Posts: 9438 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back attending Wed/Thursday. Wednesday was lighter than normal, but a definite uptick in traffic today. It was quite easy to make your way around. After talking to several outfittters and booking agents it is obvious bookings thus far are down signifcantly, probably around 30%. However, that was bookings for 2010, not 2009. I also attended most of both day autions and there were very few bargains, the bidding appeared strong.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
I think it was lighter on Wednesday due to all the normal attendees attending Obama's inauguration.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
JBoutfishn - You're a good sport and I may come to Redding and get in some Steelhead fishn.

Mike Smith - Very interesting about the Peppermill vacancy. Attendance is definitely down if rooms are available at the host hotel.

CA Safari Hunter - You begin by...Oh hell, nevermind.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told that pre- registration was 40% off. Having heard all that and more about attendance, a friend called me last night and said they were doing some business. Not a record breaker but solid bookings by folks who came to book hunts. Maybe the economy has sorted the tire kickers.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
One of the most interesting dynamics regarding attendance reports for the current SCI event is what motivations one has in inflating the figures or presenting a rosy picture.

Consider:

If attendance is up or "normal" or only slightly off, then things must be OK/good economically and the impact on the safari business and its associates - travel, airline, insurance, etc. - must be minimal. Thus prices can remain at current levels.

On the otherhand, if attendance is down and therefore bookings are as well, then perhaps prices will fall. If there is anticipation that a price drop is immanent, then many people with impacted disposable income will "wait & see" before booking.

There are many and varied interests in this equation. I don't believe the 2009 season, for which many bookings were done a year or two ago will be greatly impacted, although cancellations may increase as the year progresses. However, the 2010 season bookings coming out of SCI Reno should be a strong indicator of where things are going in the industry. Of course, vested interests may claim anything they like in this regard as there are no requirements regarding accountability forecasts.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont trust any of you people. I will wait for the truth from Bahgdad Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everone and most businesses have been impacted negatively by this economic slump. Regardless of the BS and whats being said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that so will the hunting business!

I am sure there will be some good deals for those who can afford to go.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It never "tells good" to say attendance at a convention was down from the previous year. I remember some years back when SCI opened the doors and let locals in free on the last day of the convention if they joined SCI for $30. I wonder if that will happen again?

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
In the years past finding a top outfitter that had a lion on quota for current year was a problem.

The folks that I talked to all had lion available this year. Read between the lines.

LionHunter, taking ones self to seriously is a waste of time because no one else does Smiler I laugh a lot until that steelhead flips me the fin. Hate it when that happens.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was way down on Wednesday. I am personal friends with a major booking agent and a number of PH's. All expressed concerned Wednesday night
Night.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
JBoutfishn - Thanks for the comment about available Lion, and I agree completely that it is a strong indicator of conditions. I remember just a few years ago when there wasn't a Lion to be had anywhere on the convention floor by COB Thursday.

I know the feeling of the Steelhead fin flip all too well! Sorta like watching the Buff you just hit re-enter the herd as it takes off in a cloud of dust!

RBHunt - Yeah, I was there and was really pissed when SCI made that decision. I don't think it did us any good. I stopped going to the show on Saturdays after that brilliant decision. Recently I've limited attendance to Wed & Thur and the vets breakfast on Friday, then I'm outta there.

I must confess that after so many years, I miss being there this year, even if for only two days. Good to hear these reports, regardless of the nature. Thanks all.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the most interesting dynamics regarding attendance reports for the current SCI event is what motivations one has in inflating the figures or presenting a rosy picture.

Consider:

If attendance is up or "normal" or only slightly off, then things must be OK/good economically and the impact on the safari business and its associates - travel, airline, insurance, etc. - must be minimal. Thus prices can remain at current levels.

On the otherhand, if attendance is down and therefore bookings are as well, then perhaps prices will fall. If there is anticipation that a price drop is immanent, then many people with impacted disposable income will "wait & see" before booking.

There are many and varied interests in this equation. I don't believe the 2009 season, for which many bookings were done a year or two ago will be greatly impacted, although cancellations may increase as the year progresses. However, the 2010 season bookings coming out of SCI Reno should be a strong indicator of where things are going in the industry. Of course, vested interests may claim anything they like in this regard as there are no requirements regarding accountability forecasts.

Bravo lionhunter, well said. clap

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If things get as bad as many newsagencies etc are forecasting, it wouldn't suprise me at all if a lot of safari companies might be forced to reconsider their entire marketing atrategies.. esp with regard to the 2010 (and perhaps beyond) convention attendance and donations etc.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:

Excellent Idea or better yet San Diego...someplace with a proper airport that doesn't get snow.

I don't want anything to do with firearms in the state of California! Besides it is on the west coast 3000 miles from anyone on the East coast. A better idea would be PHX! The sun shines everyday of the year, the airport is always open, it is warm in winter, and almost centrally located,not to mention it is not in an anti-gun state, and TUS is the home of SCI!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
personally I think San Antonio would be ideal for the SCI annual convention, good weather, lots of accommodations, good airport access and very driveable for many.

Not that it really matters what I say!

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drove up thursday morning with very little snow and drove back friday afternoon with no snow. The show on thursday was less crowded than last year. Outfitters I talked to said bookings were down from last year. Walked by Chifutti safaris and Andrew and Paul had nobody to talk to so I had a good conversation with both. Last year you couldnt get down the isle they were on. Almost everybody I talked to had openings for 09.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went up Wed night and came back last night. Both Thursday and Friday attendance were down significantly from past several years. No problem getting around, talking to whomever you wanted and getting all the time you needed. Several outfitters I know who are generally booked solid at this point for '09 and into '10 have good openings left for '09. There were no "deals' yet on hunts that I saw, but others, such as taxidermists and artists would definitely wheel and deal, even without being asked. The slow down will hit the outifitters later this year, with more cancellations, etc. To Shakari's point, I hope that all the outfitters have to worry about next year are their marketing strategies and budgets and not their livelihood. Given the approach that it looks like the new admin is going to take here in the US to this crisis, we could be in for a long recession akin to Japan in the 90's. I sure hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look that way.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:

I don't want anything to do with firearms in the state of California! Besides it is on the west coast 3000 miles from anyone on the East coast. A better idea would be PHX! The sun shines everyday of the year, the airport is always open, it is warm in winter, and almost centrally located,not to mention it is not in an anti-gun state, and TUS is the home of SCI!

MacD you kill me with your logic as usual... Big Grin

Reno is the middle of friggin nowhere without any serious accomodatons/dining etc. You can't even get there directly from SAN. Probably the cheapest place in the country and that's why SCI keeps going back.

Regarding Phoenix (and Reno for that matter)...it's easier to get to the west coast from the east than to Phoenix but hey it's an hour hop for all of us in SoCal so that's good too. The flight to Reno from San is $1050 and all day to get there. Vegas or Phoenix is $39.

Keep biting that Callifornia & Guns propaganda MacD...there are far more guns and gun-owners in California than Texas or Nevada... Wink

If they ever move the thing here make sure you leave your Coupe De Ville at home cause our parking spaces are notoriously small here... rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I nominate Branson, Missouri.

Its smack in the middle of the country, accessed through (cheap) Allegiant flights to Springfield Branson airport, over 20,000 motel rooms, over 100 live entertainment shows for the ladies, friendly people, recognizes veterans, very low crime rate, excellent fishing, no gambling, near Bass Pro shop headquarters and a brand new convention center.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the following is a direct quote from a friend who is a booking agent I inquired about the show . His response was "worst show ever."b

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I went to the show yesterday. The show was not very crowded, but I'd already been told it was a very slow show by a couple of the exhibitors that I know. I got to talk to the people I needed to see, and then wandered around for a while. I did stop and talk to an artist friend who has been an exhibitor going clear back to the mid-1980s. He told me that it has been the worst show for him, by far, of any of the twenty plus years he's had a booth at SCI. One of the PHs for a top Tanzania company told me that business was 'quite slow' and that they were hoping to fill some of the cancellations they've recently had and would consider the show a success if they could just do that.

As for the roads, I live on the west side of the mountains, right in the first hills about 2 1/4 hours from Reno. Going over, Interstate 80 was fine. It was raining lightly, and 38 degrees on Donner Summit. Coming back last night, it was raining harder, so visibility sucked, but it was still 34 degrees on Donner and raining harder. We have had a cold front roll in this afternoon, so the snow levels will be dropping tonight. We're expoecting a moderate amount of rain & snow tomorrow, so getting over the summit will be a bit of a mess, but should not be terrible by any means.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote