THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A little help from the more artistic amongst you please (competition)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little help from the more artistic amongst you please (competition)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Folks,

We like to dress all our staff reasonably well when hunting in the African bush, and are not really into hacked off shirt sleeves and bandanas etc and with this mind, and for a little fun....... We've decided we want to create a new logo for our hunting shirts & hats etc that we give to our PHs, staff and occasionally, even a client.

We're asking a few pro companies for their ideas but if anyone out there would like to contribute their ideas, they'd be very welcome, and if we use them, we'll send you a prize or two as a thank you.

Our criteria is that the logo has one of the Big 5 on it, preferably a Buff head, the words, Kuduland Safaris & Tanzania (we'll replace that one with Botswana etc as needed) and the web addresses kuduland.com and shakariconnection.com

You can either post your ideas here or e-mail them to me at shakari3@mweb.co.za

Thanks in advance.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Shakiri, I've noticed that trackers like the full length coveralls but most look a little too "industrial" and don't really evoke anything African. I think they need to be remodelled somehow to give them a more traditional look. I'm not saying I know how to do it (cause I don't) but there must be some fashion mongers out there who do. I think field gray or a brownish khaki color would help and having some cartridge loops sewn into the chests or around the belt would look good, even if totally useless.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi Wink,

We've decided what they'll be wearing which will be long sleeved shirts, trousers cap and boots. For Tanzania and Botswana colours will be an olive green and a lighter Khaki for SA etc. - What we need help with is the logo to put on the shirts and cap etc.

PHs and staff eill wear basically the same uniform and we want everything to look professional rather than industrial.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nudes are always nice Big Grin Cool Wink

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long time do we have to make the logo and in what size had it to be. The logo must it be on the back of the shirt ore just a smalle one on the chest?
Grafic ore photografic logo ?

hunt safe
wisent

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I guess I need to make a decision in about 3 or 4 weeks time and the logo needs to fit onto the chest/shoulder area of a shirt above the pocket. doesn't need to be huge. I guess about 3 or 4 inches or so. We can have it reduced to fit onto the front of a baseball cap.

The image will be embroidered onto the items, but we might also use a smaller version as an e-mail header etc, so I guess either graphic or photographic is acceptable for ideas.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
One color or multiple colors? Sounds like a fun project!

heath

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
Wish I had some artistic ability. Sounds like a great project.
Now as far a butchloc, aren't your people mostly male? And he wants nudes? Big Grin

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
Check your PM's. I sent you something that will help.
Good hunting,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
One color or multiple colors? Sounds like a fun project!

heath

Heath,

It's not a problem to make it multi colour.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Steve, I just sent you a couple of ideas via email from my home computer, mhharmon(at)comcast.net. Heath

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
steve, did you get the email i sent you? mhharmon(at)comcast.net

heath

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi Heath,

I Don't think it arrived here. - We've been having a few server problrms recently. - If it did arrive, I didn't see it, but it might have gotten sent to the office. - Can I ask you you to resend it to my personal computer as shakari3@mweb.co.za - Thanks

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Just to follow up on my email to you, I sent one on the 27th. Let me know if you received it. Seems this public site is more reliable than our private email... :-(

Thanks, BAxter

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi Baxter,

I don't remember seeing it, perhaps you could please send it to my private address that comes straight to my laptop at shakari3@mweb.co.za

I aplogise for this, but we've been having no end of server problems over the last few weeks.

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That's where i sent it. PErhaps it is in your spam folder. I use a @mac account and maybe it gets hung up. I can send it from gmail and yahoo too so I'll try both and hopefully one gets through.

_Baxter

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Steve:

Let me see if I have this straight:

You want someone to design a logo that includes the head of an animal, your company's full name, two website addresses, and the names of the countries you operate in.

You want to be able to embroider it and fit it over a pocket, and you’re willing to pay .... nothing?

Early in my life I was a commercial artist working in advertising and public relations. I used to charge my clients $1,500 to $7,500 (depending upon projected future use) for logos.

That was more than forty years ago, when the sticker price on a fully loaded Chevrolet station wagon was less than $5,000.

I’ve been out of that business a long time and have no idea what designers are charging now, but about fifteen years ago I read that the University of Arizona paid more than $150,000 for its stylized “A†logo.

There was a minor local flap about the school spending public money that way until a reporter did some industry research and found the price actually was a bargain.

Bill Quimby

Incidentally, if any legal types are reading this I need some work and have decided to run a contest. I need a revokable trust, medical power of attorney, living will, the works. Run a few ideas past me and you might win a prize or two if I choose your submission.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
hey bill, i know what you're saying. I am a graphic designer. but the work i do daily isnt always the most fun and creative. here's a chance to do something fun and unique. if i were a freelancer, sure, i'd want something in return. but with a full time job, doing fun projects is kinda like therapy!

heath

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:

Incidentally, if any legal types are reading this I need some work and have decided to run a contest. I need a revokable trust, medical power of attorney, living will, the works. Run a few ideas past me and you might win a prize or two if I choose your submission.

Bill here is my advice pay it all into the account nr i will pm you with all your details and power of attorney and i will show you what to do with it lol

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,

No, you don't have it straight. If you re-read my original post, you'll see I said we're also using a few professional companies for their ideas........ I also asked forum members for their ideas as well and said if we chose any of those, we'll give a prize of some sort.

The problem with the pro companies is already becoming evident in that whilst they're very artistic and professional, they don't really seem to know enough about hunting to give me what I want. The reason I asked here as well, was to make it a bit of FUN and nothing more.

What's already becoming evident is that because the forum members do know about hunting, their ideas are at least as good, and in many cases better than the professional ideas. (although we're still waiting to hear from one pro company)- The professional graphics tend to be better in general with the pros, but that's just sizzle rather than steak. - The idea itself is the steak.

To be honest, I expected the forum ideas to be a little like my own, which is a bit amateurish and not really 'stylish' enough for what I want to convey ...... nothing could have been further from the truth. We have a massive wealth of talent here and I'm extremely grateful to those who have sent me their ideas. - But I guess that's a lot of the point of the forum, to help each other with ideas and information. Or at least, that's how I see it.

What makes it harder, is that I want something out of the ordinary. I don't want the same as all the other companies have, I want something with style .............hope that helps clear any confusion/misunderstanding.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Steve:

I didn't mean to be argumentative. I'm emailing a pdf with a suggested design. I don't need a prize if you decide to use it.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,

That wasn't my intention either. Thanks and I'll look forward to receiving your e-mail. - Actually, I guess I should have thought of asking your advice in the first place as you've had all that experience with SCI..... homer

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Actually, I guess I should have thought of asking your advice in the first place as you've had all that experience with SCI..... "

Steve:

Actually, for nearly all of the years I was at SCI I had an art director and a staff of artists who reported to me. I did virtually no design work.

I was surprised to read in another thread that you don't attend hunting conventions. How do you get your customers?

Bill Quimby

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,

This isn't supposed to sound like an advert! - but there are no short answers to your question,

We get a very high percentage of repeat bookings and personal recommendations and we also do fairly well on web sales. - Some of which also come from recommendations from past clients. This means that it's not financially viable for us to go to the conventions, spend all that money and make those donations just to sell what we have left. (I also object to the donation thing on principle) It'd cost us more to attend than we would make on the additional sales. I'd actually like to attend the conventions for the social thing, not to exhibit, but when they're on, we're always tied to the computers here e-mailing clients etc.

In fact, I can't even remember the last time we placed an advert in a magazine. - probably not for 7 or 8 years at least. - Also can't remember the last time we used an agent.

I guess we're lucky in that a lot of our clients fit a certain profile..... that of being money rich and time poor. These people don't like to be kept waiting, they expect prompt and effecient service and like to have all the detail taken care of for them. - We do that. We reply to all e-mails within 24 hours, usually with 1 or 2 hours and that's almost 24/7/365. (We do sleep sometimes!) Even when we're in the bush, we use a BGAN at least twice a day to access and reply to e-mails. We try to ensure that we're ALWAYS one step ahead of the client. As he arrives in the baggage hall, we have a man waiting to meet him. As he steps out of the airport building, we have a vehicle there, with the door open and the engine and air con running..... and it goes like that all the way through the safari - AND beyond it. As far as we're concerned, the safari isn't over until their trophies are on the wall. - It's not uncommon for us to never talk or e-mail to the client themselves until they actually arrive on the charter. - We often do all the safari planning and communications etc with secretaries/PAs etc.

We do also get some ordinary working Joes, but they also tend to be guys that don't like to be jerked around or kept waiting and appreciate that a quality product isn't the cheapest product.

Another thing that helps us stay ticking over, is that I also do some freelance work for other outfitters, mostly for cats and/or occasionally when a specific client books with them for some reason, but asks for me as their PH. - I'm always happy to do that as well if I'm available..... but once I'm committed to a hunt, I don't ever palm it off to another PH.

I suppose I often attract a certain type of hunter just by my individual style of hunting. I don't BS and tell it like it is to everyone, I like to hunt up close and personal and I like to talk about the bush, trees & birds etc as and when the opportunity arises. - Most of my clients appreciate that. - The other PHs who work for us are also of the same kind of style.

I guess most of our prices are similar to that of our competition and we probably don't make any more money than they do, but we just direct the time and money we would spend at the conventions to giving a different, perhaps better service to the clients instead.

It might not work for everyone, but it works for us.

Hope that helps. Wink

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"It might not work for everyone, but it works for us."

Thanks, Steve. You obviously have found your niche.

BQ

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
well steve, what's your decision? =)

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
We're still working on it and hope to have made a decision in the next few days..... we got sidetracked with a more important issue that needed to be dealt with qhich delayed matters. Sorry 'bout that. - Give me a few days to work something out........