THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Question for Dave Fulson, Tim Herald, Aaron Neilson
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Dave Fulson, Tim Herald, Aaron Neilson
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Gents, curious, have The Outdoor Channel and The Sportsman Channel put the kibosh on showing elephant hunts? I was thinking today that I have seen a bunch of buffalo hunts, a number of leopard hunts, the occasional lion, croc and hippo hunt but could not recall the last time I saw an elephant hunt. Made me curious whether political correctness is now driving the outdoor programming too. PM me if you are uncomfortable responding directly for whatever reason. Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed the same. Save for ONE lion hunt (by Aaron, if I recall correctly), I've only seen buff and leopard hunts. Can't say I recall seeing a single ele hunt since I added the two channels to my tv package last fall.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I saw one couple of months ago, can't recall which show

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Mike, as I understand it you are correct!

Dave would be the best one to respond to your question.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not had much interest since the issues with CTB arose a couple years ago.

I do await a response by any or all of the gentlemen involved with the show...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have an ele hunt scheduled to air in 3 weeks from Caprivi last year. I heard the other day that they don't want any lion hunts, and they are thinking about banning cats, period (which is ridiculous), but I have not heard of a moratorium on ele hunts. Dave will know better than me though.

And yes- I think they are bowing to PC, and I hate it. It would be great if tons of people would contact the network and let them know you are in favor of ele and cat hunts. BTW...Outdoor and Sportsman Channels are now the same company...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
If they want to "ban" something about hunting how about "banning" of the high five, fist pumping, etc. And while we are at it, "you Smoked him," or "you hammered him," etc. Not exactly a way to appeal to the masses.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said!
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
If they want to "ban" something about hunting how about "banning" of the high five, fist pumping, etc. And while we are at it, "you Smoked him," or "you hammered him," etc. Not exactly a way to appeal to the masses.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Well said!
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:

Ban cat and elephant shows? Wow

Here are just a couple things that I wish these networks would get rid off

Celebrity hunters who show up on the tour bus for a 2 day "Hunt"

Willie Robertson.....Deer hunting shows

Boom shockalocka strait up smoked heem!!......any Waddell show

BBD or I smoked him and giving trail camera deer a name.......any Lykosky shows

Anything pigman puts on TV

OMG.....the list could go 20 pages deep

The Outdoor and The Sportsmans Channels don't even realize what kind of crap that they put out there....or do they give a shit?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Amen. These channels have enough s--t to overload a septic tank...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Willie Robertson.....Deer hunting shows

Boom shockalocka strait up smoked heem!!......any Waddell show

BBD or I smoked him and giving trail camera deer a name.......any Lykosky shows

Anything pigman puts on TV

+1000

If I see one more tour bus with some "country music" singer pull up to the deer pen I'm gonna barf

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It's sad but 95% of hunting shows do more harm than good.

The entertainment value runs a close parallel to WWE wrestling and some are literally like watching a product infomercial.

Outdoor TV personalities......JMO but it's time or past time to re-think and re-group

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
correct on the hunting shows. I'd rather watch WWE! And lately we have the hunting shows now posted here too barf Too bad they can't keep them on the cable tv that I don't buy.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you hit the nail right on the head Ted!
shane
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
It's sad but 95% of hunting shows do more harm than good.

The entertainment value runs a close parallel to WWE wrestling and some are literally like watching a product infomercial.

Outdoor TV personalities......JMO but it's time or past time to re-think and re-group

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its called "shutting the gate after the horse has bolted"!

The subject of high fives back-slapping, hee-haas, etc. and the negative impact it was creating was raised several years back; it was suggested to tone down as "times had changed".

All it got was criticsm by the blow-hards, the same ones who today are repeating the advice given at the time.

The anti hunting sentiment is not going to get better no matter what.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:

I was always amazed at the response of the hunting party on these shows after harvesting the quarry. I had to think it was simply part of the "production". Never could grasp the concept that this behavior was universal.
The only time I really ever noticed it in the field is when someone may have made a extended shot on a fast flying dove (i.e. "wow" great shot) and I am 59 years old and been hunting with my dad since I was six. Sure have not have not brought my children to respond in this fashion. They do not exhibit these traits either.
Whether you like him or not, Shockey has seems to demonstrate a somewhat reverent or awe approach to accepting his quarry.
Some of us may be more grateful to closure after a physically demanding stalk.
To each is own. I believe is a learned response in which the individual is brought up.
The production crews might consider a different path. With regard to TV, it will be skewed by viewer participation (ratings).

Its called "shutting the gate after the horse has bolted"!

The subject of high fives back-slapping, hee-haas, etc. and the negative impact it was creating was raised several years back; it was suggested to tone down as "times had changed".

All it got was criticsm by the blow-hards, the same ones who today are repeating the advice given at the time.

The anti hunting sentiment is not going to get better no matter what.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents
Reading this thread for the first time this AM. Of course a small few of the regular nut kickers were on hand, but the majority of the comments, ESPECIALLY Ted's post of things he DOES NOT like were in perfect step with what I view a personal turn offs when I am a viewer. First, as both Aaron and Tim have indicated, PC is alive and well on the networks. We were told two years ago by the past program director that elephant hunting, especially as was practiced by then host Carter, was no longer welcome on the network. Too controversial. Perhaps the fact that Carter was working on a non hunting format show with the network, and wanted to distance from on- air hunting played a part in that decision. So, on Outdoor Channel at least, no more elephant hunting. We went up the chain as far as possible to try to convince them that the conservation message from hunting this species was vital to it's survival but so far the decision to air elephant on that network have not changed. We have not received the same for lion thank goodness.
But, since the import ban, frankly, we have not been, nor have several of the outfits we film with, booking lion hunts with much success. On Sportsman Channel, where we air Dark and Dangerous and Trijicon's World Of Sports Afield, we have no off Limits species at this point. A fact we are very grateful for!
Have not even heard a whisper about a TV leopard ban. Should it come, we will have a change of direction as far as out productions are concerned.
One of the biggest problems is that the anti's flood the networks wit mail, petitions, and threats. The viewers that ENJOY our type of programming do just that, they watch and enjoy, but seldom drop an email to the network saying that they support programming like ours. A few well crafted emails go a LONG ways, but they are too few, and too far between. Just the fact guys.
I am a viewer, and a fan of some programming, and cringe, if not feel hostile at others ( see Ted's Post) so I get it guys.
We play a very hard, expensive, and often times un-fair game in the hunting TV production business. We feel the adventure of safari, or what ever adventure we are airing is THE STAR, and should be the focus. We are in the tiny minority on this issues. Besides Aaron, and Dan Catlin who's hard work, honesty, zero need for star recognition, and moral dependability make them blessings in my world, we are out of the big name host business. Again, we believe, and try to introduce THE HUNT as the star, and we try to treat our hunts, and the game we hunt with the dignity it deserves. Happiness, thrill, and genuine celebration? You damn right, happy to show that, but the other behavior that I see so often, well, it's not for us.
I support hunting here at home, and around the world, but times and perceptions are changing. And restrictions are piling up on us. If you enjoy a show, on any of the many network options today, PLEASE contact that network and let your feelings be known. They do listen, because they send the producers your comments. But as I said,and Tim,as a producer can back me up, it is a rare .
Thanks for the thread Mike, I hope my response clears up some of the questions so many have.
AND, for those of the AR family that have continued to watch our series, it is appreciated far more than you know...
Cheers
Dave

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Dave, and I agree.
Just an FYI- I was told within the last month that our production guys had a talk with network, and they told them no lions (we had one scheduled for next May in the Save), and that there was a very real chance they were going to ban all cats. I was not at the meeting, but that was what our guys told me. You might want to check into that as I know leopard hunts are pretty important to you guys...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments, "Nut kickers", noted.

Dave,

I am and have been of the mind that hunting isn't a very good spectator sport. Not your show, but all of them. The quality or lack of the particular show not withstanding.

The demographic of International Sport Hunters is just too small. I've long maintained we, as a demographic are far better served by just keeping our collective mouths shut and fly as low and fast under the radar as is possible.

Again, I will submit the Dr. Palmer Lion fiasco as proof. Had those picture NEVER been posted on social media, never mind the venue, we would not be in the weak position we are in right now.

Just another opinion.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Dave, Tim and Aaron, thanks for the feedback, I figured as much. I will get an email or letter (to Mitch Petrie) off in the next day or so to the networks. I have your respective email addresses and will bcc each of you. One would think that in the day and age of the Internet and cable television with hundreds and hundreds of worthless channels that if someone felt hunting shows were not their cup of tea they would simply change the channel to a home remodeling show.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve
In my way of thinking, why should our demographic be denied the same viewing opportunities that other sports enjoy? Of course I understand that hunting is 'different" in many regards, but the better shows DO promote our way of living and our many contributions to conservation, and we should be allowed to show that.
But DELIVERY IS EVERYTHING. Poor host behavior DOES HURT. Ethically hunting, and showing respect is a long way from 'shanking' game and celebrating body count.
We will continue to try to do it properly as long as allowed.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Steve
In my way of thinking, why should our demographic be denied the same viewing opportunities that other sports enjoy? Of course I understand that hunting is 'different" in many regards, but the better shows DO promote our way of living and our many contributions to conservation, and we should be allowed to show that.
But DELIVERY IS EVERYTHING. Poor host behavior DOES HURT. Ethically hunting, and showing respect is a long way from 'shanking' game and celebrating body count.

In no way am I saying we should be denied anything. I think that televising, what is arguably the most controversial species(s) being sport hunted is a hard sell to even the most ardent rank and file, American deer/elk hunter.

Its just a numbers game. Most guys I know in my daily life here in Arizona are shocked to know that we can still go to Africa and shoot Lions/Elephants. Support is lacking and televising it doesn't garner us any help.

I see it as a lose/lose. Obviously, the activity itself I'm fine with. We simply have different tactics as to how to continue it for our heirs.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve
Always appreciate, and respect your opinions. It is indeed a difficult road we travel at the moment.
Dave

Dave Fulson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve
Always appreciate, and respect your opinions. It is indeed a difficult road we travel at the moment.
Dave

Dave,

All this said, your show is great, keep it up as long as possible.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, would you happen to have contact info for these folks? Just to make sure it goes to the right person.

Every time I sent anything regarding a show, I never got anything back using a network comment page.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Unless I hear otherwise, I am planning to send my letter to:

Mr. Mitch Petrie
Outdoor Channel
Sportsman Channel
Vice President, Programming
1000 Chopper Circle
Denver, CO 80204

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NETWORK CONTACTS
Both Outdoor Channel, and Sportsman Channel have viewer feedback available. Go to homepage of each website and go to contact, or the email icon. We have shows on both. For Tracks Across Africa it's Outdoor Channel, for World Of Sports Afield and Dark and Dangerous we run on Sportsman.
You will have to provide viewer info, but rest assured they do read these, and pass them on to the producers, whether the feedback is good or bad. We have never been about the business of begging foe votes on network awards as some producers do non-stop. That is not why we are in this game. But...we do need your help if you want to continue to see safari and international hunting stay afloat in the sea of whitetail and turkey dominated programming. (See PC SAFE programming)
The few minutes you would invest to make your voice heard would be beyond appreciated, and it cam make a difference.
Thanks for myself, Tim, Arron and the others in our business trying to do it right.
Dave

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The Drury brothers have a show if I'm not mistaken that awards points and gives prizes to hunting teams....is this for real????

No way can this be good for our cause

But that's enough ventilation for now....there is more bad than good

Sad

Thank's for the details Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
The Drury brothers have a show if I'm not mistaken that awards points and gives prizes to hunting teams....is this for real????

No way can this be good for our cause

But that's enough ventilation for now....there is more bad than good

Sad

Thank's for the details Dave

Yep, they've been doing that for a few years now, IIRC.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching all of the fishing shows as they were all "contests" to yank a fish into the boat to weigh and win. What happened to the pure sport of fishing or hunting as we practice it?

Everything is a contest now. Disgusting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least Dutch does not paint us all with the same brush...

Dave Fulson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread and opinions.

There’s definitely an “in your face” attitude that has saturated the North American culture, particularly amongst the younger generation. Not sure where it started but it has engulfed most sports. Don’t believe me Watch a football game from back in the '60’s, '70’s, or even in the early ’80’s, there’s a different respect amongst the players then in today’s game. The taunting and trash talk has become part of the draw.

Sadly, mass media of today has given an arena to those who crave that same regard but lacked the athletic talent needed to achieve those heights of a professional athlete. Not all, but many of these hunting ‘celebrities’ parrot the buffoonery they have seen on TV thinking it will put them on the same plane as an athlete.

Problem is hunting is not a sport, not in the same sense as football anyway. Trash talking and hunting don’t mix. Taking an animal after much effort is something that should be celebrated, but the moment, process and animal should be revered. Unfortunately the shows that reflect these principles are the exception and not the rule.

The masses are drawn to the type of hype that is destroying the image most of us here embody, and in the end, we’re all thrown into the same pot by the non-hunting populous.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the thing that troubles me the most about the decision to eliminate or restrict from programming elephant and lion hunting is that it means there is one less avenue available to help tell the story of how elephant and lion hunting, properly done and presented in a tasteful and truthful manner, can support the conservation of both species. I realize that the outdoor television audience is limited and largely comprised of hunters but it is pretty clear that we have a serious educational challenge even among our own demographic.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I can see loosing the battle as PC crowd will eliminate African hunting with multiple laws against it by politicizing it heavily
But I have a hope , PC crowd will eventually turn to other things and lose interest

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As per usual, both Dave Unger and Mike Jines are on point. Well said...

Dave Fulson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As per usual, both Dave Unger and Mike Jines are on point. Well said...

Thank you my friend. Your shows are definitely the exception and the cream in the pot.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve

Thanks for being a warrior for the cause Dave, too many want to bow down and hope they are dead after this is all over. The truth is we should die fighting. I am slightly over 40 years old, I am fairly certain we are the last generation to do a lot of things in the hunting exotic travel realm. My grandfather was of the last generation to get to hunt tigers.

Will my grand kids be able to hunt Africa, Asia or Europe? Will their kids?

100 years from now when are all rotting in the bottom of some dark box, or our ashes are smeared across the canvas of wherever we choose we can say that we tried like hell to fight this battle instead of handing over our swords.

The anti-dickheads will gladly take over, if you want to surrender.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Perhaps the thing that troubles me the most about the decision to eliminate or restrict from programming elephant and lion hunting is that it means there is one less avenue available to help tell the story of how elephant and lion hunting, properly done and presented in a tasteful and truthful manner, can support the conservation of both species. I realize that the outdoor television audience is limited and largely comprised of hunters but it is pretty clear that we have a serious educational challenge even among our own demographic.

Mike, Please don't take this as argumentative or combative. I don't believe that showing the hunting of Lions and or Elephants on television will ever convince a single rank and file American that its OK to kill them.

That ship has sailed. Social media has seen to it to that our message has been marginalized and diminished. We are defined as ruthless, cruel killers and are compared to and at times called poachers.

Again, I don't have the answers but the current message isn't working. Televising our deepest, most intimate times in the field, the choosing to take the lives of these magnificent beast's we are so privileged to hunt, isn't a spectator sport.

We need to close the door to our bedrooms.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
social engineering at its' best.

In another forum I spoke about how the under-fifty generations are a ganging on smokers.
Many of you took the opportunity to hammer on me, citing the weak theory that it was unhealthy and my choice to smoke should be subjugated to your desire not to let me.

Now, you are seeing that same age group of social engineers going to work on what they refer to as "The Blood Sports". I expect to get hammered again, by the same people.

If you play that game, in any area, of "I know better what is best for you than you do...", OR "I don't like what you are doing, so STOP IT!", you are empowering your fellow social engineers to explore and exploit all of the other areas of personal freedom. Now your support for restricting or outlawing some things that you do not like is being used against you.

In 2016 it is Elephant, and shortly Lion and Leopard. Next year, if billary is elected, it will be other areas of hunting. We have wolves now in the NW, and the game herds suffer for it.

Next, it will be _____________________.

good luck with hunting, it will be gone in less than ten years. Nobody "needs" to kill any wild game.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
smokers.
Many of you took the opportunity to hammer on me, citing the weak theory that it was unhealthy

Rich

Please tell me you are joking.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote