THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    .366 North Fork for Leopard and Plains Game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.366 North Fork for Leopard and Plains Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm trying to decide between the 250gr and 286gr North Fork for my 9.3x62 for a leopard/plains game hunt in July. I'm leaning towards the 250gr, but wanted to get some opinions.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ps. The hunt will be in Namibia which is why I am leaning towards the lighter bullet.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee,

If the 250s shoot in your gun I would think they would be best for your intended game. The extra weight of the 286 won't be necessary. The leopard will kill easily with a proper hit using either bullet but the flatter trajectory of the 250s will be helpful with the PG.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12900 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your purposes the 250 is the way to go. A little more velocity thus flatter shooting. Norma offers a 232 grain bullet that would probably be better yet; your not hunting buffalo.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I took the 250 NF softs for a 9.3x62 to Namibia in 2005. Did not get to try them on leopard (cats were not cooperative) but they went through everything I hit them with and made very satisfactory holes. I would use them again. I think Mike Brady recommended that bullet weight in 9.3 for leopard and plains game but it has been a few years.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took 286gr north forks to South Africa in April. Shot kudu, wildebeest and zebra with no complaints.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to check the twist rate of the 9.3 you have. Most 9.3 rifles are built with a 1:14" twist and, for reliable terminal performance any bullet longer than 1.35" will tumble or turn every so often. Cats are fast and must be stopped as quickly as possible. Go for the shorter, faster bullet for this, it will not hurt any plains game performance.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If I was to hunt anywhere where the other DG reside then I would go the heavier bullet. Otherwise the 250grn will be great.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. I would normally take my 375 H&H, but I recently purchased a 9.3x62 and am itching to try it out in the field.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think either would work fine, but depending on where you hunt in Namibia, I would be ready for some longer shots. On my one trip to Namibia I took a mountain zebra at a legitimate 300 yards - longest shot I've ever taken at game. That's the closest we could get to them until the next day of course!!

The 250 or 286 will work for anything you shoot over there. Great bullet and a great cartridge for Africa.

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 286gr. TSX in my 9.3 for various game in Mozambique, Buff, Hippo, Croc, Sable, Bushbuck, Duiker, Eland, Baboon, etc. I did however opt for the 286gr Nosler Partition for my Leopard, worked great. The TSX and Nosler shot the same POI, so interchanging them was no problem on that trip. The Barnes TSX and Solids in 250gr shoot real well, but just opt for the heavier bullet.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International) Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote