New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little DSC 2015 Update
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Let me start off by saying I'm not trying to start another DSC versus SCI war (although it will probably sink to that), I simply wanted to relay a little information that many have asked for and is available for public consumption. DSC's 2015 convention, "Traditions" was our most successful convention to date, we had over 47,000 attendees and were able to raise a record amount of money at our auctions (without a rhino hunt), much of which will be used as grants to fund conservation, youth education and hunter advocacy efforts worldwide (I suspect a record amount for grants, too). Over 700 of you decided to become new members of DSC at the show, thank you. The credit for this success is due to those of you that chose to exhibit, and perhaps donate, to our show and to those of you that chose to visit our show and spend your hard earned dollars to support our efforts.
A couple of other things...our exhibitor breakfast was a huge success, being very well attended each morning and the exhibitor hospitality lounge, The Big Bull Lounge, was a gigantic (but very expensive) success, I bet it will be there again next year. If you want to stay at the Omni next year, plan on making your reservations very, very soon. The rooms will be booked solid in a very short period of time.
Finally, if any of you exhibitors or attendees have a legitimate complaint or a suggestion on how to make our show more enjoyable, please PM me and I'll arrange to contact you...we will listen.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was my ninth straight year attending the DSC show, & it just keeps getting better. Can't wait 'til next year. Thanks, Karl.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
As always, we enjoyed ourselves greatly Smiler

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You guys look like JV's Ha Ha
One thing I wish, we'd get together at SCI like that
I tried, but it's like everyone is scared of each other

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't been to SCI, but given what DSC has become, I'm not sure why I would need to do so. Only comment was the noise level at the Saturday night dinner was a bit loud. For folks with hearing loss, which I suspect is a number of us, I couldn't hear myself think.

Great job to DSC overall, however.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Haven't been to SCI, but given what DSC has become, I'm not sure why I would need to do so. Only comment was the noise level at the Saturday night dinner was a bit loud. For folks with hearing loss, which I suspect is a number of us, I couldn't hear myself think.

Join the club my friend.

I cannot even consider thinking in any noisy environment.

The cogs in my head only engage when I am in the bush, a few yards from a herd of buffalo!

Then I know there is nothing wrong with my hearing, as I can even hear the chirp of the tick birds rotflmo

Hopefully one day I will make it to DSC.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

Like you, I can hear in the bush when it's quiet. But add background noise, like the blaring loudspeakers in the dinner, or even the low rumble of noise at a cocktail party, and I can't hear a thing.

You should come to DSC. It's a great show. But if you do, don't stay at the Omni. No restaurants (yes, a couple, but long waits), limited bars (long waits). At least we didn't have the teeny-bopper cheerleaders this year.

There are better places to stay in Dallas close by.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are better places to stay in Dallas close by.

tu2

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kambaku
posted Hide Post
The Magnolia, I stay there every year. Short walk or you can pick up the shuttle bus near by.

Posts: 60 | Location: Indianapolis, only because that's where the check came from! | Registered: 21 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
As always, we enjoyed ourselves greatly

LDK, my invite must have gotten lost in the mail, is one of those cats your lawyer? animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We always have a blast. We will be back.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are so right about the noise level, I can't remember it ever being so noisy, even the auctioneer and his spotters commented on this. I don't know what we can do about it though, 1300 people can make a lot of noise without even trying (and apparently do). Like Saeed, I have a really hard time hearing in a noisy environment so I might have "mis-answered" a question or two during the banquets.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another great convention by DSC. I get a pretty good look into the work it takes the small DSC staff, and BIG and hardworking team of volunteers to put the convention on, and I continue to be amazed at the job they do. Proud to be a life member and vendor at the finest convention of it's kind!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went for the first time had a good time thought it was pretty well run

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K Evans:

Don't get me wrong. You had a great show as usual. I'm just half deaf when I get background noise. Great show and I'm not sure anything can be done about the noise or my deafness.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
K Evans:

Don't get me wrong. You had a great show as usual. I'm just half deaf when I get background noise. Great show and I'm not sure anything can be done about the noise or my deafness.

I have a very hard time filtering out the background noise so I can hear what is being said by those close to me. I am not sure that it is a hearing issue or attention issue with me.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
The increase in attendees on Thursday and Friday was interesting. I would think those were more serious shoppers and benefit the exhibitors to have the traffic spread out more. Any exhibitors notice an increase in sales on those dates versus prior years?

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great show and will be back. Biggest complaint I had and heard was the ability or lack of in buying a drink. The lack of being able to buy a drink and walk the show floor is not hospitable. More over, the tiny lounge area on the main floor where you could buy a drink but could not leave with it was overwhelming crowded all day and the 2 other lounges on either end of the shows were not frequented nearly as much. I understand TABC rules and "gun show" policies of alcohol and guns in proximity, but with DSC's clout and connections, surely a portion of the entry fee could be designated a "club" fee allowing alcohol to be purchased and enjoyed by clients in a vendor's booth. Hate to be negative but my wife and our group of friends we brought as guest to the show were disappointed in the setup since we were told in 2014 that the '15 show would be different. Again, great show and will return next year.

Posts: 5 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 11 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texasclay:
Great show and will be back. Biggest complaint I had and heard was the ability or lack of in buying a drink. The lack of being able to buy a drink and walk the show floor is not hospitable. More over, the tiny lounge area on the main floor where you could buy a drink but could not leave with it was overwhelming crowded all day and the 2 other lounges on either end of the shows were not frequented nearly as much. I understand TABC rules and "gun show" policies of alcohol and guns in proximity, but with DSC's clout and connections, surely a portion of the entry fee could be designated a "club" fee allowing alcohol to be purchased and enjoyed by clients in a vendor's booth. Hate to be negative but my wife and our group of friends we brought as guest to the show were disappointed in the setup since we were told in 2014 that the '15 show would be different. Again, great show and will return next year.

+1

Great show - 3 times there and will be coming back many more times.

The rules against drinking in a outfitters booth needs to go. We are not going to drink in the firearms booth. But to sit and have a nice cold beer or single malt scotch in a outfitters booth after 3-4 is fun, relaxing and conducive to business generation.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texasclay:

This is the number one complaint I have heard from exhibitors and attendees alike. There were more bars available this year, but still wasn't very convenient. This issue is being worked on very, very hard (and has been for well over a year) to find a solution acceptable to all parties. Stay tuned.

Karl

Karl

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a great show and a great time Karl.

I don't know about staying at the Omni. While it might be nice, we stayed at the Magnolia and apart from not getting our chocolate chip cookies I don't have a thing to complain about. They treated us wonderfully too.

My only complaint was waiting at Javiers. Even that was pretty fun.

Thanks to all the DSC volunteers for a great show and event. I haven't even thought of going to any other big show. Wink

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great show. Love it. Will go back every year.
But please tell the PA address announcer to STFU! That PA system is way too loud and distracts from the show and the ability to talk to people.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Great show. Love it. Will go back every year.
But please tell the PA address announcer to STFU! That PA system is way too loud and distracts from the show and the ability to talk to people.

This is the second most voiced complaint from exhibitors and attendees alike, next to the inability to enjoy an adult beverage while walking the show. Mine, too. It is very frustrating to try and carry on a conversation with someone (many times trying to help an exhibitor with a problem) and be drowned out by the PA. Along with the number one complaint, this one is being worked on too.
I think this one has a pretty easy fix though...

Karl

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How soon can reservations be made for the Omni for next year?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supposed to open for booking in mid March. I'll post something here as soon as I can get a firm date.

Karl

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
47 000 attendees is remarkable.Thank-you Karl and congratulations DSC for an excellent show.

Eardley Rudman

Posts: 47 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
My wife and I took the day off and went on Friday. It's something we do every year and probably our only must see event. I've been to SCI in Reno and Vegas a few times and would say that DSC is just as good for a lot less money. I have no reason or desire to go to another SCI show. Nothing wrong with them, but with everything you could ever want at this show, there just isn't any reason to. We enjoy the variety of things to see there, from the taxidermy, to the woodworking and art displays, to talking to so many different outfitters. Last year we found an outfitter for South Africa that turned out to be an amazing trip. This year we found one for moose in Alaska that we are looking forward to. My wife is fairly new to hunting and travel, so it was something new to her when she first went, but not she is almost childlike with excitement about going next year.

Eddie & Karen Walker

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote