THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What trophy stands out in your memory?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What trophy stands out in your memory?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Mark, here is a body shot for ya:

Walking up to the animal after the shot is a big high and so are trophy photos but the ultimate finish is the last little cut that separates the skin from the body. Big Grin

Maybe I need to get out more.

NICE gerenuk, by the way!!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone, for your great contributions. I'm sure I'll have something of my own to share later this year.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
For me it was my last leopard. I'll never forget him looking directly at me just before the shot

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:

Another recent outstanding first was this one: Mason Adkins [ChetNC's son] with his first furred animal. An obviously very proud youngster - and let me assure you, an equally [or more so] proud father not in the photo.

In good hunting

Andrew McLaren

That was a great day, Andrew.
In this case, my "greatest trophy" was the hunter in the picture, not the hunted.

Thanks for that memory, Andrew.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
In as much as I met her on a backpacking safari in Kenya in 1987 and we've been married for 22 years, I wonder if my wife would count? Failing that, the three hunts I would love to do are leopard on foot by running him down with a bushman tracker, Lord Derby Eland by tracking on foot, or a foot hunt for Mountain Nyala.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I'm with Jorge on this one. Without a doubt, it was my first African trophy. My first African safari was all very memorable, but this zebra on my first day will always stand out in my mind.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
For me it was my last leopard. I'll never forget him looking directly at me just before the shot

That is a BIG cat!

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing a large (55"+) kudu bull standing on top of an anthill looking back over his shoulder as the sun was setting over the Zimbabwe bush

Posts: 62 | Location: Crows Nest QLD. Australia | Registered: 22 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
umshiniwam: You can read about the incredible hunting of this big tom leopard, his unusual kill, and what lead to this cat's demise, in African Hunter, Volume 14, No. 6 at page 44. The story is entitled: "The Leopard Killing Leopard of Jonsyl Farm". Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
umshiniwam: You can read about the incredible hunting of this big tom leopard, his unusual kill, and what lead to this cat's demise, in African Hunter, Volume 14, No. 6 at page 44. The story is entitled: "The Leopard Killing Leopard of Jonsyl Farm". Big Grin

Would love to but unfortunately I am not a subscriber. Sounds liek an interesting story. Looking at that photo again, that has got to be one of the biggest Toms I have ever seen. What did he weigh? Length? Is these a hunt report here on AR?

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to page 157 of this forum and look under the 17 August 2008. It is entitled: "Back With A Monster Leopard From Zimbabwe" Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have a picture of the world record Zambezi sitatunga taken by Richard Bell Cross in his Kafue concession last year and at 35 inches it looks like a Kudu? Another is an oversized Kafue Lechwe and have sent them on to Slider so he can post them.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 24 year old I married when I was 46! lol

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go to page 157 of this forum and look under the 17 August 2008. It is entitled: "Back With A Monster Leopard From Zimbabwe" Big Grin

Found it, thanks. Incredible leopard!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My humble contribution. A 17 3/8" blesbuck taken in the Vrede district, Free State last July.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I'm posting these for Fairgame.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Fantastic trophies. Having shot good representatives of both animals I can fully appreciate how truly huge these animals are.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right -- that sitatunga looks like a kudu!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Most shoot Lechwe on a day trip on the fringes of the flats but if you can design a three to four day safari and get deep into the hinterlands then this is where most of the Lechwe are found. I am planning to do this myself so it will be interesting to see what is out there.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding trophies fairgame, truly outstanding.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I didn't have much interest in hunting sitatunga or lechwe until I saw those photographs. Now, I may have to reconsider my hunting plans.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I didn't have much interest in hunting sitatunga or lechwe until I saw those photographs. Now, I may have to reconsider my hunting plans.

I have asked Mark to get together a group at cost (no profit) and let us safari into these unexplored hinterlands. Basically the cost will be that of a Lechwe, some fine whisky and ordinary beer, and some diesel. Maybe a couple hundred bucks each to the Langley cause? I will donate the rest.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
That would be a great experience. If you put it together and invite "outsiders" I'd love to be considered.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Exceptional Andrew!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elephant bulls close up affect me in a way the nothing else to date ever has.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be a great experience. If you put it together and invite "outsiders" I'd love to be considered.

SBT,

AR members are not outsiders. You are more than welcome.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

I have asked Mark to get together a group at cost (no profit) and let us safari into these unexplored hinterlands. Basically the cost will be that of a Lechwe, some fine whisky and ordinary beer, and some diesel. Maybe a couple hundred bucks each to the Langley cause? I will donate the rest.

That would be great. Would you take a young german fellow as well Big Grin
To see that untouched swamps would be worth the travell.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sure I could take 4 - 6 people but probably need to advertise this on the hunting section. Let me see if a mate will help me out with a second vehicle and need to calculate logistical costs. Hunt will probably have to be early May before I start safari hunting.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of 350 Remington Magnum
posted Hide Post
It has to be my hunt at kafué.
Shot one for the pot, and one for the wall at New Year's Eve.

Weatherby, Symbol of Superiority!

Posts: 70 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have never been to Africa & so I will cheat and talk about India. The experience - the heat, the thorns, the dust, the rain, eyeballs grating...they must be similar to Africa in some ways....at least in spirit.

My recollections of the animals are the awesome sight of a tiger at 10 yards while we were on top of a riding elephant. He was a young 3 year old just leaving his mum but he was my first tiger and he gave us a great view for about 5 minutes before he slinked off into the elephant grass. The most scary and riveting sight was the 3 cow elephants charging - the nearest one was less 2 yards away as we escaped in a jeep! I can still remember the heat and the pebbles hitting us. I doubt if any taxidermist could recreate that as a mount!! For sheer majesty and sublime beauty it has to be the giant bull gaur with polished ebony skin, rippling "steroid" muscles and white stockings.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time narrowing it down to a single animal. So, I'm going to take the option of narrowing it down to a single day.

I was hunting north of Thabazimbi and early in the morning we came on a big herd of Cape Eland in thick brush. We started to track them and immediately noticed that one set of tracks dwarfed the rest. After about 2 hrs we got set up on the big footed bull and a single round brought him down. Here he is. He taped just a whisker under 40 inches with a very narrow set of horns.

After we got him loaded into the back of the truck and were headed back to camp, we saw a nice bunch of Greater Kudu. I bailed out of th truck and did a short stalk and got a quick shot as a good bull went between 2 bushes. Another single round did the trick. Here he is. He taped a little over 52 inches.

I know there have been bigger bulls of both species taken, but getting both these on the same day was pretty cool. And that was one full truck when we got to the skinning shed.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
The lion I use for my avatar stands out the most. I shot it near Mumbwa on my second day in Zambia in 1994.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it was my first Kudu.

Wanted to shoot one from the age of 12 and took me till I was 21 to save for the hunt.

Still hold pride of place 17 year latter.
Did not matter what size it was.

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Jorge - Your first African trophy is never "plain", congrats!

Does that mean I should mention a baboon? Wink

My most memorable will always be my first elephant. Being only 24 years old, on my first safari, having a bull charge us and stopping him at around 10 yards, and then having my F'ing gun jam, is a memory that I'll carry with me all my days.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cameronaussie:
For me it was my first Kudu.

Wanted to shoot one from the age of 12 and took me till I was 21 to save for the hunt.

Still hold pride of place 17 year latter.
Did not matter what size it was.

Regards Mark

Ditto for me, wanted one at a similar age, but had to wait about 25 yrs to get mine. Also it was my first African trophy.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
For me, my first kudu -- an Eastern Cape greater kudu, similar to the Ethiopian variety, because I wanted one for fourty years.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post

for me it was my leopard in Botswana. several times a day I walk by the pedestal mount and EVERY TIME I remember the look in his eyes as he dropped less than 10 feet off the shotgun muzzle on a full( unwounded) charge.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Two stand out to me. The first would be the one tusker that Buzz and I shot in Nyamuswa in 2009. Two years earlier we saw the same bull while sitting in a leopard blind one evening. He was in a group of bulls feeding all around the blind. Roll the clock forward two years and we go back to Nyamuswa. On the second day of the hunt we track a group of bulls and the one tusker was in the group. I took a side brain shot and he dropped in his tracks. The second was a cow that charged us later on the same hunt in 2009. She charged as we were backing up. She was coming like a freight train and was going so fast that when we shot at less than ten paces she flipped rear over head. That experience is seared into my memory forever.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My oldest son was 10. I took him to the RSA. He wanted a kudu in the worst kind of way. One day we saw a sizable specimen . Ryan crawled on his stomach for over 2 hours. He shot it 1 at something over 200 yards. At the time, it would have been the 6th largest ever taken. I had a very excited 10 year old on my hands.

Almost 18 years later, the full mount is still in the trophy room. I still see the look in his eye when he looks at it.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

Just because it was my first DG animal shot in Africa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote