SCI
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What does SCI Do?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you have made up your mind and you don't like people with a bit more quid than you have and are jelous of those that have had sucess.

The truth of the matter is SCI is a very good org. for hunters, in fact it is the only org dedicated to hunters rights.

Our local chapter raises funds which we use to provide help to youth programs and hunts for youngsters between 12 and 17 with life altering illnesses.

In spite of you bias I would welcome you as a new member of SCI.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not an SCI member either, but suggest you look at the organization as a whole and not judge based on pictures in magazines. If you judge that way, then you would expect all women to look like the models in Sports Illustrated.

You may want to consider some punctuation and spacing to make your post easier to read as well.

Posts: 10264 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will agree with Die OU Jagter, And add I knew nothing about them either, my taxidermist reccomended SCI to me. I had asked him how some guy like me (poor) could ever hunt Africa. At that time I knew no one that had Hunted Africa except him. I learned a lot the first year bought an auctioned hunt at the Greater Atlanta Chapt. Banquet and made a dream true. I might add I found this Awesome web site very informative and helpful as well (Thanks Saeed). So Join us for a one year membership in SCI , I bet you will like it

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In general I think SCI serves a very useful function from which I benefit, but I have too complaints about SCI:

1. SCI gives the appearance of being far more money oriented than service oriented.

2. SCI continues to auction illegal hunts (see, e.g., Out of Africa safaris donating Zimbabwe hunts to SCI, even though OoA is banned from hunting in Zim). I suspect that the guys who control SCI feel that the money is more important than an ethical principle.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
What does SCI Do?what are they really about and have they done anything for me & you?What have they done lately and should i join and should everyone join?I know absolutely nothing about there organization except they have a nice magazine with pretty pictures that show hunters with expensive hunts and expensive rifles?Is it a rich mans/Bankers/sheiks club?I mean how many of us can shoot every animal in the world and go on safari for endless days?Hunting with a new H&H double rifle for every day of the week?You would have to be from saudi arabia - kuwait -columbia-mexico-Texas-russia-England-oklahoma-exxon-enron-Beverly hills with swimming pools and movie stars!to afford most of those hunts those guys go on for endless days afield,Or is it a wanna be club were everyone thats common folk ,Like me, that doesnt have blue blood,i.e.ditchdigger-pretends there one of the boys,but could never go on those hunts,i.e.-leapord-sable-kudo-hunt and how many days safari are we talking?Maybe you guys can shead some light on this subject since no ones ever posted these Questions before?Is there such a thing as a $250,000.00 hunt or more?How much money to take every animal at todays prices,sorta like the guy in the african bible did-mellon?I know i never did see anyone in sci Mag. hunting in old pickup trucks,wearing old jeans or old camo and old boots hunting with a 742 remington with a tasco scope,looking like they had been living outta a sleeping bag and tent for weeks.You know like real alaska sheep hunters do.or colorodo elk hunters?Real hunts-none of that riding around in a jeep stuff and eating and sleeping in nice motel huts........Not being bale to bath for days as the only water you have is for drinking?

BBH, I believe everyone who shoots, and hunts, should be a member of SCI, NRA, and every conservation group in the world he can afford to belong to! Groups like SCI, and NRA, are just the two that do the most to insure your right to own a firearm, and to have legal hunting to use them! If it weren't for SCI every animal in the world today would be on the endangered list, and hunting would be closed everywhere! SCI fights the PeTAheads, and the ARsonists who would have all hunting outlawed if they had their way. The CITES convention are a hot bed of AR and PeTA people tryiing to get laws passed to put hunters, and guns in the history books, and museums. SCI, and NRA stands in their way, and even hunters, and shooters are known to bad mouth both organzations, because of the negative comments on TV, about the NUTS who own guns, or hunt! That is no accident, those statements are put on TV by people who are members of PeTA, ALF, and Anti gun people, and the liberal media!

As far as the hunts in the SCI magazine being out of reach to the masses, that is not true, I'm a poor ranch kid from Texas, who didn't have electricity, or indoor plumbing till 1949, and that was because we move to town! I always have to smile when I here a guy talking about haveing to be rich to hunt Africa, while standing beside a $40,000 4X4, with a $20,000 bass boat hooked on behind it! I hunted Africa, and managed to own a few double rifles, and I sure as hell ain't rich! I simply drive a car a minimum of ten years, and use the money that would have been spent on them for hunting, and guns! IMO, there are those who watch things happen to others, and there are those who make things happen for themselves! I'd prefere to be the make it happen type!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I just joined SCI this last January so I can't speak from any experience. Since I am in France I won't be attending any local chapter events either. I joined to keep informed more than anything else and while my income isn't in the upper stratospheres it would seem that a lot of SCI's money goes to sponsor events and activities that are justified and helpful to the sport. Use the Mark Twain yardstick, would you want to be a member of a club that has someone like you in it?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
In general I think SCI serves a very useful function from which I benefit, but I have too complaints about SCI:

1. SCI gives the appearance of being far more money oriented than service oriented.

2. SCI continues to auction illegal hunts (see, e.g., Out of Africa safaris donating Zimbabwe hunts to SCI, even though OoA is banned from hunting in Zim). I suspect that the guys who control SCI feel that the money is more important than an ethical principle.

I seem to remember Ganyana mentioning that some areas in Zimbabwe have been bought by OoA in the auctions!!??

Is that correct or is my memory playing tricks on me?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67389 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SCI is one of the best organizations out there protecting hunters rights. There are some very affluent people in the organization. Last I knew being successful wasnt a crime. That dosnt mean that the organization is a millionaires club. The majority of the members are hard working people just like us. Yes you can buy a hunt at more than most of us make in a couple years. If someone can do that more power to them. I work hard for every hunt I take. The rule at our house is my wife gets my entire regular paycheck. Any overtime, bonuses, vacation money etc is mine to do with as I please. I can tell you I work a lot of overtime to make these hunts happen. I support SCI fully. So what if I am not part of the millionaire's club, most of us arent. This organization does a lot to support the rights of hunters everywhere. I have met a lot of great people through working with SCI. Does the organization have problems like any other? Sure it does. That is where you have to learn to compromise and deal with people. It is like that in every organization I have ever seen. If you are not part some organization to protect hunting then you are allowing the antis to win by default. Try going to some regional chapter events rather than the big show in Reno and you will see most people are just like you.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Most members I know I would class as ordinary hunters. There are some folks with a lot of money to spend on international hunts, more power to them I say.

Our SCI Chapter is active in California in conservation, eduation and defense of the hunter projects. Our operations are not "big spender" type things.

SCI sent a biologist with "lead credentials" to California in February to testify on two emergency petitions by the usual suspects to the Fish & Game Commission to ban lead bullets and shot in California -- they alleged condors and raptors might ingest lead from shot animals. Our side prevailed, this time.

500grains,

I have made my comments known to the powers that be in SCI about OOA. Have you filed an ethics complaint with the Ethics Committee yet?

jim dodd

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I don't know Mac, I make my truck last 15 years Big Grin I think you are "right on".

I am a member of NRA, SCI, and DU. These organizations are our voice against a world that is increasingly anti gun and anti hunting.

Do I agree with these organizations on 100% of the issues and their policies? Of course not. SCI's fund-raisers are often out of reach. NRA needs to soften their delivery (not content). DU puts $$ into private habitat I will never be able to hunt.

Deal with it! thumb

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy! do you have issues or what? SCI was supposed to represent hunters inrtests and the desire to conserve a hunting heritage that had been lost in the urbanization of man. It was supposed to bring hunters together in common cause of wildelife development with an eye to conservation and sustainable hunting opportunities around the world. There were efforts to conserve some of the more rare specis of animals and also make hunters not conservation proponents as stewards of animal welfare.

SCI is different today. It is keyed to the rich and shameless and they get away with it by promoting themselves as the voice of International Hunting.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:

Its just hard for me to understand africa anyway as it seems like a piss poor crimeruncountry full of backward sorry ass/blackhawkdown/Taliban/edie amin-loving pe0ple/cannibals/witchdocter/voodoo and if it wasnt for animals to hunt and safari the world would never even go over there except to rape rob or plunder,I mean isnt that were they eat people still and sell thehuman flesh on open market like they do beef here in kroger?

OMG. Please, PLEASE don't ever go to Africa. I can just see you there with your arkansas razorbacks hat on, yelling at the locals so they will "understand" you, and telling everybody with 2 (or 4) legs how great the U.S. is. You, sir, epitomize the "Ugly American". It's people like you who make the rest of us look bad when we're abroad.

BTW you fucking fool, "Africa" is not a country, and the Taliban were located in Afghanistan, a mere 2500 miles away from any area where people hunt. "Witchdocter" is "Witchdoctor". And the people who live there are not "sorryasses". There a lot of great human beings there, and I respect a lot of the people I met more than a lot of Americans I live with.

Oh, this is hopeless. I think this guy is a troll anyway, but I wanted to respond because there ARE people like him in my country (usa), with the same arguments.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Blackbearhunter, Talk about preconcieved notions! Dang man, you need to get out more, and quit listening to the Dan Rathers of the world on TV!

Every country you spoke about is a country that has no hunting to speak of, and are war ridden, and all are in the north, or West of Africa, while all the hunting is in the East, and South of the continant! There are almost fifty countries in Africa, and each has it's own government. Seeing Blackhawk down, and thinking that is Africa, is like seeing the Watts riots, and thinking Wycross, Georga is in the same fight, and they are 2500 miles apart, and in different states. The happenings in African are not in different states, but different countries, thousands of miles apart!

Like any place in the world, there are crooks in the government, any government, and the USA is not exempt! None of this has anything to do with the safari industry, and it is plain your understanding of what goes on on a safari, is limited at best!

BBH, I don't think there is any way to answer any of your questions, because it is evident you have your mind made up! The comments made in both your postes, sound like a script right out of the PeTA news letter. I say if you don't want to belong to SCI, or any other orgazation, then don't, but I think you owe it to yourself to, at least, reject it for real reasons, not things you see on TV news shows! That is a Disney mentality! BAMBIE is just venison, not a talking deer!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! eek2

Mr. Blackbearhunter, you would probabally be more comfortable back over on the Big Game Hunting forum where folks seem to enjoy flamebaiting.. most on this forum enjoy a vigorous exchange of information, not preconceived ignorant rantings. There is way too much good usable information imparted on this forum for your comments to be anything other than intended to inflame.
Mike

"Too lazy to work and too nervous to steal"

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am a member of SCI and like what they're doing to continue the tradition of hunting. I was down in Reno for there annual convention as a recipent of there pathfinder award for disabled hunters. The prize is an expense paid safari in Africa. Naturally I really like that idea. It did seem like there were quite a few millionaire types, but also met some good boys like us. Jsut my two cents.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Belonging to SCI, NRA or other conservation/hunting organizations is a start in the right direction. You're either for hunting/gun rights or against them.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
SCI, like any other organization made up of people, has a percentage of arrogant jerks. Although I might not agree with all of it's current policies,the overall mission of the organization is a sound one. I am in the military and as such are by no means wealthy, but I do hunt Africa, albeit not as much as I'd like. You need to do a bit more research on just about every topic you asked about, before posting huge generalizations and stereotypical descriptions of people, places and things. And for the record, I wouldn't be caught DEAD with either a Tasco scope or a 742, nor run around like an unkempt bum, just because I'm hunting.
It's not that I'm a rich snob-like SOB, I just know better than to own or act like I just described above. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I belong to the NRA, SCI, USPA, and the AMA whom all work to protect my rights in the various hobbies I enjoy.

I think they all are somewhat money orientated because it takes hard cash to win in Washington, your local capitol and the courts.

But After deciding to get remarried this year I announced to my bride to be that our honeymoon would be in Africa. We had to put it off until 06 but we have booked 16 days in Namibia.

We paid for this by cutting out all the extra stuff we really did not need right now and by not replacing my old truck, we now bank 1k a month for trips abroad.

John

PS. We are already planning on returning in 08 for Buffalo.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
After reading those three posts I've got a headache. bewildered

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404 - H*ll you are just jelous... As to rich men and women purchasing hunts for the BIG BUCKS great for them. If you hunt Africa you will see NO meat goes to waste unless it is left on your plate at the end of a meal. Here in the states see how many deer are killed out of season have the antlers removed and the meat left to rot, and most of those type of poachers are not rich men in any sense of the word they are by and large uncoth in bred red necks no matter what part of the country they are from. Just want to let you know my position.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our local SCI Chapter has less than 80 members (since some are just getting around to paying dues, I won't know for sure for awhile yet). A very few might be considered "rich." Most of us worked hard for what we have, and spend it on the things we think are important to spend it on. We range in age from young (a very relative term) to old (also quite subjective) with a fair number somewhere in between.

Our recent fundraiser auction/banquet brought in over $20,000. Almost all of this will be doled out to various charities and hunting related organizations. We retain a little to run our chapter. If we send a member to the SCI Reno Convention, he pays his own way.

I am one of the lucky ones. I have a good wife who lets me go on hunting trips and doesn't put me on a guilt trip when I get back. She even goes along sometimes. I bought a hunt in New Zealand at the recent convention, and will take her along on that one. I buy hunts occasionally at the SCI and other conventions because I support the organization. Those who condemn SCI or the NRA must be looking for a perfect organization. None that I know of that is as Jorge said, composed of people, is perfect. Like my friends, I like to take them as they are, emphasizing the good that they do and accepting their shortcomings as part of the package.
If you hunt, I encourage you to joint SCI and get involved in your local chapter. You might just learn something. You sure won't be wasting your time.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a life member of SCI and NRA . I am a wrench turner by trade. I have been to Africa ,
Canada , all over the west. My pay check pays for bills. my bonus helps with hunting. I also hussle what I can to make a buck. The lucky thing in the world that I have in hunting is my best friend is a booking agent.I think SCI is a
good organization, but they need to show the little guy, the average guy more. Show and premote the average Joe hunter and not DOCTOR
so and so. I think the overal image would be better. Just my two cents.

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owe a lot to hunting and "rich" hunters. I saw a few on my first trip to Africa, and it caused me to start my own business, which gives me the ability to do a lot more than I could before. I wouldn't say "ever thought I would" because I knew someday I wanted to be in a position to hunt whatever I wanted.

I did my first Africa hunt by driving my old Bronco longer than I had a right to.

Money can let you go on some pretty good hunts, but it doesn't make you a better hunter. No sir, the guys who can nail a big buck or big bull elk every year without the help of a guide are better hunters than someone who simply buys a lot of hunts.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:

500grains,

I have made my comments known to the powers that be in SCI about OOA. Have you filed an ethics complaint with the Ethics Committee yet?

jim dodd

I am afraid that I have only second hand information, although it is reliable and accurate information. Can you help me gather documentation? If so, I will be very pleased to file an ethics complaint, as well as a criminal complaint. Thanks.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just joined SCI a few months ago. I had not joined in the past due to the fact that I did not like the attitude of most of the SCI memebers I knew, including board memebers at the national level. I have run into them in other countries while huinting and even in the field most of them seem to be more into comparing incomes than hunting. With me it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with attitude. I am just relating my personal experience. I get by on what I make and I don't look down my nose on those that make less than I do.

And the second thing I hate about SCI is the way they have it set up where a decent represnetative animal will make th e"record book" and their endorsement of hutning behind wire. AGain, with me, I don't care for books or wire.

But in the end, I see it as the NRA for hutners, so I live with it. I have no desire to go to meetings, join local chapters, or have my name in any SCI book. But I am very concerned with keeping hunting rights from eroding. What did it for me was the recent Argali decision by the courts to continue to allow importation of trophies. I beleive that it may have gone the other way were it not for the work of SCI.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote