New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition to Africa with Minor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm heading over this summer with my son. Just heard he can not take ammo so we will be limited to 11lbs for the two of us.

Planning on taking a 30-06 and a .260, any suggestions on how best to manage?

Was going to buy a pelican box - wondering if I can get 5-6 boxes of ammo in a pelican box and be under weight restrictions?

Thanks

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try putting them on the edge and not flat and you should be able to get a number of boxes in there.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
The 2 rifles and case will be in your name and the ammo will need to be in your checked luggage.

You should be able to take 3 boxes for each rifle in your checked bag.

As info, I take a pistol case that locks for my ammo and it will carry 6 boxes of ammo.

quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
I'm heading over this summer with my son. Just heard he can not take ammo so we will be limited to 11lbs for the two of us.

Planning on taking a 30-06 and a .260, any suggestions on how best to manage?

Was going to buy a pelican box - wondering if I can get 5-6 boxes of ammo in a pelican box and be under weight restrictions?

Thanks

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding was that ammo needed to be in a separate locked container not weighing more than 11lbs when going into Africa.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
11 pounds is the weight restriction.

It should be packed in a separate locked container inside your checked luggage, but capable of being separated from your luggage.

SAA, at least, has a bad habit of forcing you to remove your ammo box from your duffel and will check it separate from your other luggage, so if you're on SAA for any part of your travel - especially if you're going to overnight in Joburg and get a connection - you need to be prepared for this. If you use Gracy and have Bruce Mduli meet you he'll make sure the ticket agent doesn't force you to separate your ammo box from your luggage.

The point is, be prepared to have your ammo travel on its own in a locked box with its own tags.

As far as volume of ammo goes - I've never come close to shooting all the ammo I've taken over. Depending on where/what you're hunting, you shouldn't have any trouble taking sufficient volume for two hunters - I've hunted in Africa a lot with my minor sons (and will do so again this season) and we've always been able to take more than enough ammo within the weight restriction. For me that's usually about 100 rounds total, divided between my rifles based on how much I plan to shoot each one.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Could someone please post photos of what you mean by a "locked container".

I am confused. I thought that the old rules were that ammo should be in original packaging but now the airlines allow ammo boxes. Some of my MDM (?) ammo boxes have a tab with a hole which I can put a lock on. Do I just put a TSA lock on it and keep it in my checked suitcase or do I need to pack my ammo into a separate piece of luggage?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am confused. I thought that the old rules were that ammo should be in original packaging but now the airlines allow ammo boxes. Some of my MDM (?) ammo boxes have a tab with a hole which I can put a lock on. Do I just put a TSA lock on it and keep it in my checked suitcase or do I need to pack my ammo into a separate piece of luggage?

It is not a question of airlines "allowing" but rather "demanding" that ammunition be transported in approved boxes that meet the airlines' standards for the carriage of dangerous goods.

Try contacting the airline directly for full details and avoid embarrassment at the time of departure.

P.S. The TOTAL weight of the box should not exceed 5Kgs. and should not be stuffed into another piece of luggage.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Just for the sake of clarity:

Transport of dangerous goods is regulated by a variety of national & international laws and also by individual airline rules but the original and governing standards are all from the Air Navigation Order, Carriage of Dangerous Goods Act which was originally established just after WWII and all countries have adopted the same standards etc.

Regarding ammo it says 5 kg of ammo per passenger and it must either be in the manufacturers original packaging OR other container that keeps every round separated from every other round and consequently, MTM style ammo boxes are and always have been acceptable.

It also says ammo allowances may not be combined into one piece of baggage etc.

Going slightly off topic, it also strictly prohibits ALL black powder, black powder substitutes and detonators that are classified by the UN as any kind of explosive and also loose smokeless powder as in pots etc.

You also need to remember that even if something is allowed by some of the various laws and regulations etc, if it's prohibited by even one of the other laws and regs etc, then it's prohibited.

Regarding the locked metal box thing: This is a rule required by many airlines and NOT a law but it must be said it's a bloody stupid rule because by placing such items in a metal container, it's actually making it considerably more hazardous!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi

I've used a metal lockable cash box with some foam in there twice with no dramas. Ammo loose in there with a small flannel or the like on top to keep them secure.

The box and 60 rounds of .416 Rigby weigh about 4.5kg. On SAA no probs.

Cheap and effective.

Most I've used is 11 rounds on a trip. 5kg of 30-06 is A LOT of ammo. You will have heaps.

Cheers

Posts: 82 | Location: Australia | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Let's try to remember that the laws & regulations etc aren't there to make life difficult for us, they're there to keep everyone on board & those on the ground safe & secure & loose ammo for example is always going to be less safe than in a container that keeps every round separated from every other round.

Something else that should be remembered is that a few years ago the EUSSR introduced a law prohibiting the transport of ALL sporting ammo on any flight into or out of the EU. A few weeks later, they bought in a temporary waiver BUT did not withdraw the original law therefore the waiver can be withdrawn & the ban reintroduced any time they want to & I rather suspect it's simply a matter of time before they do that.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Airlines can make additional rules at their own discretion, there is not one minimum "rule" for travel to Africa. Deal directly with the airlines involved and get their answers in writing or directions to their web site with written instructions you can print and take with you.

Using a travel agent with experience in this area can also help.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
5kg or 11lbs is the maximum weight for the ammo, it does not include the locked box it is in. If you have an ammo case that, loaded with ammo, is over the 11lbs and the agent is showing concern, have the agent weigh the ammo, but not the box. Bring a copy of the TSA and the airline's own rules with you to prove that it is ammo weight that is regulated, not ammo plus lockable container.

For a lightweight lockable box I use a plastic tool box often found in marine stores that has provisions for a small padlock. It meets requirements and if the agent ends up being an ass and I cannot get the airline to abide by regulations, including its own, the case does not weigh so much that it eats into ammo weight too much.

The locked ammo box can go into your checked baggage as well.

FWIW, there are reports of agents being a pita wrt any pieces or parts of a gun in carryon bags, like spare scopes or rifle bolts, though there are no regulations preventing you from carrying them in you carryon. To avoid trouble, just keep gun stuff in the gun case.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy 30/06 locally should not be a problem but 260 you will be out of luck. Best is to speak to your PH / Outfitter he can arrange for enough 30/06 ammo.

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of the lockable box I use. I found it at West Marine, and you can see the provision for a small padlock to the right of the latch as you look at it.

I have had ammo quantity issues while on safari, but long DG safaris with multiple DG quota and shooting bait. The large DG cartridges are heavy, so 11lbs doesn't add up to that much compared to a 30-06 or 260.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Okay so just to clarify, I can travel to Africa with my 15 year old son, I pay for a full fare ticket for him that is no different than mine, but his baggage is restricted? Meaning he can't take ammunition in his checked bag? I don't get it.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Okay so just to clarify, I can travel to Africa with my 15 year old son, I pay for a full fare ticket for him that is no different than mine, but his baggage is restricted? Meaning he can't take ammunition in his checked bag? I don't get it.

I'm going from memory but AFAICR, there's nothing in the Air Navigation Order, Carriage of Dangerous Goods Act that says he can't take 5 kg in his own case but it could be that individual airlines have their own rule on it or possibly it might be covered in other legislation (possibly) from your country of departure.

Probably the best thing you can do is look on the website of the airline you're travelling on & see what it says there.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
5kg or 11lbs is the maximum weight for the ammo, it does not include the locked box it is in. If you have an ammo case that, loaded with ammo, is over the 11lbs and the agent is showing concern, have the agent weigh the ammo, but not the box. Bring a copy of the TSA and the airline's own rules with you to prove that it is ammo weight that is regulated, not ammo plus lockable container.

JPK

On Air France it includes the weight of the ammo plus container, and they are quite clear about it. Check with your airline.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
For popular calibers, why not ask your PH if he can have a box or two in camp upon your arrival. This should not be a problem. Or, perhaps have a prior hunter leave some of his in camp and you can send him a check.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
99% sure you can get 100 rounds of each caliber in one pelican case and be under the weight limit.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The weight limit should allow you plenty of ammo for both calibers. My "cover all possible bases" plan is: ammo in either factory boxes or plastic boxes to which I have sealed a "factory label" (see "Mbogo Ammmunition"); ammo boxes packed in small pelican box with foam spacers; pelican box separately locked with TSA lock and with it's own luggage tags; put inside non-gun suitcase and lock. This has allowed me to comply with every possible ridiculous airline request over the years. There is no point in arguing with an airline employee who has the power to deny you or your luggage boarding.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put the ammo in a MTM Products Dry Survivor Box, lock it and go on. I sell them on my web site www.huntersheadquarters.net. Get the larger Orange one and don't worry. I have sold hundreds and use them myself to transport ammo on safari. They don't weight as much as Pelican in case you are fighting a weight issue. Both cases are good. I have also used the metal cash box with plastic change tray removed. It has a cheezy lock you could pick with a paper clip but it does the job.
A roll of blue painters tape is a wonderful thing to have handy when traveling.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much guys - was told my son had to be 21 to bring ammo into SA.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a good point and should be discussed here on AR--that of age limits for both hunting and rifle/ammo transportation. I can't recall this being here prior.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

This is a good point and should be discussed here on AR--that of age limits for both hunting and rifle/ammo transportation. I can't recall this being here prior.
Cal

I can understand ownership and importation of firearms and ammunition, but I really do not want to see any age limit placed on hunters.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

This is what I have now got. I am taking 30 rounds of 416 Rigby & 20 rounds of 9.3X62. The 2 ammo slips are the 9.3s. The plastic boxes take 20 each. Easy to just put them in my day pack or belt when starting the day.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter:

Yours is definitely not a box designed to carry ammo but more a petty cash or safety deposit box.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes I agree. I just wanted something that will meet the SAA regulations.

Does anyone feel that this will not meet regulations?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The obvious problem with using a converted cash box is it looks like what it is and if some sticky fingered bugger opens your case, he's very likely to think there's cash in it and swipe it........ and then you've saved a few bucks on a container at the possible cost of a hunt without ammo.

Do yourself a favour and buy the proper thing. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Good point Shakari.

Today I saw the water resistant (rubber gasket) 3 clip plastic box at the local gun shop with lock tabs. I'll get that when I go there next (38 km away!) Cost only $30.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys
As you are now required to check in ammo separately in SA , the best case is either the pelican 1200 or 1300. They take a hammering with the baggage handlers .
The cash box is definitely a no no.
Also , they stipulate ammo should be in its original packaging, not loose or in belts or slips.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Guys
As you are now required to check in ammo separately in SA , the best case is either the pelican 1200 or 1300. They take a hammering with the baggage handlers .
Also , they stipulate ammo should be in its original packaging, not loose or in belts or slips.

Cheers

Nick

Manufacturers packaging OR other container that keeps every round separated from every other round. MTM style boxes are perfectly acceptable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Guys

Cheers

Nick

Manufacturers packaging OR other container that keeps every round separated from every other round. MTM style boxes are perfectly acceptable.

I have heard both versions from the same airline; however, I have never had my handloads questioned. they were packed in factory-type styrofoam and cardboard boxes, with handwritten information on them. last time, I had sealed them with stickers (target dots were handy) and they had been opened presumably for inspection (more likely curiosity).

I learned from delta (I think it was delta) that there are rules which can be publicly accessed, and there are rules which the airline does not make available to the public. my point being, be prepared to have an agent come up with a policy of which you were not aware, or do not believe applies. such as "must be in manufacturers boxes."

I always leave extra arguing time before a flight when flying with guns or ammo. I missed a flight once over a "how-many-guns-allowed-in-a-locking-gun-case" argument.

my experiences are strictly domestic, but I presume travelling with ammo internationally would only be more complicated, not less.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Here is what I have now bought. Should arrive in the courier in a few days.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Brows...ng.aspx?id=749294121

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As of last October, KLM took the position that the 5KG weight limit applied to ammunition only not the container. As someone pointed out, that apparently is different than Air France. Check your airline.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Pelican case for the ammo, be sure and add a couple extra locks inside it. For whatever reason, mine got cut off once, was glad to have a refill ready to go. Leave them unlocked, keep the keys with you.

Everytime I fly Lufthansa, they ask how much the ammo wieghs, at least in Houston. Only once did they get the scale out, and it was only for the ammo, not case and locks.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Pelican case is not cheap but they are basically indestructible. We bought 2 of the smallest ones (I don't know the model #)about 25 years ago and they work just as well now as they did when new. They easily hold 4 ammo boxes with room for a bunch of other small items. The case with 2 boxes of 375 and 2 boxes of 300 WM weighs in right at 10.5#

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Answering Nakihunter's request
quote:
Could someone please post photos of what you mean by a "locked container".

It's been so long since I've posted pics on AR that I've forgotten how but on 01 April 2008 on Hunting/Africa Travel/Packing ammo thru South Africa, I posted 4 pics of how I took ammo through SA in my 11-year son's luggage. I wish I knew how to repost it here but I don't. I might help answer your question.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks you. Found it.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=248105348#248105348

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

Done. Seems to be a copy of the Pelican case.