New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rem. Mag. sight-in???
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
I need some advice: I have my 416 Rem. Mag. zeroed at 100 yds., but I'm wondering if this is optimum. I'm using my rifle in Tanzania for buffalo, etc., this season, and my load is 370 gr. North Forks @ 2460 fps. I'm taking my 300 Win. Mag. for plainsgame, so I don't need an all-purpose sight-in for the 416.

Thanks!!

AD

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
That's what I did with what sounds like the same load, zero at 100, and just knew where I would hit at 50 and 200. Didn't much matter, could just hold on vitals, and 200 is the longest I'm personally comfortable with the 5x scope. Conditions may vary, but in my limited experience the shot distances got longer as the season progressed due to visibility and lack of cover. If QR mounts, then you are covered for any follow-up and/or under 50 if comfortable w/the irons. JMHO.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Allen: my 416s a Rigby as you know, but I sighted mine to hit 1" high at 100 with 400gr AFrames loaded to 2400 fps. It seemed to work perfectly on that 125yd shot on the buff. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Allen, with that big bullet and known trajectory you should not have a problem...with anything...I believe you would be able to just hold on the body of animals out to 250 or 300yds. and drop the bullet on them...IMO they would be sledgehammer when it would hit them..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen ---- I took the same rifle and load, even the very same bullet and speed. I had my zero at 100 yards and it served me well on the Buffalo. I took a .358 STA with North Forks for plains game. IMO you will shoot instinctively when the time comes, forgetting all ballistics for the moment. thumb wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I'm just taking the one gun, my .416 Remington Magnum, with 81.0 grains of RL-15 and 370-grain North Forks. I haven't chronographed it yet, but I'm sure this load is close to yours, Allen.

I was figuring on zeroing at 200, which ought to put me at -- or just under -- three inches high at 100. I'm thinking this ought to carry me through for everything I'll be shooting, but I'm wide open for comments.

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Allen: my 416s a Rigby as you know, but I sighted mine to hit 1" high at 100 with 400gr AFrames loaded to 2400 fps. It seemed to work perfectly on that 125yd shot on the buff. jorge

Allen: I sight my .416 in exactly this way as well (same exact load too). Will try it on three more buff in two months.

Jorge: How was the hunt? How big was the buff? Good boss? Any problems?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Allen, I took only my .404 to Moz. last fall & was sighted on @ 100, that put me about 1" high @ 50 & 4" low @ 200. My 380grNF are going just over 2200fps. The longest shot I took was about 225yds, but I missed my Waterbuck w/ that one, got him later @ about 110yds.
Russ, I think 3" is too high if you are after buff. in cover, JMO, but for pure plainsgame, that's where I would be. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,
I have my 416's set 1" high at 100 (meters - my home range is set up for silouhette).
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:

Russ, I think 3" is too high if you are after buff. in cover, JMO, but for pure plainsgame, that's where I would be. thumb

Well, my figuring is that anything closer will hit less than three inches high and should still be a killing shot. Still, I need to chronograph my load, crunch some numbers, and see how I'm hitting at 200 before I set a final zero.

Thanks, Fred.

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I agree with your initial decision to zero your .416 DGR dead-on at 100 yds. I do the same with my DGRs since bullet rise above line of sight out to 100 yds. is negligible for all practical purposes.

And you will have your .300 (with presumably a 200 yd. zero) for PG hunting.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
AZ: Absolutely no problems over there. I've posted a lessons learned over on the Hunt Reports here that you can read and on the African Forum there's a pic of the buff. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even measure him! He has good hooks and a great boss. Check him out! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
IMHO - Buffalo sighting is all about from zero to 100 yards. Assuming your scope is 1.5" above the bore line, the highest point of impact @ 100 yards that one is comfortable with will, one day, hedge your bets in clearing that obstacle just under one's crosshairs at some intermediate range. I believe your 1" high @ 100 setting is a good one, in this regard and will in no way hinder the longer shot. This is an all too rarely mentioned benefit of irons on a DG rifle, too, I might add. As a hunter of the eastern woodlands for most of my life, I can tell you I've had many a bullet just nick an object the crosshairs were apparently clear of, under 40 yards or so and missed a buffalo at 60 yards, just a few years back. In other words, the sooner a DG projectile arrives at, or slightly above line of sight, the better. It takes very little to deflect a bullet, however large.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never sight in a DGR 3" high at 100 that is for plainsgame and 270s etc...If you get a charge the distance is fast closing and 3" becomes a 6 or 7" high shot from your point of aim and I assure you that you do not have time to make those adjustments...I sight in 1" high at 100 and both my guns are also 1" high at 50 yds....I just want to see that bulls eye over my sights when I pull the trigger...A Buff is a big target and lots of room for drop if the shot is a long way off...Hold on the hair on the top of his back and spine him or he gets a chest shot.

100 yard sight in is also a very good way to go..Most Africans use that method, they like the bead to cover the eye of the beast....I like to see that eye and if he winks at me, I unload and walk back to the bakkie, he's bluffing, trust me on this one... wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to aim an inch and a half high when he's close enough to pee on your new Russells.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if I have done the right thing but with my .416 a Rigby I have it 2" high at 100 yards and it is zero at 200 yards. Seems to be dead on at 25 yards to.

The load is a 410 gr woodleigh Round Nose at around 2450 fps.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AD,
Are you going to take a "solid" load?

In my 416 my soft load shoots 1" higher than my solid load at 100 yards (both chronograph at ~2450fps). I zero the solid at 100 yards (puts the soft 1" high).

I hunted last year in Tanzania with this combination. The longest shot I took on a buffalo was 180 yards (frontal, he was facing me). I dropped that "bad boy" on his nose. Everyone was high-fiving behind me and then he got up and ran into the crap (before I could shoot again). It took four more solids at ~25 yards to convince him to stay down. My heart starts beating fast just thinking back about it.

One mistake I made was in taking too many solids. I would take one box of solids and the rest softs.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
I am not sure if I have done the right thing but with my .416 a Rigby I have it 2" high at 100 yards and it is zero at 200 yards. Seems to be dead on at 25 yards too.

My point, exactly.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my .416 back from the gunsmith. He glass bedded it and cut the barrel back to 22 inches. Wow, you wouldn't think 2 inches would make that much difference, but it does. Much handier IMO.

I wouldn't mind seeing a discsussion on second and third shots in the mag...soft or solid. I have always used a solid as no 2 and 3.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote