THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What Inspired You to Journey to Africa and Hunt the Dark Continent?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Inspired You to Journey to Africa and Hunt the Dark Continent?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:
When I finally made my way to Africa I was somewhat underwhelmed. Wide open spaces were carved into concessions, hunting had become nothing more than a business no different than the locals in Harare or Lusaka who approach your car at an intersection (with a broken stop light that never worked to begin with) to sell you counterfeit sunglasses or a scrawny chicken, and professional hunters who are mostly disengenous and nearly always self-serving salesmen looking for their next booking. Toss in the slimy third party booking agents and now you have a legitimate modern industry that's less honest than a good whorehouse but slightly more so than the average used car lot.

Yet we put these PHs on a pedestal and worship them as some sort of royalty when in reality what they do is no different than the guide in Wyoming who guides you to an elk or the guy in Canada who steers you towards a moose. We as hunters don't help matters when when effect an upper-class English posture and ape the old English landed gentry bantering about amongst ourselves terms like "cheers", "proper", "sort it out","make a plan" and all the other ridiculous affectations that are ubiqituous both here on AR and elsewhere. To be quite frank, Americans come off as looking damned foolish when they attempt such an absurd charade. You're not English landed aristocrats so stop trying to appear as though you are, it's just stupid and you look like fools when you use such jargon. I understand though that it is all a part of the sales pitch and such behavior is encouraged because it feeds the fantasy that sells hunts.

If you are that disillusioned with African hunting and think that most on here are mindless dolts or wannabes, why the hell do you take the time to hang out here?

+1 AND AMEN. this was not a question it was a tirade from someone with an ax to grind. and your question is spot on Russell!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I read JA Hunter in 1969 when I was in 9th grade - (after reading Jim Corbet).

A couple of years later I read the great book by Maj Charles Askins Jr - a fantastic book with lots of photos of hunting in Indo China and Africa.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben Bernanke, Henry Paulson, GWB, Obama, Geithner and the Politburo of the Chinese communist party who all dumped money after Lehman/2008 and stopped the wheels from falling off the global financial system. Let me make money in 2009 and I decided to spend some of it on a trip to Zim.

I wish I had not gone to DSC in Dallas - was killing time on a layover to Amarillo to hunt ducks. Bought a Cape Buffalo hunt for surviving 2008 and making money in 2009.

I should have not gone to DSC and instead driven to Angelos in Fort Worth for BBQ. This damn hunting thing is getting to be an expensive hobby.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid growing up in NE in the 50's, I would go over to my friends house every Sat. morning and watch the Tarzan series, sponsored by 'Bunny Bread' ("That's what I said, Bunny Bread"...their slogan).

I too remember Marlin Perkins show sponsored by Mutual of Omaha. I was so impressed that we "Nebraskans"(Omaha!) could have anything to do with such cool animal shows.

Wild World of Sports would occasionally have some hunting shows.

We only hunted rabbits, squirrels, pheasants and quail back then. Big game was not even on the radar.

After I shot my first deer, everything changed. Suddenly, high power rifles were of interest to me.

I read Capstick on the recommendation of my friend who let me shoot that first deer on his property. I started hunting deer, antelope and elk in Colorado. I then began reading all of the authors already mentioned on this thread.

One day, the same friend I mentioned above, asked if I wanted to go to Africa with him for both of ours first safari.

Life has not been the same since, and like many of you, life exists between safaris!

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Joe Frankum is who motivated me to go to Africa.

He was a close friend of my Dad and I. He was the first person we knew personally that went to Africa hunting. In our circle of rabbit and deer hunters it gave him near celebrity status.

He hit the ground dead of a heart attack while in Zambia with a 'buff stalk in progress. He was 45 years old.

The memory of my friend and the frailty/uncertainty of life is what got me to Africa the first time. The tremendous experience of that first time in Africa is what got me back several more times.

Had it not been for Joe I probably would have only read about Africa.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut:

When I finally made my way to Africa I was somewhat underwhelmed. Wide open spaces were carved into concessions, hunting had become nothing more than a business no different than the locals in Harare or Lusaka who approach your car at an intersection (with a broken stop light that never worked to begin with) to sell you counterfeit sunglasses or a scrawny chicken, and professional hunters who are mostly disengenous and nearly always self-serving salesmen looking for their next booking. Toss in the slimy third party booking agents and now you have a legitimate modern industry that's less honest than a good whorehouse but slightly more so than the average used car lot.

[

Not sure how many times you have been to Africa. But sounds like you were pretty disappointed!

1)Hunting areas in most African countries have been cut up into blocks for many, many years. The Africa of TR is long gone....(I guess we were all born too late). The Hollywood movies "Last Safari" & "Hatari" were made in the 1960s. Most of Africa was already "Carved into Concessions" at that time. It was not the old Africa, and most filming was done in National Parks.
2)Tourist safari hunting is a business. Period. True, we love hunting, but's also our income & livelihood. To compare PHs & Outfitters to people "selling chickens or sunglass in a road" is frankly insulting.
3) If you found your PH was "Disengenous, Self-serving Salemen"....maybe you just need to find a better PH? BTW: What business are you in??
4)If you find booking agents "Slimy", well there are some "Slimy" ones and some real honest ones (just like every other business). A solution for you: go to SCI convention, book direct with a PH/Outfitter you like & trust.
5) To compare the entire Safari Hunting Industry to "Whore Houses" and "Used Car lots" is just plain insulting. Everyone is entitled to a opinion....even a dumb one!
6) Most all the clients who have hunted with me over many years, I don't think any worshiped me (I certainly hope not), nor ever tried to compare me to Mr Granger. They all apparently came to experience the sights, smells & sounds that is Africa: the people, the wild beauty, animals, trees, birds, the danger & excitement, and some just to collect some wonderful trophies!
Other than your first paragraph...the rest of the rant had nothing to do with your title: WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO JOURNEY TO AFRICA..."

No, not disappointed at all, nothing but great adventures and even better memories and I hope to return many times, God willing. I just find some of the marketing techniques to be a bit distasteful and some of the characters involved to be a little on the shady side. My rant about Americans aping the English gentry in their speech is only because I find it to be extremely silly though I'm sure it provides ample fodder for humor when the PHs gather for drinks in the off season.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Lots of talk lately about PHs talking about a client behind the client's back or having a laugh at the client's expense. I am wondering just who in the hell cares? Seems like there must be some serious insecurity issues at work with some. Really who cares? I know that some of my experiences on safari must have provided the fodder for potential stories and laughs. Am I supposed to resent that? Time to grow up a little.

Mike

Posts: 21228 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Lots of talk lately about PHs talking about a client behind the client's back or having a laugh at the client's expense. I am wondering just who in the hell cares? Seems like there must be some serious insecurity issues at work with some. Really who cares? I thought that was a high school phenomena.

No Mike, it would be high school to not wake up if hit between the eye's with a club.

There are at least 8 Ford dealerships in Phoenix. I would not continue to buy a new F250 every year from a guy that makes stupid and uncalled for remarks when I'm not present. I still want a new F250, I will just go down the street and buy one from the next guy.

There has got to be 1,000 or more people to hunt with on the African continent. I hunt every year, sometimes twice with someone new, usually in a new land.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3398 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You should spend more time enjoying your hunts and less time worrying about whether someone is talking about you. Also not sure how hunting multiple countries with multiple PHs solves your problem. In fact sounds to me like it just increases the potential universe of folks that can talk about you and their incentive to do so . . . if someone was concerned about such a thing in the first place.

Mike

Posts: 21228 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You should spend more time enjoying your hunts and less time worrying about whether someone is talking about you. Also not sure how hunting multiple countries with multiple PHs solves your problem. In fact sounds to me like it just increases the potential universe of folks that can talk about you and their incentive to do so . . . if someone was concerned about such a thing in the first place.

I gotta agree. I said before, if a PH can get a laugh from the next client based on my antics, have at it. I often ask guides/PHs about the best and worst clients they have had.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading JA Hunter, hearing my father dream about it out loud,and most of all visiting a family frend/taxidermist who hunted africa every year for 29 years until his death. Finally at 50 made my first trip with the family friend and have been hooked since.

Posts: 85 | Location: The oasis of Nevada | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike, I wrote and re-wrote a response. But, your a lawyer, I know better.

You've won this debate.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3398 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I go hunting to enjoy myself.

It is my break, and I want to make the best of it, and get my money's worth of enjoyment and memories.

If at any given time I felt I was being short changed, I do not hesitate of bringing that up and getting it sorted out.

I don't go to prove anything, like I know some do.

They go as far as they never listen to their PHs, because they think they know better.

They then come face to face with reality, and find out that all their imagines expertise is nothing of the sort.

So they find a scapegoat to put the blame on.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In response to the original topic (not discussion/rant) I was initially enthralled with the idea when my dad gave me some sort of hunting year book that had a picture of a cape buff with really great drops back when I was 7 or 8. I spent months trying to find the story about it in there (with a 3rd grade reading level it took some doing..) this was back in the mid 70's.

My family were inveterate bird hunters, although dad and my grandfather both had hunted deer occasionally, birds, especially ducks, in particular diving ducks, were our game. My first duck was a Redhead, which was probably as surprised at that outcome as I was...

My Godfather had hunted Kenya in the late 60's, and all I ever got out of him was that he didn't care for the big game hunting, but loved the bird shooting and he spent his days there shooting birds for the camp pot. He also told me to forget about it as hunting was closed by then.

I was inclined to think this would be a wondrous thing, but aside from the National Geographic specials and Mutual of Omaha's show, I thought it impossible. I did read some O'Connor, Capstick, and the like, but really didn't think "normal" folks would be able to do so.

I then started hunting deer a bit, as well as doing the bird thing, and got involved in practical pistol shooting. To do that, I needed to join a range, and met up with our own Butchloc who was club president at the time. He told some tall tales of his exploits and I began to think it might be possible to go hunt Buffalo.

I then began reading the typical african stuff, Ruark, Capstick's books, Boddington, and so forth.

Then Butch introduced me to Jumbo Moore. I pretty much agreed in principal to a 15 day buffalo hunt with Jumbo, but he never got back with me. Butch then introduced me to this website and Mark Young, who was then working for Adam Clements, and since then I have been hooked and spending pretty much all my disposable income on hunting.

I have met lots of great people in countries that didn't even exist when I was in grade school, made a lot of friends who have similar interests, and had a lot of laughs. All in all, Africa has been very good to me.

Butch, you cost me at least a Lamborghini by now...

Posts: 10635 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting thread!

I never grew up reading books on Africa, nor did I ever even dream of the possibility of going. I never knew anyone growing up that had ever been.

However, I remember going to a car dealership in a nearby town and looking at the taxidermy they had in their sales area. But, other than finding it interesting, that was about all I knew of Africa.

We grew up hunting mule deer and on occasion elk. That was it as far as big game.

When I was in my late 30's I started reading hunting reports about Africa and the stories started to grow on me!

I finally went when I was 40, and now at 43 just returned from taking my family on a 17 day safari.

I really enjoyed both trips. However, I am not sure if and when I will return.

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can`t say that any individual, book or whatever inspired me.I know that since a young age I had a desire for far off wild places and hunting.Africa is a special place for many reasons.For one thing the place is more alive than any other.There is also the thrill of up close dangerous encounters.The glamour also.The climate too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I realized, at about twelve years of age, through observing nature, and reading about hunting and hunters, and watching every nature program on TV, and visiting natural history museums, and zoos, too, and actually chasing and finally hunting everything I could whenever I could, that I was a natural born hunter.

From that time forward, pursuit of a life that would allow me to go on safari in Africa, and to hunt everywhere else, for all of the game to be chased, was always in my sights.

We make of the hunt what we will.

Those who understand what it's all about, and who are fully engaged in its every aspect, including conservation of the game through sustainable management, are able to make it the finest pursuit known to man.

Some do not understand the slightest thing about it, and will never grasp it, and seem even to fear it and what it entails, and theirs is the loss.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:

Yet we put these PHs on a pedestal and worship them as some sort of royalty when in reality what they do is no different than the guide in Wyoming who guides you to an elk or the guy in Canada who steers you towards a moose. We as hunters don't help matters when when effect an upper-class English posture and ape the old English landed gentry bantering about amongst ourselves terms like "cheers", "proper", "sort it out","make a plan" and all the other ridiculous affectations that are ubiqituous both here on AR and elsewhere. To be quite frank, Americans come off as looking damned foolish when they attempt such an absurd charade. You're not English landed aristocrats so stop trying to appear as though you are, it's just stupid and you look like fools when you use such jargon. I understand though that it is all a part of the sales pitch and such behavior is encouraged because it feeds the fantasy that sells hunts.

If you are that disillusioned with African hunting and think that most on here are mindless dolts or wannabes, why the hell do you take the time to hang out here?

And as a British PH (BA HONS) with impeccable public school upbringing I object to others verbalising my language in jest.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go to Africa to have a GOOD time. And have a laugh and do some hunting of animals I love such as kudu etc.

I hunt with people I like and whose company I find entertaining.

I have seen some PH's bung it on at times, it's all part of the fun.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started hunting with my Dad at 4 years old. Growing up in the late 60s and 70s (out in the country) in South Texas we usually had Tarzan, Wild Kingdom, and the American Sportsman on TV. Occasionally a good old African classic would be showing at the local Rialto theater. My dad subscribed to Outdoor Life and Petersons hunting magazines which I read faithfully. All these and more had me yearning to go to Africa.

Posts: 1793 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three Margaritas, no salt.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Three Margaritas, no salt

That's funny.
After our 1st safari we were at the DSC conv. & my wife had 2 margaritas on an empty stomach, then proceeded to talk me into booking 2 safaris!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

It is my break, and I want to make the best of it, and get my money's worth of enjoyment and memories.

If at any given time I felt I was being short changed, I do not hesitate of bringing that up and getting it sorted out.

They go as far as they never listen to their PHs, because they think they know better.

They then come face to face with reality, and find out that all their imagines expertise is nothing of the sort.

................................................................ tu2

Too many people worry about what others think in regard to the way they hunt! If it suits you pissers on the rest, you are the one paying the bill!
..................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see......

Tarzan, Hatari, Robert Ruark, Wilber Smith, Capstick....

The Hunting shows, Yep, Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom, I wanted to grow up and be Jim!

My Grandad always inspired me to dream and gave me a love of things outdoors. There is a bunch of "outdoors" in Africa!

I finally went to Africa in 2007, life changer for sure. Made good friends there. I may have just been lucky.

I think I'll keep going 'till I run out of money or croak.

I sure wish I could've taken Grandad.........

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

................................................................ tu2

Too many people worry about what others think in regard to the way they hunt! If it suits you pissers on the rest, you are the one paying the bill!
..................................................................... coffee

I disagree.I never got worried, angry or upset about anyone not finding the way I hunted proper in any way,not even when I shot a cow buff by accident.Others however do get upset when there hunting style is criticised and it makes me wonder why.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
For me it started with a lifelong love of animals and wildlife. My dad was not a hunter and did not care for the outdoors, but every night when he would put me to bed we would talk about a different animal. I would pick the animal and he would tell me everything he knew about it. At the time, it seemed his knowledge was encyclopedic.

We didn't live close to my grandparents, but growing up I knew my grandpa was a "hunter" (originally from PA, transplanted to AZ in the early 60s). For a long time I thought that was his job. I saw many pictures of him in hunting camps (all in the US and mostly deer camps). Whenver he would visit he would take me fishing and tell me about hunting. Sadly he passed before I started hunting, but he planted the seed.

Years later I got a black lab and thought it would be fun to try bird hunting. I bought a $250 870 and the dog and I learned together.

Then I bought my first Capstick book and it was all over for me. As soon as I had the means to do it, I went to Africa and keep going back. Last year I went twice - the first time my wife ever cocked the eyebrow at me.

SquirrelNut, in response to your original post, let me just say my experiences in Africa have been different than yours. Some hunts have been better than others, and they haven't all been the most spectacular ever, but I've never felt cheated and alwsys enjoyed my experiences there. Most of the people I know in the hunting industry are basically honest and hard-working. Trying to make it in an extremely competitive business where you're selling a very high priced product that only people with a lot of discretionary income can afford is difficult. That isn't an excuse for anyone who is less than straightforward with the client, but if you're going to play this game you need to have a sensitive BS detector to separate hard fact from sales pitch and know how to weigh all the variations along that spectrum.

Personally, I've never said "make a plan" or called a truck a "bakkie" or any of that stuff. I will confess that I might have suggested we "sort something out." And I'll occasionally say "cheers" when hoisting one, but I do that more here than I do over there. I don't behave like an aristocrat on my hunts and haven't ever seen anyone do that.

I've done a fair amount of hunting in the US too, and I disagree that - with some notable exceptions - the level of professionalism you receive from an African PH is no better than that of a guide in the US. Some US guides are more professional than others, no doubt. But I've never had an unprofessional PH - they've all been very impressive with not just their hunting ability but their client handling skills, their general knowledge, their understanding of why I'm there and what experience I'm looking to have. My PHs - every last one of them - have been teachers. My guides in the US? Not so much. Like I said, some have been great, every bit the equal of the African PHs I've had. But some have been pretty mediocre and some have out and out sucked.

Anyway, my inspiration came from my Dad, my grandpa, and Peter Capstick.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too was always fascinated as a child with African hunting. My grandfather had subscriptions to several outdoor magazines and I can remember reading stories of buffalo and leopard hunting. "Wild Kingdom" was my favorite show-- along with any National Geographic special, many of which were about African wildlife.
I grew up in a hunting family, but in Wisconsin in the '60's and'70's that meant deer, small game and some bird hunting. By the '80's we were hunting in Colorado and Wyoming as well, and that was about where my horizons were. I just assumed that hunting in Africa was way beyond my means.
Then I started working with a guy who was about 10 years older than me who managed to get some international hunting in almost every year, including a few trips to Africa. He's the one who convinced me to look at the proposition more closely. I did and have been able to make three trips in nine years, with another likely to occur in 2016.
I probably should be spending my money on something more practical and put off Africa for a time when I am much more financially secure, but you never know what might happen. That friend who convinced me to go hunting in Africa? He died ten years ago at age 57. Had a heart attack about three weeks before leaving for Zimbabwe his first buff hunt.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Hunting in Africa never crossed my mind. I was dreaming of a Yukon moose hunt...

Then one day a friend asked me if I was interested in joining him on a trip to Namibia. The moment the airplane doors opened in the Windhoek I saw The Light...that was 19 years and 5 trips ago!

Haven't done Yukon moose yet.

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Capstick planted the seed of desire to hunt Africa.

Boddington made me realize that I could actually afford to do it.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the seventh grade, our study hall was in the library and my desk was right by the "R'S and I pulled "African Game Trails" off the shelf and read it cover to cover. I never recovered. His style was a bit opaque but it got me into J.A, Hunter and Martin and Osa Johnson and Jim Corbett and the rest. Capstick came later. It turned PHC was exactly my age and lived in New York City at the same time I did. I would have loved to run into him in a bar on the Upper East Side some time.(My favorite quote about him was from Roy Vincent who said, "He didn't do all the stuff he said he did, but he sure sold a lot of safaris...") Going to Africa never seemed like something I could afford until 40 years later, I got the right wife. My younger brother said, "Let's go!" (He was a Capstick fan.) He enabled me psychologically and my wife said, "Sure." and the credit union said, "Why not?" and I headed off down the primrose path.

As to PHs being friends, I have no doubt that I have provided them a few laughs, but most often I came away from a hunt feeling that I had established a personal and long-lasting relationships with them. There were a couple who were real turds --one in Zim and one in the RSA-- but, by in large, I enjoyed their company and in the meantime had some wonderful adventures. Who cares what they thought of me.

Dick

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to say it was friend of mine from college who was from South Africa.

After we graduated from college she invited myself and a few friends over if we could make it (1992). Being just graduated with no real employment prospects at the time I decided to sell my one possession worth anything (a 1967 firebird convertible).

I bought a plane ticket and spent 4 weeks driving across southern africa with friends exploring, drinking and raising hell. My buddy and I enjoyed hunting deer when we were in college and my friends day got us on a two day hunt (all we had money for was hogs and impala). My buddy got a hog, missed an impala and I never pulled the trigger.

We stayed at a lodge on our own, cooked our own meals and brought our own drinks. When the sun went down we sat on the deck near a waterhole watching all the animals come down to drink. for a kid from NY it was mind blowing. I vowed to get back and do a proper hunt a 5 trips later I can't wait to get back again.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Capstick and my wife! It was her idea to do the African Honeymoon! I asked if it was a photo safari or if I could do some hunting. She said "I could!" Of course I eventually asked her if she would like to learn how to hunt. She said yes and took her first big game animal (Whitetail) the year prior to the trip. The following year the Honeymoon got a little more expensive with her Trophy list Big Grin

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I started hunting at the age of 10 with a BB gun for squirrels. When I turned 15 I took a hunters' education course and got my first hunting license in Massachusetts. Got my first deer at 16 and I'm now up to 82 deer. I've shot elk, bear, hogs, bobcats, antelope and tons of gamebirds, but had little interest in hunting Africa. When my wife got back from ber third business trip to Africa, she said .....I'm surprized you've never hunted in Africa. I told her I'd hunt plainsgame in Namibia if she'd go too. So in 2012, at the age of 65, I hunted 8 days with Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris and had the time of my life. When I was done hunting, my wife and I played tourist in Etosha, then Swakopmund, and Windhoek. Nine months later I went back with Sebra and had an even better hunt. Knee surgery this year ruled out a 2014 Africa hunt, but I'm booked for 2015 with Jan at Sebra. I'll keep going as long as I can physically handle it. I'm hooked!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother.
I did a little bird hunting but not big game hunting. He got into hunting in Africa, specifically Botswana, in a big way. He kept bugging me to go with him. Finally, in 1997 I gave in and went to get him off my back. I have returned 4 more times. Unfortunately David passed away before we could go on a second hunt together, but that first hunt with him is a treasured memory, as is my second hunt taken with my two sons.
I have a high level of respect for the skill level of the professional hunters that I have hunted with but I don't idolize them. I also recognize that we are conducting a business transaction, however I would not liken it to a used car lot or whore house. If you do business with honorable people, doing business can be enjoyable.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capstick.

Didn't know much about hunting Africa, but a local gunshop had some Capstick books when I was in my early teens, and I snagged one once.

Holy Cow did that make the wild dreaming start !!!!

It's gone away at times, as life has gotten busy, but always been there in my subconscious. It has actually become a reality here lately, and I'm getting ready to put down a deposit very soon. As soon as I get voice confirmation of wiring details.

It's very exciting!

Bake

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Hmmm…… well it would have been O'Connor, Corbett and J.A. Hunter at an early age. Later I guess I would have to add Capstick, Wooters and Ruark.

However having said that, there were other influences that had a more tangible impact………. like a local mink rancher who hunted Kenya and Tanzania and had a fantastic trophy room. He was eccentric, and would not let anyone in to see his mounts, but recognized a young kid who was absolutely interested in a good way…………. so he let me view his great trophies repeatedly. His wonderful east African bongo is imprinted in my mind to this day.

I will never be able to go for a bongo, but it was a defining moment in my early years when I got to get a close look at that trophy. It solidified things.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why Africa for me? Only place I could find where I could hunt elephant!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Taylor, Jose Pardal, Craig Boddington...Tony Sanchez Arino...and beeing a rifle nut with an affection for heavy calibres...

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I grew up reading about Africa and always told my self that I would hunt the dark continent "someday". Then I grew up with all of lifes priorities - college, getting married, buying the first house, children and sending them to college. Africa was still on the "someday" list.

My youngest child was still in college when my wife was diagnosed with colon cancer. She died at age 48 about a year after my daughter graduated. Obviously that was a life changing event for me. I came to the harsh realization that there is no guarantee that "someday" will always be an option.

My trip to Botswana this past May was my tenth trip to Africa. If you have a dream to do something, do it while you can. There are no guarantees in life.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutty:
Have to say it was friend of mine from college who was from South Africa.

After we graduated from college she invited myself and a few friends over if we could make it (1992). Being just graduated with no real employment prospects at the time I decided to sell my one possession worth anything (a 1967 firebird convertible).

I bought a plane ticket and spent 4 weeks driving across southern africa with friends exploring, drinking and raising hell. My buddy and I enjoyed hunting deer when we were in college and my friends dad got us on a two day hunt (all we had money for were hogs and impala). My buddy got a hog, missed an impala and I never pulled the trigger.

We stayed at a lodge on our own, cooked our own meals and brought our own drinks. When the sun went down we sat on the deck near a waterhole watching all the animals come down to drink. For a kid from NY it was mind blowing. I vowed to get back and do a proper hunt. 5 trips later I can't wait to get back again.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote