THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Getting Acclimated for my Matetsi hunt next month!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Acclimated for my Matetsi hunt next month!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted
All the preliminaries are done, My Whitworth 375 is driving tacks with 71grs RL 15, 300gr TSX's and solids. Buff and Ele are patiently waiting for us. Flight times are good and everything is ready to pack. We built a fire in the back yard last night so we could smell it and NOW this morning I'm down to the serious stuff. I feel like I'm almost there.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
That looks good to me.

Have a great trip please make sure to take a lot of pictures.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
good luck Jerry

You're spot on. Only in African camps are we compelled to drink Nescafe.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck, Great Hunting and have a safe journey.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Now subject youself to a strip search and a 2 hours wait for no good reason, spend 20 hours in the back seat of a sub-compact vehicle with no ventilation next to some large fellow with questionable personal hygiene, have your neighbors ship your luggage to Bangor, Maine and spend 10 days in the darker areas of Ft. Worth and you will be fully prepared for the trip.Big Grin

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWN375:
Now subject youself to a strip search and a 2 hours wait for no good reason, spend 20 hours in the back seat of a sub-compact vehicle with no ventilation next to some large fellow with questionable personal hygiene, have your neighbors ship your luggage to Bangor, Maine and spend 10 days in the darker areas of Ft. Worth and you will be fully prepared for the trip.Big Grin

Perry

Now that was funny! rotflmo

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Have fun Jerry. The instant coffee, however, has proved to be too much for me.

A friend of mine brought along a couple pounds of ground coffee and a coffee press.

It was a $30 solution to a much more valuable problem.

I can highly reccomend the extra work involved in getting the right supplies there. thumb

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I couldn't believe that we were drinking instant coffee when I was in Namibia. I guess it is "normal" there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
That's right Chris I took a press and enough Starbucks to last 12 days!

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWN375:

Perry

OH YEAH, I haven't forgotten, but it's a small price to pay for a few days in the African bush.

Jerry Huffaker

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I came to LIKE the blend we had in Zimbabwe so much that I called Nestle to find out where I could get it here in the US. They informed me they did not import a product that was made by one of their in-country companies. The equivalent blend in the US is a blend called Sunrise and I believe Mountain Blend. They both contain chickory which gives them their flavor. More like some of the blends sold in Louisiana such as Butternut. I like the chickory flavor.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I loved the instant coffee in Namibia as well. I also liked the "Rusks" we had with them. I've never seen them in the U.S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Huff,
So how you been doing? long time no hear from you...I see your getting geared up for the African breakfast short of rusks, but that will get you by..

The day I like Nescafe will be a cold day in hell, this old cowboy likes real coffee and that's what I get in Africa..They make it in those funny squeeze jars! hillbilly

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is the way to start a story! Keep it going man! Big Grin

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

You are a sick puppy. I can't believe that you even let that crap in your house.

What Matetsi Unit are you hunting?

Best of luck!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That coffee press New_Guy suggested is worth its weight in gold. I know you can get used to the instant stuff and even come to like it in a camp setting. But nothing beats a freshly brewed cup of the good stuff.

Have a great hunt. We'll be looking forward to a report.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Rather than drink any instant coffee, and this not only in Africa but in any part of the world, I prefer to drink TEA!!!!

But I have to admit that I found very interesting varieties of coffe in a souvenir shop in Windoek. I bought a pack of every type they have. My preferred one was the Boere Kikstart, black and strong.

Interesting that coffe press ... I do not remember if I saw anything like that at the Gustav Voigt Center in WDK

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A funny side note, I looked all over and finally found the Marmite on the internet and with shipping it was 15.00 for 4oz. EekerHa Ha , Oh the price we will pay to experience Africa.

Jerry Huffaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can live without real coffee, and as others have said, prefer chai to instant. However, Marmite is taking it a bit too far. I've heard it is an acquired taste, but I pity the fellow who had to undergo the process. Good luck in Zim.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Forget the discussion about the coffee. It's the Marmite that really needs to be the topic of the discussion. It is definitely an acquired taste. Kind of reminds me of stale semi-liquid beef jelly. stir I had some on this last trip a couple of times.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
What I though was strange was toast with butter and jelly then the squeezable pork product in the plastic wrapper added on.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I can suffer thru artificial coffee, but that damn bovine spread is awful...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I can suffer thru artificial coffee, but that damn bovine spread is awful...

Mike

+1
I can cowboy up for instant coffee, but I try not to put anything in my mouth that smells like catfish bait.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Oz we have what's called "Vegemite". If ever you get a chance give it a go, you won't be dissappointed. Has a bit more grunt than Marmite. beer

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
I loved the instant coffee in Namibia as well. I also liked the "Rusks" we had with them. I've never seen them in the U.S.

I make them often:

Mix together:
2 cups unbleached white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon or more
some raisins or oats or chopped nuts if you like

mix together:
half cup melted butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract

add mixed dry ingredients and mixed wet ingredients together to make dough. mix and roll out dough, cut into shape you want and bake on greased cookie sheet for 25-30 min at 400F.

Now to make them into Rusks, pile them onto a cookie sheet and leave them in a 200F oven overnight to dry out. YUM

Jerry, have a great trip.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I couldn't believe that we were drinking instant coffee when I was in Namibia. I guess it is "normal" there.

Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker

Frank, you make me feel like a third world ape..

I prepare my Nescafé every single day of my life, I never asociate it with Africa but for sure tomorrow morning will taste better now that I know it Big Grin

BTW, Yesterday night I enjoyed a very nice Amarula watching the fire with the lights of the house turn off Cool

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Safe trip and good hunting Jerry!
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry

Good luck and,
Have a great hunt.

The coffee press would be a great idea.

I always took a BUNCH of Folgers coffee bags, they work just like tea bags.

Not as good a coffee press coffee but way better than instant. The PH and Videographer sure did like them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
Here in Oz we have what's called "Vegemite". If ever you get a chance give it a go, you won't be dissappointed. Has a bit more grunt than Marmite. beer
yep, grunt is just about what it tastes like.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
it has always amazed me that you may be spending over $1000/day in Africa to hunt but you can't get a brewed cup of coffee. some of the best coffee in the world grows around Mt. Kenya and you are only a few hundred miles away- go figure!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recal that PWN375's fitness training regime for his first African safari/poaching trip consisted of...

Going for a run every lunchtime on the golf course- but giving his ex wife the electric cart with the deal that if she caught him, not only could she run him over, she could tell the current wife how much he was spending on the trip.

It seemed to work for Him dancing

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Walter has the best exercise routine for his hunt.

He has a pedometer, and he is wobbling it up and down, as it counts the distance he covers.

All this is done while he standing still.

He came up with this idea after we told him we have covered our fisrt 100 kilometers walking last year.

He said he could beat us, without breaking a sweat!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Ok I have to ask What exactly is Marmite ?
I had tried Vegemite and that was certainly different. thumbdown

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marmite is a yeast extract.

Jerry Huffaker

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dagga Boy:
That coffee press New_Guy suggested is worth its weight in gold. I know you can get used to the instant stuff and even come to like it in a camp setting. But nothing beats a freshly brewed cup of the good stuff.

Have a great hunt. We'll be looking forward to a report.

By the way, when junting with Jaco Human I discovered that he had an all stainless steel, unbreakable, coffee press. If you can't find one where you are they must be available in RSA, since Jaco never leaves South Africa.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
ok , so does it taste like stale beer or treebark ? one eats this solely for its vitamin content yes ?
Well i guess in a year i will have to try this stuff just because its there.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011