Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas Outdoors Extravaganza 2025
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will be on one of our 6-7 month truck camper road trips and will be in Texas the end of October for a wedding. J&J

We hope you can carve some time out to visit with us for a while…

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
We will be on one of our 6-7 month truck camper road trips and will be in Texas the end of October for a wedding. J&J

Way up on the list my friend.

Cheers
J&J

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:

Cheers
J&J

Jim, you need to give me a call while in town as well.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:

Cheers
J&J

Jim, you need to give me a call while in town as well.

Roger that.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an east coaster, I'm glad its coming to ATL. I know 15 or 20 people who will be attending as first timers. (one a very good exhibitor). I suspect they'll be a lot more first timers than you think given the huge chunk of hunters in GA, SC, FL, NC, etc. that no longer feel catered to by the NWTF (which is sadly a shell of what it was if it still exists to any meaningful degree) or DU (which barely makes a splash anymore with chapters/conventions).

The ATL airport is not bad. Its huge which makes it a little more confusing that Dallas or Charlotte or Salt Lake...but its very manageable. I fly in/out of there once a month or so. The African guys will love the direct to/from JNB.

I have not ever attended anything in the Georgia Congress Center (or whatever its called), but its a convenient spot very near i-20 and close enough to the airport.

There are great restaurants in that part of town, its very near GA Tech, MB Staduim, etc. While there is certainly a lot of crime in ATL, you'll be fine as long as you don't stroll through the 'hood alone. Take Ubers, be intelligent.

All that said, ATL is my least favorite city in the South and I avoid it when possible. However, we have some family there and my wife was a GA Tech cheerleader...so we have weddings there and make a Jackets game occasionally. It can be a good time...even for a staunch SC guy like me (its no Columbia, Charleston).

I hope y'all make the time to come. I'll buy you a drink.

Posts: 51 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 10 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
As a life member of both. Dumbass move for DSC, great move for SCI. I will be there.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good move for TTHA, I was told yesterday that booth sales are very good, that the first 24 hours of booth sales greatly exceeded expectations. Apparently, there will be a lot of exhibitors from all over.
Will be interesting to how well it goes over. I’m told they have at least two years booked with options for more years, so it looks like they plan on making it work for the Texas crowd.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted to go to one of the TTHA events. I thought there would be a lot more exhibitors of things that might be good at my ranch . Feeders , stands , etc. My schedule has never worked out . I am going to go as soon as my schedule works .

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If the event is going to be like the typical TTHA events in Houston and San Antonio, it is not going to be anything like DSC. TTHA shows, in my experience are more akin to the backhall section of DSC where you have folks selling flashlights, garden tools, deer feeders, feeder timers, etc. If you are focused on local hunting opportunities and enjoy deer and duck hunting and fishing, it is a great show. If you are looking for an experience more tilted toward international hunting, that it is not. We'll see I guess.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
If the event is going to be like the typical TTHA events in Houston and San Antonio, it is not going to be anything like DSC. TTHA shows, in my experience are more akin to the backhall section of DSC where you have folks selling flashlights, garden tools, deer feeders, feeder timers, etc. If you are focused on local hunting opportunities and enjoy deer and duck hunting and fishing, it is a great show. If you are looking for an experience more tilted toward international hunting, that it is not. We'll see I guess.

I have already seen where one big South African outfitter said they are going to Dallas and Nashville. So much for ATL.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I’ve been to several TTHA shows and you are pretty much correct about the goods on sale, However; I think this will be a different show due to the SCI influence that will surely help. I think there will be a somewhat different roster of exhibitors as well as attendees. I,too, have spoken to outfitters (African, European and South American) who are planning on exhibiting at this show, whether they do so is yet to be seen, but they’ve said they planned on it. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes, from what I’ve heard it’s going to be a pretty big show. I plan on checking it out.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, I’ve been to several TTHA shows and you are pretty much correct about the goods on sale, However; I think this will be a different show due to the SCI influence that will surely help. I think there will be a somewhat different roster of exhibitors as well as attendees. I,too, have spoken to outfitters (African, European and South American) who are planning on exhibiting at this show, whether they do so is yet to be seen, but they’ve said they planned on it. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes, from what I’ve heard it’s going to be a pretty big show. I plan on checking it out.

Karl,

I agree that it won’t be like to long running Hunters’ Extravaganzas, but similar to what you describe. I might run the smaller Miles & Miles booth here while they do Atlanta. Deposits had already been paid to DSC for the Atlanta booth space.

I’ve also heard from others who will give it a shot. I’m afraid, however, the new DSC leadership will blackball anyone who decides to try the new Dallas show only.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve also heard from others who will give it shot. I’m afraid, however, the new DSC leadership will blackball anyone who decides to try the new Dallas show only.

I’ve heard the same from exhibitors, honestly, I’m not sure this is an “official” position, to me it’s more likely the persons responsible for filling booth space might be doing this. Hard to believe leadership would condone such a thing. Either way, it causes bad feelings with exhibitors and seems like bad business to me.

Karl Evans

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hmmm sounds like the "new" DSC is sadly reminiscent of the "old" SCI... which led to the creation of DSC and HSC. History repeating itself?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got this text this morning:

Tomorrow deadline for commitment to DSC in Atlanta and the summer expo in Dallas.

28 years of exhibiting- think I’m going to pass on both

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard similar, one has exhibited since 1995, but says not next year, others have said that being told by DSC that they would lose their spot in Dallas unless they participated in Atlanta or the summer show in DFW didn’t go over very well.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The heavy handedness of running these types of conventions is hard to swallow.

I founded, along with a team of folks, a wildlife art show in Tulsa - NatureWorks.

Our founding principle was - set this up so the artists and exhibitors have the best possible chance to sell art. We charged low booth rentals and paid for the hotel rooms of the top ten sellers. We hosted dinners with special buyers to meet and greet the artists in a social setting. It worked incredibly well.

I would suspect there is room for this type of mentality in the hunting exposition arena. Avoid the chaos of auctions and mass dinners each night. Concentrate on getting buyers to the show.

We were a small regional show that netted $250,000 plus per year with 55 exhibitors. Imagine what could be done on the scale of DSC or Wild Sheep if you became "exhibitor friendly".....

Here is an idea - I fully support what DSC does and what SCI does. I am not a fan of the "clubby-ness" of the groups. If you are not "in" you are not fully valued. So, why not set up a show, charge minimal booth rental space, pay for the panels and set up with volunteers or paid workers, hold a pre-event private "meet the PH's/Operators" with open bar and massive buffet set-up. Charge attendees $100 pp, refunded if they book a safari, make this "invitation only" and hold that firm. Get the invitees list from the PH's and Operators. The caveat would be that the PH's/Operators contribute 5% of the sales back to the organization. Hold 2 or 3 premier auctions for unique or special hunts. These are not donated hunts but hunts that highly desired and hard to get. Organization to pay for the hunt at agreed price from PH/Operator, then auction. All funds above the base price goes to organization.

Do not strong arm for donations. Make the sole focus "get people to the convention". Forget the meaningless side forums that do not generate cash for the sellers. Reward the PH/Operators with the biggest sales/bookings with the better booth locations or hold a raffle/drawing for booth locations.

I think that each of the organizations are focused on raising cash, but a lot of the cash goes to overhead of the paid staff. Paid staff is needed, but I think orgs like these get fat and get consumed with boards and officers clamouring for attention and impact.

I get a little repulsed by the continuous "ask for cash and auction". I prefer that we focus on the getting the buyers in front of the sellers, then make what you can from that interaction.

For sellers of "stuff" - guns, ammo, clothes, jewelery, etc - require a percentage of sales as their fee for being at the show. We used 20% at our art show. Let these "hangers on" fund a lot of what we do as they are retailers and this is part of the cost of sales. PH's/Operators are selling an experience and service.

It would be an interesting model...

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
The heavy handedness of running these types of conventions is hard to swallow.

I founded, along with a team of folks, a wildlife art show in Tulsa - NatureWorks.

Our founding principle was - set this up so the artists and exhibitors have the best possible chance to sell art. We charged low booth rentals and paid for the hotel rooms of the top ten sellers. We hosted dinners with special buyers to meet and greet the artists in a social setting. It worked incredibly well.

I would suspect there is room for this type of mentality in the hunting exposition arena. Avoid the chaos of auctions and mass dinners each night. Concentrate on getting buyers to the show.

We were a small regional show that netted $250,000 plus per year with 55 exhibitors. Imagine what could be done on the scale of DSC or Wild Sheep if you became "exhibitor friendly".....

Here is an idea - I fully support what DSC does and what SCI does. I am not a fan of the "clubby-ness" of the groups. If you are not "in" you are not fully valued. So, why not set up a show, charge minimal booth rental space, pay for the panels and set up with volunteers or paid workers, hold a pre-event private "meet the PH's/Operators" with open bar and massive buffet set-up. Charge attendees $100 pp, refunded if they book a safari, make this "invitation only" and hold that firm. Get the invitees list from the PH's and Operators. The caveat would be that the PH's/Operators contribute 5% of the sales back to the organization. Hold 2 or 3 premier auctions for unique or special hunts. These are not donated hunts but hunts that highly desired and hard to get. Organization to pay for the hunt at agreed price from PH/Operator, then auction. All funds above the base price goes to organization.

Do not strong arm for donations. Make the sole focus "get people to the convention". Forget the meaningless side forums that do not generate cash for the sellers. Reward the PH/Operators with the biggest sales/bookings with the better booth locations or hold a raffle/drawing for booth locations.

I think that each of the organizations are focused on raising cash, but a lot of the cash goes to overhead of the paid staff. Paid staff is needed, but I think orgs like these get fat and get consumed with boards and officers clamouring for attention and impact.

I get a little repulsed by the continuous "ask for cash and auction". I prefer that we focus on the getting the buyers in front of the sellers, then make what you can from that interaction.

For sellers of "stuff" - guns, ammo, clothes, jewelery, etc - require a percentage of sales as their fee for being at the show. We used 20% at our art show. Let these "hangers on" fund a lot of what we do as they are retailers and this is part of the cost of sales. PH's/Operators are selling an experience and service.

It would be an interesting model...

I'll tell you what is wrong with that. These events are fund raisers. Lobbying/legislative affairs /litigation is enormously expensive. Without these, we (hunting) would be finished I am 100% convinced. These are the most important functions that SCI performs in my book. It isn't just the United States, it is worldwide.

At the convention this year, I heard the SCI CEO say that SCI has more lawyers "than all the other critter clubs combined." Meaning organizations such as DU, RMEF, GSCO, etc. This isn't free.

Without the money raised, these vital functions could not be performed. It is that simple.

In addition, it is enormously expensive to put the convention on. A lot of this has to be funded up front many months before the convention actually happens. We are talking millions of dollars that have to be prefunded. Waiting on fees based on sales simply will not work.

I am intimately familiar with all of this. I am chairman of the audit committee for SCI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I agree with you. My idea is pie in the sky these days.
The money needed is "a lot" and my idea will not generate enough.

It is a shame we ride the backs of the operators to get donations so we can buy them for the funding of the operations of the critter clubs.

I wish there was a better way....

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Larry,
I agree with you. My idea is pie in the sky these days.
The money needed is "a lot" and my idea will not generate enough.

It is a shame we ride the backs of the operators to get donations so we can buy them for the funding of the operations of the critter clubs.

I wish there was a better way....

Keeping hunting alive and well is complex , expensive matter . I wish there was a better way but I have not been able to figure it out.