THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    live report from Chewore north with Chifuti Safaris..NEW Update added 18th oct

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

live report from Chewore north with Chifuti Safaris..NEW Update added 18th oct
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
People , I thought that it would be a fun novelty with my new toy (my bgan satellite link) to give you regular updates from Chewore north with Chifuti Safaris, I see Kathi doing that from Ethiopia so I thought I would try the same.

… Joe Whittenkeler , a good friend of mine who first hunted with me about 6 years ago is back we are looking for a tuskless, a buffalo and a hippo , as well as some plainsgame … we have chosen chewore north because of the high odds of success on these three heavyweights !

Day one ..

After sorting out some lost bags Joe and I flew into camp , it was very dry on the way in but as soon as I set foot on the dust of the Zambezi valley and took my first look at the river in three months, I had an overwhelming feeling - almost like I was home …

The camp was looking excellent , green grass and cold drinks a welcome change from the heat and dust … the huge old acacias in the camp still heavy with pods and a trop of vervet monkeys were in the riverine bush.

After the mandatory range session , where Joe proved beyond doubt that his rifle had traveled fine , we set off to work the Chewore river mouth …we didn’t have a lot of time but as soon as we engaged four wheel drive and started down the dry riverbed we started to see game … a bushbuck female ran across in front of us , a young elephant hurried over the river and on the ecnd bend , we came across a small herd of elephants , with just half an hour of sun left we just stopped to enjoy them …

No tuskless but nevertheless great to sit and watch …then a huge warthog ran up the bank , so scrambling for guns , ammo and shooting sticks we followed him up … no success as Joes forts bullet of the safari was deflected by a branch but a great start to a hunt and as we drove back in the balmy evening Joe commented how happy he was to finally be here .. I feel the same way and as I type the hippos are grunting and a distant fishing owl is hooting …it doesn’t get much better !

Well its up at 3.30 tomorow for an early start to get to some springs I know in the hills in the hopes of a dagga boy so I will sign off …more tomorrow…

Flying in ….

The camp . looking great

Joe at the range with his .375

Our first elephant , half an hour into the first outing !

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Best of luck Ivan... keep us posted.
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hey, that's cheating. Looks like the road crossing to Sapi at the Chewore R. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ivan. Good hunting. I've been to that camp three times; you're right it looks great. You can also tell what time of year it is by the sweat on Joe's cap just at the range behind camp. Stay cool.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Good hunting Ivan

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
This whole live report thing is so cool! Looking forward to more updates.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No Wonder his bullet was deflected... he is a Lefty... Everything is catywompas... shocker

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Anyone else found that that shooting bench was built for tall hunters?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
Day 1
Sorry I didn’t get to post last night , we left camp at 4.30am and I must say by the time we rolled back in at 8 pm I was beat !!!

It was a hard day , we started on the chewore river and our main goal was buffalo , right at the soutern boundary of the area a group of bulls had drank the night before , too late to follow ..

Then we spent the rest of the day just scouting pans , I knew that we wouldn’t be doing too much tracking , on the first full day I always like to scout as much of the area as possible and get a feel for where the game is moving ..

Even though we ddnt shoot anything we had a great time , saw a couple of herds of zebra , lots of impala and baboons , a couple of kudu cows and nearly 40 elephants ( no tuskless of course ).

The heat of the day was truly the heat of the day and we spent that in a tiny patch of shade , we were all soon asleep only to wake up dripping in sweat and covered in mopane flies !!!..

An uneventful but very good day as that ended with a small group of three elephant bulls …the largest of which was about 40 pounds on his larger tusk , and two small askaris …I guarantee if we had been looking for bulls we would have been seeing cows all day !!

Elephant tracks …where there are tracks there are elephants !!!
Crossing out of the chewore riverbed ,

Day Two
After yesterdays scouting and getting a feeling for where we thought the buffalo might be drinking , we didn’t leave quite so early today , tyres rolled this morning at 5am…the first few drinking spots we checked had nothing , but the fourth stop had a small herd of buffalo with what looked like three or four bulls in it ..we were far behind the buffalo having drank in the night and we had only discovered the tracks at about 9 am..

Two hours of tracking later and we were just moving through some mpane when I saw a tail flick in front of us , luckily we were all close together so we sat down and did a quick quiet assessment of what was happening ..

The herd was resting in the shade next to a mudhole barely visible through the thicket …crawling on the ground was very effective but extremely hot …but it did get us to within 60 yards of the group …as luck would have it the only bull I could see was a soft boss bull , so we started to edge around for a diffent angle …

Just as we did so there , in the mudhole was ayoung bull , 30 yards ahead of us , he had been turned away as we stepped out so hadn’t seen us , but we froze and something caught his eye … then just five yards in front of us 4 warthogs bust out of the shade …that most definitely got his attention but they didn’t smell us and soon came right back and laid down …he continued staring in our direction - whew , that was a long ten minutes as we stood completely still ,then he thought the better of his position and got up and wandered over to the main group … giving us enough cover to get them in sight ..

We were sitting glassing when a huge bull came out of the group , not very wide but huge in body and with a tremendous boss , I got joe on my shoulder to look at the bull through the scope …as soon as he saw him he said ‘that’s exactly what I want”…knowing that one can get carried away in the moment and wanting him to be pleased I had him put his rifle down and I explained every aspect of the bull , we had time , the wind was steady and the buffalo hadn’t any idea we were there …joe confirmed that a heavy boss was most important to him , so I took apart my shooting sticks so he could use them sitting down and got him ready ..

I could hear his breath was a bit ragged , I told him to take a deep breath he did so and immediately I saw his barrel steady …

His first shot was quartering towards us and his hit was perfect , the bull staggered almost fell and then ran off with his tail straight up in the air ..

Not even a minute later his death bellow came out of the jesse as we were walking in , there he was , he had gone about 40 yards ..a finishing shot rounded off the hunt and we retreated to let the old guy die in peace ..

Wow ,what a hunt I then sent joe on his own to just look at and admire his buffalo , I always like the person I am guiding to be the first to touch his game …and as usual I left him for a few minutes ..

Well one of the three heavyweights down , now its onto tuskless!!!! Not often you can go out and shoot a big old bull and be back in camp for lunch !!!! as usual would rather be lucky than good!

Looking for tracks around the pans …

one of my favourite things , following trackers !!

the herd hard to distinguish in the dry jesse

the young bull that nearly bust us

one happy hunter

a man and his trophy just taking a moment

the feet whose footsteps we followed

Joe and I admiring his trophy

Well folks its late and another big day tommorow ….more then !

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, that's cheating. Looks like the road crossing to Sapi at the Chewore R.

very close will ,about 3 km upstream from there wish you were here Smiler

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ivan, outstanding as usual...

Love the pics.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
Great writing and sounds like you are having too much fun.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ivan, its almost like being there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan: You should write a book. Your tales are very nicely written and your personal story is one of such determination and pursuit of success. You have a better "feel" for Africa and a very pleasant way of communicating it to the masses. And oh yeah, I guess you do have a few nice photos too! Nice to hear you're "back home" again.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ivan!! Someday soon it will be my turn. I really enjoy your posts.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ivan: You should write a book. Your tales are very nicely written and your personal story is one of such determination and pursuit of success. You have a better "feel" for Africa and a very pleasant way of communicating it to the masses. And oh yeah, I guess you do have a few nice photos too! Nice to hear you're "back home" again.

Moja

thank you marc i appreciate your comments

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
Day 3 (afternoon)
Having killed our buffalo this morning we decided to walk down the chewore for the afternoon , we had located during the morning some areas with huge amounts of elephant sign , where the elephants both bulls and cows were digging in the sand for water …
Well as planned we drove to a spot about 3 kilometres downwind of where we wanted to start walking …

As we arrived at the river a large herd was there , with two tuskless , one had a calf and one was not mature , oh well onwards we went ,not easy walking in the loose sand however as we rounded the besnd in the river our sweat and efforts were rewarded …the riverbed was literally littered with elephants ,

Just because we didn’t have a bull tag , the closest elephant was a bull ivory conservatively guessed in the high 40s but very long and beautiful , he may have been over 50 but for this area definitely a shooter , but even more impressive was an old cow that was with him with literally 6 feet of ivory …look at this old girl ..

Well a tuskless , huge in body with no calf wandered down the far bank and joes breathing got ragged , for a guy who has been hunting all his life I think that’s so cool that he got suck a kick out of it , she was walking right towards us but still about 200 yards out , the issue was we had two other groups that we would have to navigate between ..

Anyway , we started making the distance and she kept walking cvloser smelling each of the dig holes , as we got to about 100 yards my heart sank , she had a stump on her left side …oh well , no tuskless but we stayed for another hour just wantching elephants coming and going , digging in the riverbed and squabbling over where the best holes were , what an awesome experience … we left completely and utterly happy , a great buffalo in the morning and an awesome elephant experience in the afternoon …doesn’t get much better than that ..

Then you will not believe it , on the way home a young leopard in the last light ran out from next to the road across a sandy patch and through a squawking and cackling flock of guineafowl …what an end to the perfect day. …not to mention of course home cooked dinner to the chorus of hippos and fishing owls !!

Day 4
An early start this morning , rolling out of camp just before 5 , it was a hot night but the morning breeze and pink sky soon made that a non issue ! ten minutes out of camp and one of my U bolts broke , luckily I have spares and in half an hour we were rolling again .

We cut tracks of a large herd that had crossed in the night and so before it warmed up we saddled up and followed , less than an hour later we came across the back end of the bunch all feeding on a downed baobab ,

some what worrying just how many baobab trees are being demolished by elephants these days …no tuskless , and so we climbed a mountain nearby following the crunching and crashing of elephants feeding …again no tuskless so back to the truck we went , on the way a set of very fresh large male leopard tracks , the hills of chewore are an awesome place to be hunting these…there is simply the perfect habitat and plenty of food …

A little further down the road and a troupe of baboons a couple of bushbuck and three warthogs were way down in the valley , a short stalk and joe had himself a fine old boar …thick old tusks and ugly as a bad mother in law !!! we trussed him up and carried him to the truck , not easy as they are truly very heavy beasts …

Not a bad morning in all ….

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Carrying spare U bolts.
Not bad.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
keep the reports coming!
thanks

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Carrying spare U bolts.
Not bad.

I agree. If I were in Ivan's shoes I would want a spare of most things under carriage related in that kind of country.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great reports Ivan... I enjoy keeping up with the daily diary!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
Afternoon of day 4

After a hearty lunch we decided that seeing as yesterday was simply so productive along the chewore river that it was worth another try , so at about 3 pm we left camp , it was still too hot for the elephants to be moving but the drive time to where we wanted to be was at least an hour ..

We got into the river at exactly 4.15 and started a brisk walk …where the river had been jam packed with elephants the day before today was just sighn , no elephants , so I sent a tracker back to the vehicle with instructions to drive down the river and collect us (wherever we might be) at dark and off we went ..

He had only been gone for ten minutes or so when here down the ban comes a herd of ten elephants …we stopped to glass and there was no tuskless , they were completely unaware of our presence and walking steadily towards us along the sand when down the bank , 50 yards behind the main group comes an old cow … tuskless !! her sunken cheeks and wrinkled face so distinct , her head had deep “dents” in it , a sign of great age , her empty breasts between her front legs mere memories of fertile times …she was the perfect cow for this hunt ..

My heart skipped …this would be perfect , the wind was perfectly at 90degrees to us so if we climbed the bank they would all walk below us , we would then get into position for the old girl at the back and be able to take her without getting mixed up with the fiery leaders of the group ..

As we climbed the bank it all changed … the wind shifted and instantly the whole herd stopped as if they had hit something solid , the two largest cows lifted their heads , swinging them in annoyance and for a moment I thought we were in for a showdown … as fast as it swung the wind came right again and now was directly in our faces , we kept still hoping the elephants would at least cross onto the chewore side ( the river is the boundary) but no , with a swing of her head the lead cow shuffled up the bank and as the whole group ;eft the sand they all froze , and then waited for at least a minute ( seemed like ten to me !!) and they left …oh well that’s what its all about I suppose ..

Riverbed walking is a weird thing , its hot and hard work on the loose sand but each corner of the river bekons you and you hardly feel the miles , according to my gps we walked 9 and a half kilometers that time , quite a walk in 2 hours on sand …we saw three other herds of elephants , impala , grysbok , kudu cows a troupe of baboons and as the sun was setting a male leopard started in the riverine again making me regret not having a tag !!!! still , an awesome day of hunting and as you sit and wait for the truck , the heat has gone , the tsetses are gone and nobody says a word but each person is in their own little bubble remembering the day and just soaking up the moments , the sky was deep pink by the time the truck came , its diesel engine kind of intruding on our moment ..

Let me tell you a bit about joe , he is a great guy and one of the wonderful things about this job is the people you end up with in the front of your truck for hours at a time , time to really get to know a man …Joe has been in Alaska the last 40 years as a young man was a trapper …a tougher guy you will never meet , bent fingers tribute to a break while on the trail with just a willow branch as a splint , his cheeks susceptible to sunburn from being frostbitten so many times … truly a tough man fitter than people I have guided half his age ..he is a constant stream of great hunting stories and trapping tales from the arctic winter trapline for 18 years to the bears he has hunted …over 50 himself !!! anyway , he was a pleasure to be around , having saved for years to do this he was thoroughly enjoying every moment and truly appreciating the detail of the hunt … what a privilege to spend time with a true bush person as this …

Day 5
Today was a day we wanted to concentrate on hippo … Chifutis’ Chewore North area is , in my estimation the best stretch of river for a hippo hunt ..we needed a break from the 3.30 or 4 am wakeups and hippo hunting is all in daylight so at 4.30 when we were woken we all felt like we had had a treat …30 minutes is a bunch in those circumstances !!

The river ….

Our first plan was to take a drive and look at two pods I knew of , the gamble was of course weather they would be near the bank or in the centre of the river ..

We parked the truck about 500 yards inland so we would not make any niose and crept up on the first group …they were nowhere near the bank in fact we all lying in the backwater of a big island , I put that in my memory in case we needed it later and we took off to the next place …

As we got off the truck the place felt lucly , huge acacias had formed like a grove , there were baboons , impala and waterbuck picking up the pods and the green caperbushes were in flower covered in butterflies , what a place to be hunting , far different from the parched interior!!

As we reached the edge of the river and peeked over the bank a small family of hoogs were making the most of the thin strip of green that lined the river there and there they were , about ten hippos , all within 50 yards of the waters edge , the issue was we had a flat sandbank of about 100 yards to cover to get to the waters edge !!

We stayed in the shade of a tree for about 30 minutes while I just checked each hippo as it came up and went down again , just to confirm that there was , in fact a bull with the group .. it turned out that I thought actually there were two one old and one young , though the young may have been an especially large cow !!

So taking my pack for joe to rest on and with everything else we needed we set off across what seemed like 100 miles of flat sand , each time all the hippos were down (which wasn’t often ) we would dash a few yards to come to a dead still stop as soon as one surfaced , …45 minutes of this foolish looking behavior ( which I found out later had the trackers doubled over in laughter!!) and we were at the waters edge and set up …

With my binoculars to my eyes and resting on my elbows I began again to look for the bull ..joe was having trouble getting steady so we rearranged his rest …he was very unsure though …but after several changes everything looked good …now where was that bull ..

With sweat dripping into my eyes and my hands going numb we decided to put our heads down for a rest …as we did so a boat cruised along the Zambian bank and of course every hippo lifted its head right up to watch and I wasn’t ready , scrambling for my binos and getting back up in position I was too late and could only see half the bunch clearly ..

Finally and I mean finally ! the bull showed up on the left of the group , and we wer all ready , joe was rock steady the bull was asleep with his head on the back of another and my heart was pounding blood through my ears so loud I was sure the hippo would hear it !!

As calmly as I could I told joe , the one on the left at the base of his ear , he is 89 yards out , take your time , s q u e e z e the trigger …three seconds later a shot rang out …

To my dismay a huge splash three feet to the right of our bull and after than all the hippo yo-yoing up and down , how could he have missed !? after all that !! a review of the video footage confirmed that yes it was a clean miss , the scout agreed and so at least we could try again but as we walked back to the truck you could cut the silence with a knife joe mad at himself and his gear , me mad with joe (but trying very hard to be upbeat and not to show it )… It all turned out to be a very loose mount , 15 minutes at the range and with simple tiny bolt tightened and we were good to go again … that could have been a costly little bolt , and without daily checking who would notice …

We set off in the boat to look below the island at the group we saw from the bank .. it was going to be a long slow crawl , with burlap laid over us as there was absolutely no cover ..

A burlap skirt !!!

Sure enough it was a long slow crawl , one and half hours and with blisters on our knees we found ourselves sweating , the sand sticking to our sweat baking under our makeshift shawls and both in pretty bad moods !!

Andy Ross our cameraman … unfortunately the camera does not lie !!!

That was shortlived however as we rested within 100 yards of the group and we started kidding each other (I told him if he had shot straight we wouldn’t have to do this again , he told me if he shoots straight with the next shot he wont have to put up with me no more !!!)

Our view of the group from low down on the sand

Well again we were lucky and after a bunch of glassing selected a big old bull …we got steady and ready and joe squeezed off , the shot was a little low hitting the hippo from the front , right on the bridge of the nose , he threw his head up and sank , I thought that was great we shook hands and stood up to stretch , both of us felt ninety years old at that point … the trackers and gattrick brought the boat around and we all started guessing how long it would take to float ..

Suddenly bashop , my lead guy pointed and yelled , “mvuu eee ino fema ropa” that hippo is breathing blood …sure enough a hippo surfaced and a spume of blood blew high and crimson into the air , whats worse he was heading for the deepwater channel and could go anywhere….we leapt into the boat and I am embarrassed but compelled to tell you that in a 30 minute fiasco that closely resembled a five year old soccer game lots of shouting , rushing to the last place we saw him …the hippo each time he surfaced was above water for less than a second and that’s all the time you had to shoot…with shots ranging from 75 to 150 yards it was an incredible display of bad shooting (from both joe and I and unfortunately all caught on tape) …on my tenth and last round with my double the hippo came up and I managed to at last score a direct hit in the back of his head , joe shot a little low almost at the same time and from the video we knew he too had had a neck shot …

Four hours of waiting with little chat and we decided to go and see if he had indeed drifted downstream … just below the camp , which was about 5 km down from where we had our “watch the ph miss” session there he was anchored to a shallow sandbar, he was well well boated , I am sure he had been there at least two hours , but alls well that ends well and I jumped in the water , hauled up his head and pulled back his top lip and there was some magnificent bull ivory in there , whew at least all that wasn’t for a large cow ..

The long wait !

Needless to say joe was thrilled and the sight of his trophy made him forget my shooting ( for about a minute)…the hippo was tiff with rigor mortis so we couldn’t open his mounth for the photo but I will post a pic of his tusks later .. by the time we dragged it behind the boat back to the camp and got him out of the water it was pitch dark …

After a full day of sun and adrenalin without a lunch or snackbreak we got back , had a huge hearty meal of buffalo fillets from joes bull , in true Chifuti style this was with a rich starter and a desert that begged you to have more ….bed was more than welcome and think my eyes were shut almost before my head hit the pillow!!!

Joe , his third great trophy in three days !!

Joe and me …friends again !!! look at the size of this hippos head !!!

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the great stories and pictures.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Great write up so far. You do have a talent for bringing the reader to the hunt. I've been very lucky to brain all of my hippos but I can only imagine the goat rope when it goes badly particualrly in a big river like the Zambesi.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can only imagine the goat rope when it goes badly particualrly in a big river like the Zambesi.

ha ha goat rope , i have also heard it called something that begins with cluster..... Big Grin

alls well that ends well though

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
Day 6

After a very long day on the hippo yesterday , needless to say we slept like the dead !! 4.30 am came around pretty quick and we rolled out of camp at 5 am …heading for the mountains , we hadn’t been up there this trip and it was always a treat for me being in the huge country , big mountains , usually lots of elephants and great vistas ..

On our way up there we came across a huge amount of sign and actually twice left the car on fresh tracks and the first time didn’t even see the cows as the wind stayed firmly on their backs and they simply took off and three kilometers later were still running , a small group , it was not worth prime hunting time gambling the whole morning on the chance of a tuskless ..

The second group we followed led us into the thickest of jesse and even though it was bone dry and not a green leaf in sight , it was still plenty thick , luckily (in hindsight) they got a whiff of our wind , left the valley and we saw them , all twelve of them climbing out of the valley , one tuskless but she had a calf so strictly off limits … back to the truck , it felt like 10 am but it was still before 8 !!!

The thickest of bush …

Then we started to get some elevation , the cruiser in first gear and low range gently climbing the steep and loose gravel roads , steep drops on one side of the car , almost vertical upwards on the other , we came across 6 different bulls and a herd of cows fairly close to each other , no tuskless with the herd , but we carried on …

The we went through a very dry patch , no elephant for about an hour and a half , lots of tracks but nothing followable … then a tap on the roof brought the truck to a quick stop , immediately switching off the engine I climbed onto the back …there on the next ridge was a cow and calf ..

We walked along a ridge nearby to see if she was alone or part of a herd when I noticed in the shade way way below us three other cows and two juvenile bulls feeding and resting in the shade , we couldn’t see the tusks of the three and it took about 40 minutes of watching and waiting till the largest one stepped out …tuskless !!! now we had to see if she had a calf or dependant youngster with her …she appeared to be on her own and I needed to look closer so we began the descent …the elephant path we started on soon became more like a goat path …very very loose , very steep and frankly quite hair_raising , all I needed was for one of us to go tumbling down and it would be a terrible place to get a guy out of with a broken leg …we were very very careful and very slowly made or way down , zig zagging down the elephant paths…the strong wind stiffly in our faces ..

The herd at the bottom of the valley

steep climbing and thick dry crunchy bush !!!

As we got nearer it was obvious that the tuskless had no calf and was old and actually very large …perfect ..

We strated to close the gap , I put in my sport ears and it seems that as son as I feel that in my ears it means go time and my heart started racing , from the look on joes face his was too …

At about 50 yards I stopped , asked him to just check his gear , his scope was turned down to the lowest , gun loaded , no loose gear …the cow by now was still under a tree the rest of the herd having moved on …

We started walking briskly in , I got joe next to me and grabbed is shoulder …”what are you doing” he exclaimed , “come come” I urgently whispered , at that point , she was about 25 yards away and looking in our direction , we were still in some fairly long grass that I wanted to get in front of , so we kept moving briskly towards us , she lifted her head high …this was going to be perfect !!!....

We cleared the long grass as she lowered her head and here she comes , silent , gathering momentum and growing larger and larger ..

These are the moments one lives for everything slows down , your quarry has your full and undivided attention , you are so acutely aware of the animal and your senses seem to be super sharp…

Wait , wait , wait , she came closer and closer what on video was just a couple or three seconds seemed like an age in real life , as she crossed the 7 yard line, by which tie I had shouldered my rifle I said “okay shoot” joe shot ,I can distinctly remember the tiny blossom of dust and a hole appeared in her huge lowered head .. a fraction too low but enough to stop her , she immediately tossed her head up , I had already taken the tension off my rigger and my first barrel was also low she turned and I put my second barrel behind the shoulder , “RELOAD SHOOT AGAIN” and joe hipped her , she staggered and fell just 15 yards from us…we ran around behind her …”between the ears between the ears” “okay right now ?” “yes right now” …and it was over

as it turned out joes first shot had been very close to the brain and penetrated to just above her heart ,so low was her head at that point .. mine had done the same ,going through all the main arteries above her heart… my shoulder shot had also found the heart and the hip shot had gone through her and ended up in her chest cavity , I wish now I had a picture of her heart …three bullets through it and literally in pieces.

Joe looked at me with a mixture of emotion , shock , elation , sadness and everything in between …he should my hand , a man of few words he just said “wow, that was something” “I never knew it would be that good”…

I left him to look at his animal and we retreated to the shade …a weird moment - almost an anticlimax as its all over ..

It was a very elated yet strangely quiet group that climbed out of that valley in the midday sun we had worked hard , put in the time and been rewarded with the ultimate experience …

An incredible four days with Chifuti ,rich and variable in the extreme and a memory that will always be with an old Alaska mountain man !

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ivan, please tell your client, Joe congratulations and I personally know the emotional roller coaster he was on...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Great writing Ivan. Sincere thanks for sharing this with us.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report Ivan, thanks for that!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, Ivan. Nicely written, and as always very nice pics.

Looking forward to day 7 Smiler

Torbjørn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan and Joe, just a fantastic experience even for those of us back here reading and watching on the computer screen!

I can feel the money beginning to trickle so slowly from my pocket!

Thanks for sharing the pics, feelings and the overall experience of safari.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing the hunt with us Ivan. It's almost like being there in person. Congratulations Joe!

Posts: 82 | Location: Loxley,AL | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome report. Keep it coming.....

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great reading IVAN- Thanks...I am stuck in camp for 4 more days while everyone is hunting and this was a great diversion...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ivan...appreciate you taking the time out to post the report and pics.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote