THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    2 Buffalo Shot On The Run And A Honest To Goodnes Buffalo Charge!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 Buffalo Shot On The Run And A Honest To Goodnes Buffalo Charge!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
An honest to goodness buffalo "charge"

A typical buffalo hunt.

We got onto the tracks in the morning, and soon caught up with the bulls.

They ran up a hillside, and we followed them and managed to shoot one.

WE left him and continued to follow the other one.

He was never very far from us, but, due to the bush, we could never see him.

Hours later, we found him lying down.

I fired a shot at him, and he jumped up and took off. We ran after him.

Somehow, he changed direction in the bush, and headed straight for us.

We got onto a head-on collision course. But, as soon as he saw us, he veered to his left, and I put a bullet into his neck.

No drama.

Sorry about the camera angle.

It wasn't planned before hand.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun Saeed, great follow up shot gets the heart pumping a bit!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Won't run for me.

Saeed:
Where? Details etc.

What have we always been told?
"you do something long enough, sooner or later IT'S GONNA happen?" Right?

Thanks for sharing, glad you were missed and got the fatal shot in w/o tangling up.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
That is a great piece of film! I remember that from three or four years ago. I was impressed then, and it was nice to view it again. Good shooting Saeed!

.............................................................. BOOM........ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done once again Saeed

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Holly balls
Very
very cool
That's Africa everyone loves

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Excellent rifle shooting!

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to see and learn !

Thanks Smiler

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Great running shots! And the 375/404 worked like a charm Cool

I can see the point of a lightweight rifle, when running through heavy bush chasing dangerous game!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is awesome video, those are some amazing running shots!! Where did they connect for that effect?

Posts: 1020 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Bet the PH's ears are STILL ringing!

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
Wow, that is awesome video, those are some amazing running shots!! Where did they connect for that effect?

I think both were neck shots.

Comes from years of shooting birds, which tend to shoot in the head and neck.

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingnut:
Bet the PH's ears are STILL ringing!

True.

I did apologies for shooting so close to him, but he was very kind about it.

Saying "that could not be helped"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two flying buffalo, shot like quail on the flush, and even quail can cause a heart attack. rotflmo
Nice gun handling the way you raised the rifle to swing over Roy's head, no sweep of Roy, then you were both "on point" like bird dogs ...
And no red toenail polish in the flutes of the .375/404 this time.
No juju needed. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Nice gun handling the way you raised the rifle to swing over Roy's head, no sweep of Roy ...

I noticed the exact same thing before I even read your post.

Fine and safe gun handling skills. In the heat of the moment is when accidents can happen, especially if you are not aware of your surroundings.

Very good shooting and situational awareness.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I think I was more impressed with the first flying buff shot. Looked like there were several trees and bushes between shooter and target. Well done picking the right lane and proper follow thru.

I, too, noticed the proper gun handling on the second buff.

Nice shooting Saeed!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks just like it could have taken place in the northern territory of Australia.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
A Honest To Goodnes Buffalo Charge!

Can you honestly call that an "honest to goodness charge"? You didn't even give him a chance to choose how he wanted to die....
rotflmo

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was super impressed with the shooting and the overall demeanor of the hunt...well done Saeed

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
A Honest To Goodnes Buffalo Charge!

Can you honestly call that an "honest to goodness charge"? You didn't even give him a chance to choose how he wanted to die....
rotflmo

Jason,

You know how it is.

A normal honest to goodness hunter does not give the animal he is hunting any chance of deciding how to die.

He kills it as quickly as possible, without any drama.

Of course, we have some who claim to let the animal decides how to die - can one really imagine anything more stupid than this??

It is called the normal hunter mentality against the "Hollywood, look how brave I am" mentality.

That is another reason one does not get good camera angles in a normal hunt, as it is never pre-arranged.

One just has to take the shot as he gets it.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is another reason one does not get good camera angles in a normal hunt, as it is never pre-arranged.

One just has to take the shot as he gets it.

Very well said! A lot of the "letting it choose how it wants to die" is really about setting up a scenario that allows the scene to be caught on film while allowing the hunter to play hero.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things were just real slow loading up to get started.
Finally got it looked at today, several times.
Very good hunt the way you guys went at it. Great results too. I like it when they slide to a stop with all the dust and bouncing. Makes it look damned impressive kills.

Thanks much for sharing with us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lot of the "letting it choose how it wants to die" is really about setting up a scenario that allows the scene to be caught on film while allowing the hunter to play hero.

tu2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
That video put me right there with you. Hell of a shot on that first buff! Well done! Well done all around.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

A lot of the "letting it choose how it wants to die" is really about setting up a scenario that allows the scene to be caught on film
while allowing the hunter to play hero.

...but you would be surprised how many small minds get genuinely impressed & excitable about such immaturely staged nonsense.

quote:

I fired a shot at him, and he jumped up and took off. We ran after him.

Somehow, he changed direction in the bush, and headed straight for us.

We got onto a head-on collision course. But, as soon as he saw us, he veered to his left, and I put a bullet into his neck.

Saeed, sounds like the buff [finally] chose to die running awAy from you, rather than At you..... fishing... Big Grin

on another note:

I am sure having a scoped rifle positively aided Saeed in placing the shot on the stationary Buff obscured by brush and tree trunk.
Seems the scope didn't prove a hindrance on the follow-up running shots either.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Two flying buffalo, shot like quail on the flush, and even quail can cause a heart attack. rotflmo
Nice gun handling the way you raised the rifle to swing over Roy's head, no sweep of Roy, then you were both "on point" like bird dogs ...

My thoughts exactly but put much better. I thought it was like a sporting clays shoot, jumping rabbit.Only it is a flying cape buffalo in this case.

6:19-20 was hair raising. Wink

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 813 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Fabulous shooting, Saeed. I'm pleased to see you're a Leupold guy like I am. I take my Vari-X III in 4.5 X 14 X 40 on top of my Winchester Model 70 with me to Namibia, and it's never let me down. I too like a stainless barrel and action and a synthetic stock. My barrel isn't fluted like yours- I like the extra weight to lessen the perceived recoil.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote