THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    570g Barnes TSX or 600g Woodleigh PP for Cape Buffalo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

570g Barnes TSX or 600g Woodleigh PP for Cape Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi, I was thinking of loading either a 570 TSX to about 2300 fps followed by the 570g Barnes banded solid at the same velocity or a 600g Woodleigh PP to 2150 fps followed by the 600g Woodleigh solid at the same velocity for dangerous game loads in my 500 Jeffery. Pros cons to either?

Thanks,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Hi, I was thinking of loading either a 570 TSX to about 2300 fps followed by the 570g Barnes banded solid at the same velocity or a 600g Woodleigh PP to 2150 fps followed by the 600g Woodleigh solid at the same velocity for dangerous game loads in my 500 Jeffery. Pros cons to either?

Thanks,

Chuck

With a .500 Jeffery? Hell I wouldn't worry too much - either combinations will do just fine.
Just remember that most PHs will prefer the solid as a following shot. (I'm one of them).

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, thanks! I'll make sure they shoot to the same point and feed flawlessly well before going anywhere.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
kibokolambogo,

Is there any neccesity of using a solid for following shots on buffs is someone is using 600 softpoints grains bullets ??? Eeker

A following shot with a good 600 soft will not reach a buff vitals from any angle ??

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

It is not a rule of law to use a soft first and solids later but one of personal preference.
In general I would say that most PHs prefer that sequence.
Reason being the first is usually directed at vital areas of the chest cavity and maximum damage is required.
A soft will break bone and lacerate tissue - the body mass will also absorb the full impact of the shot and will
more often than not knock the buffalo over giving the shooter the opportunity to slot a second one in quickly.
A solid to the same vital area is likely to go whistling through, level of damage will be limited and the risk hitting
of the exiting projectile hitting another animal increases.
Following up with a solid can be frontal (charge) or a disappearing rear end - in both cases you would have the entire body
mass to traverse and that is what the solid is designed for.
A soft frontal shot may cause premature deformation of the bullet and substantial loss of weight and the eventuality of
a deflection - (a solid will just go marching on). A soft on a disappearing rear end will slow down if it hits the meaty
side of the hindquarters and damage will be limited - a lucky strike at the base of the tail would most certainly close
the deal but if it misses it may travel just a little further a come to a dead stop in grass-filled stomach.
A solid will react differently as it will be intact (no mushroom effect) and the desired impact effects and length of travel
will be achieved.

The only time I discard the use of a soft is in thick brush where a soft may already start deforming before reaching the
intended target.
Remember the first shot is always a more relaxed one and placement comes easy - the ones that follow may not be so accurate.

Hope the above explanation helps

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote