Find
Notify
Tools

Tools of the trade
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted
A lot has been said about rifles of PH's and also (especially) about loaner firearms. This promted me to put a little more perspective on it, as I am a true gun nut, and have excellent rifles as loaners. (Contrary to the believe of most clients that all camp/ loaner rifles are junk.)
Here is a picture of my rifles that sees the most use:
.450 Rigby (my personal backup rifle)
9.3x64 (2nd backup, loaner for DG)
8x68 S (PG and loaner)
7x64 (PG and loaner)
.243 Win (culling rifle)

Please feel free to comment on the caliber choice,etc. or if you are a PH post your choices. Other members are of course also welcome to post their dream battery.
(The one gap I see is about to be filled- a .404 jeffery as a client rifle, it kicks about as much as a .375, but because of the bigger bullet, clients feel more comfortable with it facing DG than with the 9.3x64. (Or a .375 for that matter). It is unbelievable how many clients asks me if I am sure the 9.3 is up for the task, especially on elephant, then they kill it with one single shot to the brain.)

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the "duintrappers" (dune steppers?) sticking into the photo's bottom!

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
cool ya'll post some more stuff like knife and rifle. regards,ben

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Nice looking guns Karl

what load do you use for your 243?

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...........Karl ,, Very nice ,,,,,The banded foresight on the 450 and 9.3x64 ....could you post a closer pic of them ............That is a very nice battery of rifles ,,,, ? what do you cull with the small bore ...???

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
At least I can say I had two shots with Karl's 450 damn fine looking rifle/s thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
For sure Karl has very nice rifles and I could think me into having all of them.

But his offer with loaners are not as great as he wants to let you think!

I suggested that i loaned his 450 for the next 5 years but after that he was looking quite angry for the next hour or two Big Grin

On the more serious side that rifle was a dream to hold and to shoot. And about the others there are some nice pieces to.

----------------------

But it's no wonder why people are afraid of loaning rifles, I have seen real crappy rifles being offered to clients that did not bring their own.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More details on the specifics of the big bores

please. Who built them, action sources, etc. Smiler

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Ja CC, I know you wnat to "loan" the rifles!

The load in the .243 is a 105Hornady A-Max propelled by 40gr S365 and a CCI200 primer and Lapua case. I have culled numerous springbok and gemsbok with it last year, some eland and kudu and a few zebra as well.

I will try and take a pic of the front sights soon, charging batteries for my camera.

The 2 big bores where both build by Gerrie Coetzee in Bleomfontein South Africa. (As were all the rest of the pictured rifles).
On the .450 (origibnally build by someone else, he just redid it as teh first 'smith's job was horrible in retrospect), a Vektor copy of the Mauser double square bridge Magnum size action was used, with a Vektor barrel and Turkish walnut for the stock. The pad is from David Little of Kynoch (I think thats his name?)
The 9.3 is built on a old military M98 action marked DWM Oberndorf, also with Vektor barrel and Turkish walnut stock. It is incedently one of the most accurate rifles I own.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, THAT was a great setup for handling most of the situations during hunting in Africa!!

I like repeter rifles and are fond of the m-98 action (or the clones) for any type of big-game hunting. The rifles in the pic. above looks really good to me with exactly the style and look I like in a big-game rifle. The bottom .243 mabye breaks the line of beutifull walnut and CRF but the rifle appeal to me as well! I´m a keen benchrester and don´t mind a precision rifle with a fat barrel and a good carbon/glassfibre stock Wink

Again, a great lineup of beautifull rifles!!

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
gumboot, here's your close up. hope its what you wanted!

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:

The load in the .243 is a 105Hornady A-Max propelled by 40gr S365 and a CCI200 primer and Lapua case. I have culled numerous springbok and gemsbok with it last year, some eland and kudu and a few zebra as well.

i use 87gr hornady hpbt or sierra gameking 85gr 39.5gr 365 and cci200 primer

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn Karl, that is a nice line-up!! Those are lovely rifles in general, and great stocks in particular. What is more, you seem to hunt with all these gems, they are not just safe-queens!

Sadly, now I can't come hunting with you... I'd feel somewhat out of place with the rifles I shoot, they are, umh how shall I put it, somewhat more "mundane" - plastic stocks and all....

Tell us about the 8x68S and the 7x64 as well, please. 8x68 on a commercial Mauser, or what?? Is that your long range Gemsbok gun??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful collection Thanks for sharing!
Shotgun

Posts: 111 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Karl.
If those are loaners I would like to see your safe queens.

Nice stuff thumb

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Karl, your guns are beautiful.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Karl, those are great looking rifles (except that plastic stocked Remmy, of course Big Grin).

No gaps in the power range, especially with the addition of a .404 to the mix.

Excellent optics, too.

As cchunter has said, I'd take a five year loan of any of them!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifles. I dig that you use the 9.3 Brenneke... good to hear, as it's one of my favorites. All the rifles are very aesthetically attractive as well.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What..... no DR's?

Still very nice functional rifles.

Well done!

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...........Yes , thanks Karl ....The base looks like it would protect the bead very well ......Very attractive also ....Thank you .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl: Your rifles are living proof that use makes beauty, thanks for posting them.

My question is what stock dimensions did you use for your "loaners?" Were they built for you or did you have them made "generic" so as to fit the variety of clients?

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Nice riflles Karl but all the bolts are on the wrong side.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Has anyone who used one of your rifles (especially the 9.3x64) complained that the scope's eyepiece was mounted too far back for them?

It may be because I'm a large man with long arms, but I mount my scopes as far forward in the rings as possible to avoid a Weatherby medal. It's easier for me to move my head forward to get a full image in the scope than to pull it back.

Beautiful wood on the 7x64. What is it?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles Karl.

I enjoyed using Karl's Mauser 98 in 8x68S in Namibia in 2006 for a variety of warthog, springbok, gemsbok and hartebeest.

Has always wanted one in that calibre myself so it was a good chance to try it out.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles and scopes, Karl
Would be happy to use the 9.3 for any game if my rifles couldn't be used.
beer

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Rifles. Looks like your ready for about anything.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The 9.3 and 8x68 are especially good looking. But I see you use a cheater on that 450 trigger guard!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Will, I am not sure what you mean by a "cheater"? Please enlighten me?

The 8x68 S is my long range gemsbok, mtn zebra, kudu (in Khomas Hochland and Karas Mtns) backup, as well as PG only hunts backup, or sometimes a client use it. The 7x64 I had build out of sentimental reasons, as it was the first caliber I personally owned, having grown up with my grandfather's and later my father's 8x57. After I wore out the barrel on the factory Musgrave 7x64, I sold it, and about 3 years ago, I decided to build one as well. I have'nt used this one much, have borrowed it to 3 clients so far, but it sure is a shooter. Both the 8x68 and the 7mm has Oberndorf Mauser actions (ex military and commercial respectively). Both have Turksh walnut stocks and the 8mm has a McGowenn barrel and the 7 a Vektor.
I do not believe in safe queens, I like working rifles, even the old 8x57 (that I have inherited in the mean time) still see some action once in a while.

As to double rifles, I love the nostalgia and look of them, but at the moment I beleive I shoot my .450 better than most people shoot a double. Whould love to own a .500NE one day though...

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A nice battery of rifles that will look even better with the addition of a 404 Jeffery.

At least your toe nail look better than mine! animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Karl,

It is more just a sniping comment about guys that claim one will not get there middle finger chewed up by the rear of the trigger guard if only the LOP is correct, one grips the rifle correctly, blah, blah.

The plastic(?) transition piece on the back of the 450 triggerguard appears to there to keep your middle finger from getting bruised. At least that what it looks like. At least the trigger on your 450 is rearmost in the bow so that helps anyway.

In my experience, the big boomers chew up my finger. Ouch!

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Will, there is no plastic insert. It must be an optical illution with the gemsbok skin. The trigger is bent backwards, thats all.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
All the rifles were build on "my" dimentions. I am average height, 6 ft. and so far the rifles worked well for most clients. I had a Spansh guy struggling with the 9.3 on an elephant last year, but because he was very short. So far, no one has had "weatehrby eye", I think the swarovski's movable eyepiece also helps with that. If a client wnated to move the scope forward, that would be very easy to do, as it has to be resighted for him/ her anyway.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:

....As to double rifles, I love the nostalgia and look of them, but at the moment I beleive I shoot my .450 better than most people shoot a double. Whould love to own a .500NE one day though...

I'd be willing to bet that you can (and hopefully you get the chance) to shoot your own DR better than most people Smiler

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Karl,

What bullets and velocity do you use with each rifle?

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles Karl. Kudos to you for setting up everything moshi. I hope to join you someday and see them in person.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what - no H&H royals?? Big Grin Eeker rotflmo hillbilly

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whew! I sure do lust for that top rifle, looks like it should be mine..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
As they say in afrikaans "Haal uit en wys"
http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/johnh227/AR%20...=DSC00335_resize.jpg

starting from the top, 500NE, Jefferies 4004, Win pre'64 mod 70 375 H&H, Win pre'64 with Shilen stainless match bbl in 30-06, Zastava actioned 308 with Madco stainless match bbl and lastly Zastava actioned 223 with musgrave bbl.
I used to use the 375 as a back-up rifle, and still use the 500 as my personal DG rifle.
But these are all available for use by clients.
http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/johnh227/AR%20...=DSC00343_resize.jpg
This is the varmint special which is used for jackal, baboon and other such like critters, she groups comfortably under an inch at 300m.

And finally, for those lads who are on the north side of 45, these mauser cocking piece peep sights are made here by a buddy in durban, and will be adorning the 404, which had a peep sight at some stage of its life judging by the bolt.
http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/johnh227/AR%20...=DSC00341_resize.jpg

It is shown next to a 45acp cartridge for scale.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Karl, what a nice collection thumb

Ahmed Sultan