THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    ZIM: National Parks Ranger killed by elephant

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ZIM: National Parks Ranger killed by elephant
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201312100172.html

Zimbabwe: National Parks Ranger Killed By Elephant
BY PROSPER DEMBEDZA, 9 DECEMBER 2013

A 49-year-old Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority ranger was killed by an elephant on Friday last week while on patrol at Rifa Education Camp in Chirundu. Mashonaland West Provincial police spokesperson Inspector Clemence Mabweazara confirmed the incident.

He identified the deceased as Mukusa Mathews. Inspector Mabweazara said Mathews and Muphin Chirisa were on patrol when they were visited by the now deceased's niece, Catherine Muzeza.

They took Muzeza home and on their way back they encountered a herd of elephants. One of the elephants charged towards the rangers who were armed with AK47 rifles. Mathews fired a shot in the air to stop it. The elephant did not stop. It attacked Mathews breaking his skull and legs. He died instantly.

Chirisa escaped unhurt and reported the matter at Chirundu National Parks. Police were informed and took Mathews' body to Karoi Hospital Mortuary.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9373 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The AK-47 is a decent battle rifle but it is not an elephant gun.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly. If this happened in the USA, there would be a lawsuit against the employer. What happened to all the 458s and 404s that the Rhodesian Govt issued to their rangers?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the article. He shot in the air.

Would not of mattered if he shot a .577 in the air.

This man worked to try and protect the wildlife of Zim.

He should be honored for that.

His apparent training was a little suspect; he didn't recognize a charge, and shot to dissuade it instead of shooting to kill- but then again, I wasn't there, and elephant are pretty notional beasts at times.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't there so no coment about his actions.

he was doing his job now may he Rest in Peace.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
On the basis of a 4 line report, we now have experts offering their opinions.......

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable.

Say what you will, but to arm a game ranger in elephant country with such an underpowered rile is lunacy.

This poor fellow's only hope was to try to frighten the elephant away.

With that pea shooter, he sure as hell wasn't going to stop it.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on a tuskless hunt in Rifa in March this year. We were charged by a group of cows after shooting the tuskless. We shot one in self defense. It can all happen really fast! I just followed my PH Frik Muller and did as he did and it all worked out. But it all happens very fast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a memeber of the Zimbabwe Hunters Association who run the Rifa Education Camp near Chirundu.

The ranger was not on patrol, but walked a member of his family 5km back to Chirundu. On his return, by which time it was dark, he ran into a cow herd of ele......

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holzer375:
I am a memeber of the Zimbabwe Hunters Association who run the Rifa Education Camp near Chirundu.

The ranger was not on patrol, but walked a member of his family 5km back to Chirundu. On his return, by which time it was dark, he ran into a cow herd of ele......

If he had been on patrol, would he have been carrying the same AK, or a suitable rifle?

I ask because my point is a simple one.

Do not patrol, or ask another man to do so, and absolutely do not stroll, in DG country without a DG rifle.

As others have said, things can happen fast, and when they do, a stopping rifle, well used, can make the difference.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, but parks do not have enough suitable weapons to issue to each ranger. Besides they are issued with either AK47s, FN FALs or SKS rifles for anti poaching, not for defence from animals. They are instructed not to get themselves into a position where they have to shoot any animal in self defence.

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holzer375:
I agree, but parks do not have enough suitable weapons to issue to each ranger. Besides they are issued with either AK47s, FN FALs or SKS rifles for anti poaching, not for defence from animals. They are instructed not to get themselves into a position where they have to shoot any animal in self defence.

I hear you, brother. Tough job, indeed. Instructions be damned.

Mike