Find
Notify
Tools

44 Magnum Revolver to Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted
I'm thinking about bringing my 44Mag along with my 416 and 375. Do I understand correctly that it's okay to bring a revolver into Zimbabwe? I read somewhere that you can't use a handgun as your primary hunting weapon in some areas, but it's legal have with you. Is the paperwork process any different with a handgun vs rifle?

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You beat me to the post! I have a 45/70 revolver I was toying with bringing to Zim next year, but I was not sure if there were restrictions on handguns or quantities of firearms.

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
If hunting on government concessions - $400 license fee. That quote is less than 30 days old. And it better look like a "hunting handgun" and not one used for self-defense. Long barrels and mounted optics will help define its intent. In the "old" days, I would take my S&W .44 magnum with 3" barrel into Zim with my rifles, but no more. If overnighting in JNB, be prepared to deal with SAPS as well.

I was considering taking one of my S&W 500 revolvers into Zim on my Ele hunt in September, but the $400 fee changed my mind.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I hunt Africa almost exclusively with handguns and never have a problem.

Generally speaking, handguns for self defense are illegal, so it's best if the gun can be easily identified as designed specifically for hunting -- a scope on the gun makes this very easy and single-shot handguns never present a problem -- but I've not ever really had any issues even with guns that some folks do carry for self defense.

Licenses are, of course, required -- but aside for the expense and paperwork, these are not hard to get.

You can easily get away with not using an agent to obtain your licenses ahead of time when you're travelling with just rifles -- but with handguns I wouldn't take that chance. Much better to be extra safe when traveling with pistols -- governments the world over love to find an excuse to confiscate them.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Get Ganyana's advise on this one. Also, remember you will be transporting your handgun through other countries along the way, possibly including New York or DC. Check the whole route and get word from Ganyana as he lives there and knows what's going on.
Good luck,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 350 Remington Magnum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I was considering taking one of my S&W 500 revolvers into Zim on my Ele hunt in September, but the $400 fee changed my mind.

Ele hunt $20.000-30.000. License $400.
I can't see the problem cost wise...

Weatherby, Symbol of Superiority!

Posts: 70 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
That's what makes the world go round. Different strokes for different folks. I didn't consider the $400 prohibitive, just insulting. BTW, I have taken world record trophies with a handgun in Africa. And your experience with handguns in Africa is? rotflmo

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 350 Remington Magnum
posted Hide Post
Well, my comment was cost wise. And, I have hunted in Africa with a handgun. I just haven't had to pay $400 fee for it.

Weatherby, Symbol of Superiority!

Posts: 70 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If overnighting in JNB, be prepared to deal with SAPS as well.

Though I didn't overnight in Joburg, I had no problem with SAP either. My paperwork was done ahead of time with the assistance of PHASA so that may have helped. Planning on doing it again next year.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote