Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 450 No2 Safari: Personal Safety
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
Glad to hear you had a good hunt. It seems like the big Zim operations (HHK,Russ Broom ect) are still doing fine. The places I was in Zim I also felt the people were friendly. I flew in and stayed at Vic Falls the airport was a cake walk and had a nice time in town. They dropped us off at the falls and said they would be back in a while for us. Doesnt seem like something they would do in SA.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The following comments are based on my observation and on discussions with residents of SA and Zim and on my observence of the people.
Johannesburg is NOT SAFE. I stayed 2 days and nights at the Afton House. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Everywhere we went we were driven and picked up. I went to several resturants and to the Bruna Market shopping. On one trip [daylight] 2 carloads of thugs pulled up on both sides of us. The 2 of us in the front seat were armed. I had a "little" stare down with the vehicle on the left and both vehicles backed off. You cannot leave you vehicle unattended in Jo'berg, especially if it is one of the desireable types. I spoke to a couple of cops while there and to several citizens in the resturants. All the people were very nice. Be sure and eat at the Ocean Basket while you are there.

Zimbabwe:
While I did not go into a big city as soon as I was in the Airport I noticed a different type of atmosphere. The people were even friendler. I went to several villages in the OMAY and had as many a 100 people show up at the site of an elephant kill. The people were very nice. I felt much safer in Zimbabwe than I did in South Africa. We encountered an Anti poaching patrole while on the boundary with a nearby National Park. They too were very nice and friendly. The officals in Zim NEVER asked or seem to expect any "tip".

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
ZIM: This sounds like god news to me.Thank you for posting I needed that with all the bad news that has been going on lately. Something positive for a change. This does however not change what have already happened

Johannesburg should have one of the worst crime rates in the world It is a lost sector nuke it

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I echo your comments about Zim, the people that I encountered in April were polite and friendly. We drove from Harare to the Valley, and back again. The police at the road blocks were fine, including one of the "original party members" as identified by the pin he was wearing, once he found out I was from the US. All were very grateful for visitors. I was told by my PH that, for better or worse, things are more settled in the northern part of the country as the reigning party has full control there. I went there expecting the worst based on what I was reading, and was pleasantly surprised by the people.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote