THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    17 year old WA state girl killed by croc at Mana Pools

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 year old WA state girl killed by croc at Mana Pools
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted
Washington teen killed by crocodile
08/07/2003

By KING Staff

Students at a school in Spokane, Wash., are mourning after they learned one of their classmates was killed by a crocodile.

Katy Reeves, a 17-year-old Spokane student, was attacked while vacationing in Zimbabwe with her family at Mana Pools National Park.

Reeves was with her parents and a sister when the attack happened.

No details were immediately available, but Peter Witherspoon, a family friend, said Jack Reeves, the girl’s father, briefly called over a satellite phone and asked him to break the news to their other two daughters who had remained in Spokane.

KREM
Katy Reeves
Katy Reeves was going to start her senior year at St. George's School, which she had attended since sixth grade.

News of her death hit hard in the close-knit school of 370 students.

“It’s like a family here,” said Don Civola, who supervises the upper grades.

Civola didn't want Reeves' classmates to hear about her death "through the grapevine," so he spent much of the day calling students.

He described Reeves as "a really great kid" who was active in the school's drama and arts programs, as well as its community service efforts.

In addition to dancing and performing in school plays, Katy Reeves taught at the Dance Emporium school. Last summer, she traveled to the gulf coast of Costa Rica with a St. George's biology class to work with sea tortoises, Civola said.

Witherspoon and Civola both described Reeves as vivacious.

"She was a lovely person, a friend of everybody," Witherspoon said. He said he has known her father, a fellow lawyer, since high school.

Her mother, Carol Reeves, is a school speech therapist.

News of the tragedy also was felt deeply at St. David's Episcopal Church, where the Reeves family was active.

There was no immediate word on the funeral arrangements or when the family will return from abroad.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Very sad, Another example that dangerous game IS dangerous!

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
It is just not fair, but Africa proves once again how unfair life really is.

It always hurts me to see someone so young taken so tragically.

My prayers are for her family and friends.

Posts: 6252 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mana Pools is a beautiful place, but quite often there are similar stories from there. Within just the last two years I believe there was a tourist killed by an elephant, and a lion attack.

Regards,
John Barth
Adventure Unlimited, Inc.
safaris@trip.net

Posts: 157 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a story about another tourist being killed at Mana Pools. As I recall, something bumped up against his tent at night, he punched at the spot, and a lion swatted back, with devistationg results. Probably happened in the early 90's. These 'park animals' are probably much more dangerous ones than those found in safari areas. Kinda like mountain lion in California. Not enough fear of man.

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The poor parents, what a horrible loss. My heart goes out to them.

It is too bad the good die young, but, on the other hand, if it was otherwise many of us wouldn't be here. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The worst part is there is no closure to a croc attack as a rule...

I witnessed the scene of a croc attack on a young Shona I believe and the only thing found were his lungs, heart and and some innards that were thrown up on the bank...Apparantly the spinning action can do this or so I was informed by the Game ranger....

Nasty business, croc attacks...

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote