New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retired
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After a final (sucessful) Lion hunt in December I have retired from the main safari sceen for the forseable future.

My Nephew has taken over the property, outstanding bookings etc - and I wish him luck and happyness

I am getting too old and grouchy to put up with hunting with people I don't like- I am not prepared to 'subcontract' hunts, even from friends and reputable outfitters except for the odd client who has become a real friend and who's company on a hunt is a pleasure.

The Africa I started hunting has passed- the days when we could look over a couple of 40+" buff and I would say 'leave them, we'll find something better tomorrow' are gone and so has too much of the satisfaction. I was never a good 'outfitter'- I enjoy hunting- but now I can hunt on my terms.

I will still be hunting (for myself), Writing occasionally and an active member of ZPHGA and forums like AR but am not booking hunts.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As you say, the good old days have gone but retirement from the field Is a wonderful feeling isn't it? tu2 Smiler

And hey, if you get over to Portugal we can always try to find you a stag or something! Wink

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
RIP Wink beer

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Now that you have more time, come to Egypt for a visit and I will take you after some waterfowl. I will always recall the buff hunt you kindly offered me personally (and that I should have taken) a few years ago!

Best,

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear that it has come to that but you are absolutely correct in your decision. You deserve some good quality time in your life. It obviously has taken much thought it is like General McArthur said "Old Soldiers never die, they just fade away".

Go Well

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear friend now you have time to came and visit me ,i hope we visit your country together someday ...........HAPPY NEW YEAR BROTHER .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, I would have liked to hunt with you, Ganyana!
Hope you enjoy your retirement.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Your words have always carried great weight with me, Ganyana. I envy you being able to hunt for yourself on your own terms in Africa, even if she has changed yet again.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never met you but have enjoyed your writing immensely. All the best.

Regards

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
After a final (sucessful) Lion hunt in December I have retired from the main safari sceen for the forseable future.

My Nephew has taken over the property, outstanding bookings etc - and I wish him luck and happyness

I am getting too old and grouchy to put up with hunting with people I don't like- I am not prepared to 'subcontract' hunts, even from friends and reputable outfitters except for the odd client who has become a real friend and who's company on a hunt is a pleasure.

The Africa I started hunting has passed- the days when we could look over a couple of 40+" buff and I would say 'leave them, we'll find something better tomorrow' are gone and so has too much of the satisfaction. I was never a good 'outfitter'- I enjoy hunting- but now I can hunt on my terms.

I will still be hunting (for myself), Writing occasionally and an active member of ZPHGA and forums like AR but am not booking hunts.

After 30+ years in the guide-outfitting industry I completely understand. Enjoy your retirement and YOUR hunts.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck in your retirement. I've often wondered how you gentlemen put up with some of the demanding, sniveling, know it all "hunters" I have seen in some of the camps I've been in.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Good luck and congrats on your retirement. For most of us out here it would be nice to know who you actually are.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wishing you the best in the years to come! I agree that African hunting has evolved since I first hunted in Zim in 1994. Some things for the better, a lot not so much. I can only imagine the changes you have been witness to. All the best!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Good luck and congrats on your retirement. For most of us out here it would be nice to know who you actually are.

Smiler +1

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
All the best in your retirement Ganyana! Glad to hear that you will still be writing and hanging around here...I've learned a tonne from your contributions and have really enjoyed your writing.

Cheers,
Chris

quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:

Smiler +1

Smiler Google knows everything, but failing that you can refer to Pierre Van Der Walt's book "African Dangerous Game Cartridges".

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As others I wish you a great time of retirement and always look forward to your posts on this forum especially.

I find you a no-nonsense guy who is experienced and tells it like it is.

Enjoy yourself and if anything I hope you would consider posting more beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of us know who he is... but we won't tell! Wink

Ganyana, have a great retirement! At 77 I'm still hunting and enjoying every minute of it... may you do the same! It was your writing on the 9.3 X 62 that sealed the deal for me. So I purchased one (Tikka T3 Lite)as my primary bear rifle.

I look forward to reading more of your experience and insights though I never expect to visit Africa again.

Best to you. Smiler

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 849 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer
I suppose congratulations are in order. May we all be so lucky one day!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'm curious, why the big mystery surrounding ones identity?

Regardless, congratulations. I find retirement to be "the perfect occupation".

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well - join the ranks of all of us other grouchy old bastards beer

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the retirement of the 4th epoch of safari is afoot. Best of luck.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Esskay:
I have never met you but have enjoyed your writing immensely. All the best.

Regards

+1 Best wishes for your retirement. Good hunting!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Best of luck on your retirement. I can appreciate the mixed emotions that come with the decision. After 30 years with the same company, after the close of a merger in December, I turned in my keys, badge, parking card, etc. yesterday and my official last day is tomorrow. Very liberating and very sobering at the same time.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you have only tired of the business. Retiring before you hate it is the key. Now you can enjoy the pastime again and soon you will be as unemployable as I am.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
retirement this coming May!. my wife asked me what am i going to do with my free time? my answer: ANY FU--ING THING I WANT TO DO. 43 years of listening to patients bitch and moan is enough for anyone... congratulations on your retirement, Ganyana- BY GOD - YOU EARNED IT!!!!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your retirement. Not a decision undertaken lightly, I expect.
The irony for me is that I have delayed my retirement so as to be able to keep going back to Africa. Good thing I like what I do the rest of the year.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
As someone who retired from a "regular" job in 1999, I can assure you that retirement is the best time of our lives. Unfortunately, we're too damned old to do all the things we'd planned to do when we had time to do them.

There was a time I thought I knew who lurked behind your "handle," but your post today shows how wrong I was.

Congratulations, and enjoy your retirement. Our time on this planet is far too short.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the retirement! Some of you are a real downer! Saying your too old to do what you wanted...dont say that! You can do anything you want, just set your mind to it!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have your views on the 9.3X62 cartridge stored carefully as a major part of the info I have on this great cartridge.

Hope to read more of your stuff.

Thanks & God bless.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
Good Luck. Enjoy your Retirement.
Its always good to hunt on your own terms.
Have read some of your articles , enjoyed them, keep writing, good hunting, happy retirement.

Posts: 97 | Location: columbus, ohio | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Good Luck boet, the missus will be happy that there is less chance of you being draped over a buffs horns or stuck to the bottom of an elly's foot.
chat soon,

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
retirement this coming May!. my wife asked me what am i going to do with my free time? my answer: ANY FU--ING THING I WANT TO DO. 43 years of listening to patients bitch and moan is enough for anyone... congratulations on your retirement, Ganyana- BY GOD - YOU EARNED IT!!!!!!
I am not surprised all your patients would bitch and moan. stir

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed the hunts we have been on and hope when my girls get done with college and I have a bit of $$$ we can do another hunt or two. African Hunter magazine has never been the same since you stopped writing the Editorials.

Give my best to your family and I hope to see you again soon.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you, Ganyana!! Enjoy your own hunts!!

I understand perfectly! I, for a while, starded with a friend a hunting company down here in Patagonia, for Red Deer and European Wild Boar. Quickly we discovered that make to hunt peopple we don`t like (the same in the fly fishing guiding...) would be to much. So, soon, we ended the operation...!

Have a good new life!!

PH

One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
Congrats on retirement, you just know when you've had enough and it's time to get out. Well done.

Now it's time to go play with people you want to play with. Enjoy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is always bitter-sweet to see the changing of the guard. It does seem a wise choice to follow the satisfaction out the door though. All the best. I look forward to many years of your story telling both here and in print.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
G - bless you - it will never get any better - You Made It Happen - Thank You:

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:

I am getting too old and grouchy to put up with hunting with people I don't like- I am not prepared to 'subcontract' hunts, even from friends and reputable outfitters except for the odd client who has become a real friend and who's company on a hunt is a pleasure .

My wife and I have always strived to be that person. If the PH isn't having fun how can the trip be fun?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Ganyana:
I've been retired for eight years now and nothing, repeat nothing, threepeat NOTHING is better than being paid for not working. Enjoy your free time and following your own schedule.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Best of luck and fun!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote