New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selous On Elephant Rifles
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
He gave me much information about Matabele Land, and showed me the large-bore elephant guns which are universally used by the professional Dutch and native elephant-hunters.

I eventually bought two of these very unprepossessing-looking weapons, which I will here describe. They were smooth-bore duck guns of the very commonest description, taking a round bullet of four ounces, the guns themselves weighing only 12½ lbs.

They were made by Isaac Hollis of Birmingham, and what they must have cost originally I am afraid to say, for I bought them from Mr. Williams after they had been transported by bullock waggons over 600 miles up country from Cape Town for £6 apiece. With these two guns, and another similar but weighing 2 lbs. heavier, which I bought the following year from a Dutch hunter for £7:10s., and using nothing but the common trade powder that is sold to the Kafirs in 5 lb. bags, I killed in three seasons seventy-eight elephants, all but one of which I shot on foot.

Since then I have shot with very expensive large-bore breech-loaders and Curtis and Harvey's best powder, but I have never used or seen used a rifle which drove better than these common-made old muzzle-loaders. However, they were so light that, when loaded as they were by the hand from a leather bag of powder slung at my side (I find that an ordinary handful of powder is over twenty drachms), they kicked most frightfully, and in my case the punishment I received from these guns has affected my nerves to such an extent as to have materially influenced my shooting ever since, and I am heartily sorry that I ever had anything to do with them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67019 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one of Selous' books around here somewhere. I need to find it and read it again. Moved recently and things are not as organized as I'd like.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a library of hundreds of old books.

Only read one on rare occasions.

But, I have a Kindle app on my iPad, which I carry with me when traveling.

I gave Kindles to many friends, and they can of course buy any book they wish from Amazon on my account.

This system has been great, as we all like to read, and have different interests in books.

Looking at our Kindle library, we have several thousand books!

Many of which are old books which are cheaply available.

All Selous’s book are there and I can read them any time.

Currently I am in Norther Sweden, and despite many complaining of global warming, I am having a coffee, reading a book on polar exploration and sitting by the fire!

It is COLD here! clap

Posts: 67019 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed. Enjoy your icy pole

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Thanks Saeed. Enjoy your icy pole

Thank you.

Waiting for the kids to wake to have breakfast.

Then a walk in the forest.

Did a 17 k walk yesterday.

Pictures on the photos forum.

Put a trail camera on a rocky outcrop, got fascinating pictures and videos of various birds.

I will update that thread while I am here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, where in Sweden do you have this cabin..?

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Small village called Mosson.

Year long population is 30 families.

Makes feel like I have gone back in time to Astrix and Obalix time!

Everyone out to have a laugh.

Yesterday one man took his boat out, after fixing his engine.

A bit later his engine cocks out.

He calls someone to tow him back.

The rescuer runs out of petrol half way in.

Someone is scared of snakes.

I put the word out for a live snake - plenty dead ones on the roads here.

Got a call that some did find a live snake.

And being very helpful, he put it in the outside toilet of the man scared of snakes!

We will see what happens!

I like these Vikings clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah..you mean Møssøn...close to Huddiksvall I presume..?

Yes its fun to place dead adders when people are scared of snakes.. rotflmo

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
Ah..you mean Møssøn...close to Huddiksvall I presume..?

Yes its fun to place dead adders when people are scared of snakes.. rotflmo

That is the one.

Our neighbors went hunting with me last year.