Find
Notify
Tools

Live from Damaro Ethiopia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Congratulations... hope the weather starts to cooperate a little more.
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Wish I could do that hunt someday. Ethiopia is my favorite African country. Remarkable beauty and the people are fascinating and very hard working. Enjoy!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hunt Kathi! Sorry no Bushbuck. That would be driving me crazy. Look forward to your pics. Safe journey, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

Congrats, sounds like you and Rick are having a great time. Good luck on the hyena.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
Kathi,
Cheers to you & Rick !!
Be safe in your travels and post pics when possible.

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 440 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The spotted hyena hunt was an absolute blast. There is a huge grass plain very near camp where we see reedbuck, bushbuck, nyala, warthog etc. feeding out in the open during the evening. The trackers tok a warthog carcass and placed it in the open field. After dinner, we went out and a hyena was in the area. Nassos used a mouth predator call and got the hyena's curiosity. Rick shot the beautiful male hyena and he dropped in his tracks.

The grass plain near the Damaro camp has so much game it reminds me of National Geographic shows.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well now,
What a surpirse. I got back from a Newfoundland moose hunt and finally got caught up enough to check AR and find myself getting a blow by blow of Rick's Mt. Nyala hunt.
Congrats!
Good Shot!
dancing
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a heck of a time, looking forward to photos!

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip, congrats!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Congrats Kat and give Rick a big hug for me. I can visualize that area so well--like I'm still there. My "anniversary" is Nov. 8th. That's awesome that he got a big ole' bull. Amazing Nassos can still climb those hills huh? I knew you'd love that grassy wide plain across the road and down the hill from Damaro camp. Like I was saying, you just have to go see it for yourself to believe it.

See you guys upon return.
Moja

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a super hunt!!! Can't wait to see the pix...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Rick and Kathi congratulations on a fine hunt.
Good shooting. Good luck on the hyena.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Congrats on a super hunt!!! Can't wait to see the pix...

+1

one of us
posted Hide Post
This was so cool. Nassos wanted to explore a new area that is known as the Somali Region of Ethiopia. So we loaded up the truck with a few game trackers and the Regional Game Scout and headed out. As we kept driving on the one lane dirt road we began to see camels grazing next to the road. The men were wearing only what can be described as a mid-calf length kilt and the women were dressed in these beautiful full lenght brightly colored dresses with head scarves.

When we stopped in one of the villages to ask about game in the area, one of the trackers was able to communicate with the villagers as they spoke Somali.

The villagers all gathered around the truck and I could not believe one of the male villagers was wearing a sweatshirt with the word HICAGO.
Obviously the C fell off of CHICAGO.

Amazing country and very friendly people.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Kathi,
Congratulations to you and Rik for a great adventure in a place few will ever venture to! Also kudos on the Nyala and hyena... sounds like things are getting even more adventurous as you explore new lands!

All the best...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I am really looking forward to the pics on your return.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the spotted hyena! The last time I saw hyena in Ethopia was on t.v. and the host of the show went outside of the city to feed a pack of hyena at night with some locals. They were even brazen enough to put food in their mouths and to allow the hyena to come up and pull the food out. Crazy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
That was in the town of Harrar. The original "hyena man" got killed by...you guessed it...hyenas!
homer

I first set foot in Ethiopian in 1982. It was the most different diverse WILD place I had ever beeen. I've been consistantly drawn back and even though the population has increased from 27 million then to 87 million now (no that isn't a typo) there are still areas that take your breath away.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update on the "Hyena man", Rich. That really puts the things that I saw them do with the Hyenas on that particular show into real perspective!

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I saw that Hyena man and thought, "that doesn't seem too smart."

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wishing you both a Happy Anniversary!! What a great place to be spending it....
Mike & Linda

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip. Glad you are having a good time.

Geoff

Posts: 103 | Location: southern wisconsin | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

THANKS for sharing your hunt with us !!! what a great hunt !!!

Congratulations.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
Rick and Kathi,

Hearty congratulations on a wonderful trip and two great trophies. And thanks very much for sharing your hunt with us.

D&J

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great and unique hunt !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering the other day if you had ever gotten over to Ethopia, and then I stumble across this. AWESOME, Kathi! I hope you had the time of your life and I can't wait to see pics, video, etc. Ethiopia has always been a place I would love to visit.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote