THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Scope or Open sights for Dangerous Game?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope or Open sights for Dangerous Game?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Nick, Ray, Saeed, RA

Let me know what happens at the range, assuming you guys aren't too old to operate a stop watch.

Whoever wins and puts the cash in their pockets, I hope B.S. ain't nickels because all your pants are going to fall down.

Posts: 19321 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Will,
Reread the posts, you old pot stirrer, you.
The "better than anyone" superlative was neither literal or mine. I need all my nickels to go hunting in Tanzania.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Looks like MY pot stirring had it's intended effect. The scope is superior. Iron sights are nice accessories as backup, and slightly more rugged, thats all.

Ray, you pay my way and I'll have a shoot off with you. What do we do about the age handicap? You have about 20 years on me I guess.

Maybe I will get in line behind Saeed if you still want to after he gets through with you.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

<Don G>
posted
I always figure this topic is like religion - there's no use arguing about it as everyone knows they are right!

But I would like to see the match!

Two extremes:

1)shooting at a four inch ball tossed from an unexpected location at 15-30 yards in dense brush. (Standing/walking.)

2) shooting at a stationary basketball at unknown range 200-600 yards. Prone/over limb/over rock. 10 second time limit.

Sights/scopes can be adjusted but not changed/exchanged. I believe these two extremes show the strengths and weaknesses of each sight.

I'll choose my 1.75-6 variable on detachable rings, as I want my scope most of the time. But in the really thick stuff at close quarters I want an express-style sight.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoa there Donny boy, I did state that the scope was king beyond 100 yds...I think I said that or something similar.

We will shoot clays going away at 25 yds and a 3" stationary bull at 50 yds., timed. I WILL TO use my double rifle, or an old beat up 30-30 trapper that belonged to my grandad.

RA will have all the advantage, and I will be a poor underdog struggling to survive..

Will, Nick and all would definitely be invited to participate and the beer is on me.

But alas, reality sets in and unless we can put together a hunt or meet at some SCI event we will never have our friendly match, so much the shame as that would be great fun, win, lose or draw..

Unless, of course, Saeed who must be a large oil magnate will send us all a ticket to Dubai and feed us, cloth us, lodge us and wine us and let us visit his harem, then I would not care who won that silly bet.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I did say a "friendly" match, I never mentioned any money!

I am so confident of the outcome of this shoot, I have no wish to deprive any of my friends who will participate in this match of their money, which I hope they will save for thier next African hunt

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67079 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don G....how fast can you detach your "detachable" scope...there must be a time limit from the viewing of the target and the shot.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray...make that clay targets coming "at" you for realism and I think if I read the posts someone was very proud of their abiity to use iron sights out to 150+ yards. Let me suggest a course of fire..... 4 targets 200 yards, 4 at 100 yards, 4 at 50 yards...all targets to be 8" circles and fall or break when hit...any position but you must stand to reload after each distance, any rifle of .375 or better with a minimum of 4000 ftlbs of muzzle energy (no semi-autos or extended magazines), any sights. After all these have been hit by the shooter he gets to break a 4" baloon on a string at 15 yards to stop the clock. Shoot as many times as you want to hit all the targets but the first one to break the baloon wins.

This could be a challenge at the next SCI in Vegas....the youngster and scopes against
the iron sight old-timers.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB,
For sake of fair play, do you think you could find it in your "black heart" to omit the 200 yd. target of this little ditty...maybe even the the 100 yarder, and keep this at point blank to 50 yds. or at least 75 yards...It's an offhand match, you know, of the hind legs, thats the way men shoot, Bill!! We're killing dangerous targets, not plainsgame targets (DGT) and DGTR (Dangerous Game Target Rifle)

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
DB,

My scope preference was NOT to try to win the silly match, but IS my choice for my hunting rifle.

It probably takes me a minute to get my scope on or off. I would not try to change the setup when the fur is flying, but would change it based on cover and conditions if I had time.

Ray, I know what you said, I was just trying to point out that there really is no single best answer.

"It all depends!"

See, I knew this was a waste of breath. I shoulda stayed well out of it!

Running for cover,
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don...my preference is also a 1.5x6 but mine is a Swarovski. This variable range of power is probably the best of both worlds for a rifle that will be used on dangerous game.

Ray...I'll agree to 75 yards on 2 conditions: (1) you must wear knickers and wear a pith helmet and (2) you need to keep a chaw of Redman in your cheek whilst shootin'. Fair enough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DB,
OK, I'll wear the knickers and the Pith helmit, but I will only chew between matches, heavy recoil tends to make funny things happen with a good chew...for instance:

When I shot my light weight 505 my jaw flew open and filled my scope with chew and spit..

HA! another reason for iron sights!! what ya'll scope lovers got to say about that one!! GOTCHA!!!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don G.
Don't get down on yourself so hard, the only mistake you ever made as far as I'm concerned it leaving Texas.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com