THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Former SCI President Charged With Murdering Wife On Zambian Safari in 2016
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Former SCI President Charged With Murdering Wife On Zambian Safari in 2016
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdirks:
I have been a prosecutor for thirty years. As such, I have had to read thousands of published appellate court opinions, most resulting from appealed convictions. I don’t know what the success rate is on appeal but I feel very confident in saying that it is way less than 1%.
And since the most common basis for appeal or postconviction motions is a claim of ineffective assistance of trial counsel, it is also nearly universal that a different attorney handles the appeal than the trial attorney.

Indeed. Having an experienced second chair familiar with proper objections and the appellate process is key. The lead counsel is often too focused with tunnel vision with the task at hand.

Being that this is Federal, chances are the odds were well in the government’s favor prior to trial or even indictment.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the next year or so will be interesting as it relates to this.

1- The appeal will almost certainly take place. I can't to read his basis of appeal.

2- The various news shows say that Rudolph personally got the life insurance proceeds . Other places say it went to a trust for his kids. If the money went to him personally, I can't imagine that the life insurers won't try and get that back.

3- The 20/20 article made a reference to a law suit against SCI where he admitted to lying. I also believe he got a settlement. If what he lied about was the basis of the settlement, he might have a problem there as well.

I have a saying. If you wanna play you gotta pay. Seems appropriate here.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge William J. Martinez presided over the 14-day trial. Rudolph will be sentenced on February 1, 2023. Milliron will be sentenced on February 8, 2023.

Does anyone have any information regarding the sentencing? Searches have come up empty.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9363 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Milliron will be sentenced on February 8, 2023.
Does anyone have any information regarding the sentencing? Searches have come up empty.

Kathi, her sentencing is not on the Judges calendar for this week. Haven’t found anything on Mr. Rudolph’s sentencing.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems odd.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were not sentenced .

Rudolph is to be sentenced 5/31. Miliron’s sentencing is shortly thereafter. 6/2 I believe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://denvergazette.com/news...26-934f83c40aab.html

New trial denied for Pittsburgh dentist convicted of murdering wife on safari

Lawrence "Larry" Rudolph was convicted of shooting his wife Bianca Rudolph and claiming $4.8 million in life insurance
Carol McKinley carol.mckinley@gazette.com Apr 14, 2023 Updated Apr 14, 2023

Larry Rudolph went on safari with his wife, Bianca, 2-3 times a year. Among the trophies in his taxidermy collection are a white rhino, leopards, elephant tusks, a polar bear.

A Denver federal judge has denied a new trial for a dentist convicted of shooting and killing his wife while on a Zambian safari, thwarting what Lawrence "Larry" Rudolph's attorneys described as "newly discovered evidence."

U.S. District Judge William Martinez also denied Rudolph's long-time mistress, Lori Milliron, a new trial.

Rudolph, 68, was convicted on Aug. 1, 2022 on one count of the murder of a U.S. national in a foreign country and one count of mail fraud for cashing in more than $4.8 million in life insurance claims in connection to Bianca Rudolph's death in 2016.

Milliron was convicted in the same federal courtroom of being an accessory after the fact to the murder, obstruction of justice, and two counts of perjury before a grand jury.

In a motion, Rudolph's attorney, David Markus, claimed that a 6-year-old email chain between Bianca Rudolph and a former employee of Rudolph's multi-million dollar dental office would prove that the dentist did not kill his wife.

The employee, Cassandra Olmstead, testified about "soul-bearing conversations" she had with Mrs. Rudolph about their marriage. But Markus countered in his motion that the emails show that Olmstead was not truthful and that her statements about her conversations with Bianca Rudolph should not have been admitted at trial.

Martinez denied Markus claim, concluding that the newly surfaced emails "were merely impeaching."

The jury was tasked with deciding whether 57-year-old Bianca Rudolph was the victim of a horrible accident or if she was murdered by her husband during the early morning of Oct. 11, 2016 in a remote Zambian cabin by a river that he had built especially for her.

FBI agents spent months in south-central African interviewing witnesses who heard the shot that killed Bianca Rudolph.

The six-man, six-woman jury heard testimony from Zambians who had been flown in for the trial, including a British-trained coroner, guides from the camp where the couple stayed regularly, blood spatter experts and shooting incident reconstruction analysts.

One of the most critical pieces of evidence in the case was the gunshot wound, which hit Bianca Rudolph directly in her heart and killed her almost instantly. Coroner Daniel Maswahu testified that he could see injuries to her 7th, 8th and 9th ribs, which suggested that the bullet from the Browning shotgun entered her left chest area from a slightly angled position above her body.

Other tests determined that the gun was shot from about a meter away.

This ruled out the possibility of suicide and challenged the defense theory that Bianca Rudolph accidentally dropped the gun as she frantically packed to make it to the airport for the long flight to the United States.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I only wish Judge Parker was alive and on the bench in this case.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking Judge Roy Bean.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Is he lawyer?

Rudolph?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Is he lawyer?

Rudolph?

Dentist

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Is he lawyer?

Rudolph?

Dentist

Dentists, doctors, lawyers, bankers all the same.

Almost as bad as politicians! rotflmo

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you forgot soldiers, sailors, butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. coffee Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Mike: That's FUNNY! clap rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I guess the only people who are worth a shit are rich Arab oil sheikhs who inherited their wealth…Damn, I wish I was a member of the lucky sperm club. pissers

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I guess the only people who are worth a shit are rich Arab oil sheikhs who inherited their wealth…Damn, I wish I was a member of the lucky sperm club. pissers

I could say something very true, but very rude to whoever brought you into the is world!

One needs to have certain qualifications to be a member of the lucky sperm club.

And no American voter can ever qualify! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I was born to a female scab miner, single mother eating groundhogs.

Posts: 10832 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I could say something very true, but very rude to whoever brought you into the is world!

One needs to have certain qualifications to be a member of the lucky sperm club.

You mean they had to be Bedouins or Arab slave traders living somewhere in the Middle East?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You mean they had to be Bedouins or Arab slave traders living somewhere in the Middle East?

Something like that.

In additions, they have brains to make sure who rules them are on the straight and narrow.

Unlike you lot with over 330,000,000 and all you get is Biden, Trump, Kamala, Pelosi, Schumer and AOC!

Bloody hell, it truly makes the mind boggles! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unlike you lot with over 330,000,000 and all you get is Biden, Trump, Kamala, Pelosi, Schumer and AOC!

You left out Rashida Tlaib and Mrs. Petra Buttigieg. Big Grin

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
That is how Americans roll today. Land of giving everything for free and entitlement. Hired a guy to help me do some work around farm and he told me that he would not pick up trash because it was beneath him. No education with criminal record! All you have to do is go to any Walmart to see how classy Americans are today. I only go if there is no other option.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, what little cream might rise to the top is polluted by the overwhelming dross.

Not what our forebears imagined.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
His sentencing has been delayed to 6/21.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt.Purvis:
That is how Americans roll today. Land of giving everything for free and entitlement. Hired a guy to help me do some work around farm and he told me that he would not pick up trash because it was beneath him. No education with criminal record! All you have to do is go to any Walmart to see how classy Americans are today. I only go if there is no other option.

Hey, I’ve picked up tons of trash, literally, in my younger years and it is what has enabled me to hunt Africa. We owned a garbage company. Wink

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did he get sentenced yesterday?

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. His sentencing hearing was vacated and postponed indefinitely.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Last update

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://apnews.com/article/den...7d0ebe540865e687dd30

Dentist convicted of killing wife on African safari set to be sentenced to life in prison

BY COLLEEN SLEVIN

Updated 12:04 AM CDT, August 21, 2023

DENVER (AP) — A wealthy dentist convicted of killing his wife at the end of an African safari in Zambia is expected to be sentenced to life in prison Monday for a murder prosecutors say capped off a lifetime “spent seeking domination and control over others through wealth and power.”

At the hearing in a Denver federal court, U.S. government prosecutors will also seek to get an estimated $25 million in restitution, seized property and fines from Larry Rudolph. He was also found guilty in federal court last year for mail fraud for cashing in nearly $5 million in insurance policies for his wife, Bianca Rudolph.

Larry Rudolph has claimed throughout the case that his wife’s death in the southern African nation in 2016 was an accident. His lawyers plan to appeal the conviction.

Prosecutors say Rudolph, who owned a Pittsburgh-area dental franchise, shot his wife of 34 years in the heart with a shotgun on her last morning in Zambia, and then put the gun in its soft case to make it look like she had accidentally shot herself while packing. The couple had been hunting game during their trip.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I wonder how one shoots her self in the heart with a shotgun accidentally? rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Something like that.

In additions, they have brains to make sure who rules them are on the straight and narrow.

Bloody hell, it truly makes the mind boggles! jumping

Hell of a point Saeed.

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.justice.gov/usao-c...ring-his-wife-zambia

PRESS RELEASE

Lawrence Rudolph Sentenced to Life in Federal Prison for Murdering His Wife in Zambia
Monday, August 21, 2023

For Immediate Release

U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Colorado

Rudolph was also ordered to pay substantial financial penalties stemming from his conviction for defrauding insurance companies including $4,877,744 in restitution and a fine of $2,000,000

DENVER –The United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Colorado announces that Lawrence Rudolph, 68, formerly of Paradise Valley, Arizona, was sentenced to life in prison for murder. Rudolph will also serve a concurrent sentence of 20 years for defrauding multiple life insurance companies, pay $4,877,744.93 in restitution, a fine of $2,000,000, and a $200 special assessment. He was also ordered to forfeit assets obtained as a result of his crime. After a trial last summer, a jury convicted Rudolph of foreign murder and a mail fraud scheme that was perpetrated in Colorado and elsewhere.

Evidence presented at trial proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Lawrence Rudolph murdered his wife Bianca while the two were on a hunting trip in Zambia on October 11, 2016. Rudolph shot his wife through the heart with a 12-gauge shotgun that was enclosed in a soft-shell case on the last day of a scheduled hunt, scheming to make the murder look like an accident. Upon his return to the United States, Rudolph filed fraudulent claims on nine separate life insurance policies issued by seven different companies to obtain $4,877,744.93.

“This result shows that no matter how much money, prestige, or power you have, you will be held accountable for your crimes,” said U.S. Attorney Cole Finegan. “The fact that justice arrived today is no accident. It was part of a dedicated effort by public servants committed to the cause of justice. We are grateful to the attorneys, staff, and investigators who made today’s result possible.”

“The defendant in this case thought he could murder his wife overseas and get away with it. He was wrong and will now be held accountable for his actions thanks to the relentless pursuit of justice by the dedicated men and women of the FBI, DOJ, and the family of Bianca Rudolph, who never lost faith in the judicial system,” said FBI Denver Special Agent in Charge Mark Michalek.

United States Senior District Judge William J. Martinez presided over the sentencing. Rudolph’s co-defendant, Lori Milliron, was previously sentenced to 17 years in federal prison for her role as an accessory to the murder, for obstructing the investigation into Rudolph’s crime, and for committing perjury before a grand jury.

The investigation in this case was conducted by the FBI Denver Division. The prosecution is being handled by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Bryan Fields, Garreth Winstead, and Bishop Grewell. Forfeiture proceedings are being handled by Assistant U.S. Attorney Kurt Bohn.

Case Number: 22-cr-00012-WJM-1

Updated August 21, 2023

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
A very sad, but just end to a total nightmare.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
The girlfriend is charged with 17 years in prison for her role.

There is a very damning Rolling Stones article I wouldn't even paste here, slanted against hunters in every way. We all suffer from the flash burn!!

DISGUSTING!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I wasn't going to mention it, but there is another former SCI PRESIDENT who is or was in Frderal prison for some kind of Federal contracts scam!!
I worked with the guy when I was a Chapter President for 3 terms, mid-80s. I thought he was a great guy, and his wife was very involved pre-Sables.
HUMMMMMM!!??

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, wherever there is competition, there will be cheaters.

And the problem with cheaters is that there's no telling when or where their cheating will stop.

In this case, it didn't even stop at murder.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly, wherever there is competition, there will be cheaters.

You hit the nail on the head my friend!

From their own members of the board, to their award winners, to their competitors.

A sad bunch of individuals who bring nothing but shame on our sport!