Notify
Tools

What the heck?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22155538

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
"...Since 1992, OBC has flown in wealthy clients to shoot lions and leopards, angering nomadic Maasai cattle herders who are blocked from pastures in the hunting grounds..."

There is your answer Bill.

Wealth clients shooting leopards and lions.

The fact the Loliondo has been a hunting area for many years before that makes no difference.

And the fact that the Masai and lions cannot co-exist makes no difference.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67011 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the fact that the Masai and lions cannot co-exist makes no difference.

Interesting observation. Of course you run across cattle in the hunting areas in Masailand, but I was very surprised to see cattle right outside of Ngorongoro last year. Getting the cattle out of there is good for the game whoever is, or isn't, hunting the area.

Posts: 10036 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of the 1970s in India. For decades some Arab Sheiks used to visit Rajastan for falconry. They were very private and discrete - no publicity. Then the press got wind and made a big noise about wealthy Arabs supposedly hunting Great Indian bustard (a protected bird).

The moment it hit the press the entire group left the country in private jets and never returned.

There was never any evidence that game laws were being violated etc. Just media hype!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.theguardian.com/wor...ti-wildlife-corridor

Tanzania ditches plan to evict Masai for Serengeti 'wildlife corridor'

Activists claim victory as plan to annex 1,500 sq km bordering national park to benefit UAE-based luxury safari firm dropped

David Smith, Africa correspondent

theguardian.com, Monday 7 October 2013 11.38 EDT

Activists have claimed victory in a campaign to stop Tanzania evicting 40,000 Masai pastoralists from their ancestral land to make way for a big game hunting reserve for Dubai's royal family.

Government officials had planned to annex 1,500 sq km bordering the Serengeti national park for a "wildlife corridor" that would benefit a luxury hunting and safari company based in the United Arab Emirates.

But campaigners said ministers dropped the scheme after visiting the Masai, who complained that their livestock would be cut off from vital grazing pasture, as well as 18 months of co-ordinated protests that included a global petition signed by more than 1.7 million people.

Samwel Nangiria, co-ordinator of the local Ngonett civil society group, said Tanzanian prime minister Mizengo Pinda spent two and a half days with the Masai in Loliondo district late last month. "The Masai said we cannot lose this land at any cost – this land has been ours for centuries.

"The conclusion was that government has turned down the plan to evict tens of thousands of Masai. It's a big success story, not only for the Masai in Loliondo but also in Tanzania and east Africa."

The Masai will now try to renew their legal rights and end long-running disputes over the land with the assistance of the land minister, Nangiria added. He was not aware if alternative arrangements had been made for the Ortelo Business Corporation (OBC), a safari company set up by a UAE official close to the royal family.

"The OBC called last week and wanted a meeting with us," he said. "They are feeling very threatened, for sure."

Nangiria paid tribute to a "very sophisticated, high level" campaign that was mounted in defence of the Masai with the help of methods old and new. It included a protest march, pressuring international donors to Tanzania, and adverts in the East African newspaper that warned that the Masai would reconsider their support for the government at the ballot box.

The international effort was led by the online activism site Avaaz.org, whose Stop the Serengeti Sell-off petition attracted 1,775,320 signatures and led to targeted email and Twitter protests. It argued that the Masai would be robbed of their livelihoods if their land was used for the commercial hunting of prize game such as leopards and lions by UAE royals.

Sam Barratt, a spokesman for Avaaz, said: "It's been amazing. The government did all it could to stop this becoming a national story but I think the confidence of the Masai has grown and grown. We helped get it out internationally and it was tremendously successful."

He added: "This is a nomadic tribe thousands of years old that lives by ancient traditions, but modern technology unlocked their cause to the world."

The Tanzanian government did not respond to requests for comment on Monday.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9374 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
The Masai win again. They are undoubtedly the most politically astute tribe in sub-Saharan africa. Anybody who doubts them is simply not paying attention.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Money talks!!!

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Yes but game looses.
Just like anywhere else, cattle wins and for what? They are the most destructive creatures beside sheep and goats.
Look at western USA.
Ranchers have a lot of clout and those USFS and BLM leases in Fall make me sick. And all for few extra bucks.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
The Masai win again. They are undoubtedly the most politically astute tribe in sub-Saharan africa. Anybody who doubts them is simply not paying attention.

As well as being enemy #1 of the lion...poison or whatever it takes.

And they are not good stewards of wild-life or wild places in general.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36643 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca

Last year I also saw cattle and Maasai outside the crater and inside on the crater floor. I even have pictures of them. Maasailand is overrun with people and cattle. Glad I got to see it before it's gone. Did I mention every Maasai now seems to come equipped with a cell phone?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"This is a nomadic tribe thousands of years old that lives by ancient traditions,

Ancient traditions of cars and cell phones?????

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
That reminds me American Indians in the west.
All year long seasons, with high power rifle from back of the pick up truck .
" Tradition " tradition my ass
People just don't give a rats ass. It's all about " I want it all and I want it now "
Massai better get the drift. Sounds like have already ruined a lot of country.
Right, they need cattle to trade for wives, I forgot about that
Why it doesn't surprise me?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When malaria is cured by Bill Gates & Co, I imagine things will get better?