Find
Notify
Tools

Two fun pictures from Deka
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
After my sixth or seventh night and day of getting up at 3:45 a.m, driving out to a leopard blind, freezing my butt off, hunting other stuff all day (and sweating my butt off, then getting back to camp late for supper, understandably, I was a bit tired.

If one goes to a really wild area of Africa, they are often blessed to hear wonderful night sounds. I've heard hippos quarreling, elephants screaming about this or that, a bushbuck's bark and the King of the Jungle doing the MGM thing. But on the night referenced above, I thought nothing could awaken me. I was lights out about 2 seconds after hitting the bed.

I was wrong. Somethings get your attention.

About 2:00 a.m., I was snapped awake by the damdest and scariest noise I've hever heard. At first, I thought it inside my tent. I don't know anyway else to describe the sound, except one of terror. I sounded like a whole school bus of 9 year-old girls going off of a cliff... infinitely high pitched and infinitely loud. It happened twice, about 10 seconds apart.

I lay there and wondered what the hell I was going to do about the scream. Honestly, I rolled over, said "Karibou Africa", out loud and went back to sleep. I told you I was tired.

The next morning, returning for breakfast after a fruitless stay in the blind, I about crapped when I looked just 25 steps from the front of my tent, I saw blood and gore in the sand of the dry river.

I got Lou and after following tracks we found only a chewed-upon impala shoulder blade and lots of hyena tracks.

Yes, Karibou Africa, for sure.

And for the fans of Dr. Dolittle, I give you two Pushme-Pullyou giraffes.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Guess it was a bad night for the impala.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
This story just keeps getting better, more please.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cat? Yet?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
What a great taste of "wild" Africa.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
popcorn Keep them coming.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Luv it!!! Smiler

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess you haven't heard peacocks? Their screaming can be pretty bad.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
That is a great story and pictures. I remember being in Gokwe Zim one night sitting around the fire when a lion roared near my chalet. The PH warned me a be careful if I got up in the night to take a leak, and I laughed him off for a minute before I concluded he was deadly serious...I peed from the elevated porch that night.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Judge, off topic but I gotta know. Is this you judging a beauty contest? (top photo )

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that picture was on the net.

Below is me with the winner.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote