THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Trophy a documentary on African hunting.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy a documentary on African hunting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
I did not know if there was any discussion on this topic.

The documentary is now on Netflix. I do not know why the hunters and PH's let them film some of the hunts. The guy from Texas shooting the Crocodile was a little too much. Especially to get that on film. You would think people would be more reserve.
I also do not understand why the PH guided his hunter on such a small bull Elephant. Did he not know that it was going to be part of a major film? I do not blame the hunter because he did not know any better.
This film is one of many that will have a negative effect on hunting. I do agree with some of the science, especially in regards to the future of Rhinos.
My concern is that this film makes those of us that hunt Africa look like greedy millionaires with the no one left any buffalo for me attitude.
Your thoughts?

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Let us get to the main point.

Netflix would never have shown it if it was not going to reflect negatively on hunting.

As simple as that.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It is comments like yours as to WHY I have not watched the film.

Some on here claim that it seemed Fair and Balanced, if that were a fact why did they include the scenes of the Crocodile or the Elephant?

If hunters can find fault with segments of the video, just think how non-hunters, Not Anti's, but non-hunters will view such behaviors.

I doubt that there is any hunter that does not know or does not have non-hunting friends/aquaintances, people that don't hunt but have no problem with those that do and even are appreciative of gifts of fresh game meat.

I don't know how many, if any on here remember the "Guns Of Autumn" that I believe CBS aired a few decades back.

I watched it and it broke me of the habit of watching supposedly Fair and Unbiased MSM reporting on hunting.

Why have so many hunters stopped watching the hunting shows that are still around, because they all too often show behaviors that put huntyers in a bad light.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . a long discussion on this forum of the same subject.

Trophy

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where in the RULES does it state that there can only be one discussion on any particular topic?

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall,

I believe Mike is just trying to show the OP that there was already a discussion on the movie. He isn't trying to enforce any "rule".

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When someone holds a mirror up. The reflection is not the fault of the holder of the mirror.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Netflix would never have shown it if it was not going to reflect negatively on hunting.

As simple as that.

Not true. There are a few hunting shows on Netflix. And not made-up Alaskan mountain-man wannabes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that it is important to note that when the filmmakers, Shaul Schwarz and Christina Clusiau,started this project that they intended to do a hatchet job on hunting. However when they got to Africa and saw what the reality was they changed their minds. They realized that it wasn't so black and white. I give them credit for being intellectually honest about it.

Most of us here are appalled at the croc shooting scene. We should be; but to pretend that such people don't exist is being dishonest.

I have been corresponding with Chris Moore, the anti-poaching officer shown in the film. He is a straight shooter and became friends with Shaul and Christina. He tells me that they have lost friends and gotten a ton of hate mail from anti-hunters because they made the movie.

Chris told me "I was very fortunate to have spent time with them in and around the industry, I met their financial backers for this documentary. Both them and the backers courage to swim against the current on this one absolutely blows me away. They certainly would have made more money and friends kicking the hell out of hunters and hunting."

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe Mike is just trying to show the OP that there was already a discussion on the movie. He isn't trying to enforce any "rule".

I understand that, I was pointing out that there can be more than one discussion on any given topic.

I don't see where anyone did anything wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
I think that it is important to note that when the filmmakers, Shaul Schwarz and Christina Clusiau,started this project that they intended to do a hatchet job on hunting. However when they got to Africa and saw what the reality was they changed their minds. They realized that it wasn't so black and white. I give them credit for being intellectually honest about it.

Most of us here are appalled at the croc shooting scene. We should be; but to pretend that such people don't exist is being dishonest.

I have been corresponding with Chris Moore, the anti-poaching officer shown in the film. He is a straight shooter and became friends with Shaul and Christina. He tells me that they have lost friends and gotten a ton of hate mail from anti-hunters because they made the movie.

Chris told me "I was very fortunate to have spent time with them in and around the industry, I met their financial backers for this documentary. Both them and the backers courage to swim against the current on this one absolutely blows me away. They certainly would have made more money and friends kicking the hell out of hunters and hunting."

I agree.

While I am totally disgusted with both the operator and the client on the croc as many are, it is a sad reality. We need to be rid of those types.

There are definitely some positive things in the film.

It could have been better. It could have been worse. Personally, I would love to have 20 + minute interview shown on TV. That is far more telling.

The fact that they have pissed off some of the ARA whack jobs speaks volumes.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

As simple as that.

Not true. There are a few hunting shows on Netflix. And not made-up Alaskan mountain-man wannabes

What are they called?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the croc “hunt” and on the way the ele kill was handled, but if the film pisses everybody off, which it seems to have, it must be reasonably balanced.
Since it showed some real idiot hunting, though, I wish they had shown some PETA type looking and sounding like a fool as well.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

As simple as that.

What are they called?

Meateater
The Hunt

Randy Newbergs Fresh Tracks in on amazon prime streaming

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
I agree on the croc “hunt” and on the way the ele kill was handled, but if the film pisses everybody off, which it seems to have, it must be reasonably balanced.
Since it showed some real idiot hunting, though, I wish they had shown some PETA type looking and sounding like a fool as well.

I think they did. The film showed these foaming at the mouth idiots giving John Hume hell over the rhinos. The very same rhinos that he spent $50 million of his own money preserving. They would likely all be dead if were not for him. Yet, they continued to foam at the mouth. They looked like the f*%king morons they are.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:

I think they did. The film showed these foaming at the mouth idiots giving John Hume hell over the rhinos. The very same rhinos that he spent $50 million of his own money preserving. They would likely all be dead if were not for him. Yet, they continued to foam at the mouth. They looked like the f*%king morons they are.

Agreed the segment where the antis are giving John Hume shit for saving African rhinos is very telling. However the croc scene can not be undone or over powered by anything else. The elephant scene was almost as bad.

That POS shooting the croc..... He is the reason that people hate hunters and why Texans get a bad rap too. What a worthless, clueless, ignorant, trailer park millionaire, low rent, jack ass.

The film makers could not have picked two better examples to portray hunting in a worse light. BTW what kind of mental midget would have allowed themselves to be filmed for that movie anyway?

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Those damn Texans... everyone hates us until its time to take our money!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very true. I had the pleasure of meeting Shaul and Christina when they were in Zimbabwe, and we all went to lunch with Chris Moore.

I've said before and I'll repeat it now, that this film was about as balanced as possible within the time constraints and for such a complex subject. I think it's a pity more folks in the industry didn't support it a little more.

The fact that the ARAs tried to get CNN not to broadcast it says volumes. Fortunately CNN didn't buy the rights to lose money on a bunch of activists.

If you haven't watched it based on other people's comments, definitely watch it.

quote:

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Those damn Texans... everyone hates us until its time to take our money!

You’re incorrect, in the case of people like the croctard, they still hate them, but they take their money anyway.

posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to watch the movie in full but I have seen the interview and it seems that it has been successful in showing the world that hunting isn't as black and white as the non/anti hunters would like to think. At the end of the day, we all want the same thing and we need to work together for the common goal. Unfortunately, there is too much to loose for some organisations.

Emotions cloud facts.

Kudos to Philip for putting his face and name in the public domain.

Justin Cawood
ARC Safaris
www.arcsafaris.com
hunt@arcsafaris.com

Posts: 14 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 09 June 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This movie to me definitely tries to show that hunting in Africa is not black and white how activists would want you to think.

I’ve watched with my parents and again with my wife. All are hunters but my wife does not like hunting of cats or elephants. Just her preference. But I really want to hunt ele as a Canadian it’s a great deal since we can import still.

And you know what after watching with her and wanted to see how she felt. The elephant hunt saddened her deeply but she honestly changed her opinion on the taking of elephants. She saw how the small offtake of them is beneficial vs all the poaching that goes on. I’ve tried to tell her and show her stats before but she always thought I was being one sided. This main stream media swayed her somewhat.

She now sees it’s not black and white. It’s somewhere in the middle and I’ve always wanted to hunt ele so I feel I have a good chance of her accepting that now, thanks to the show.

She was disgusted by the croc hunt and that hunter. As am I. Disgraceful.

Posts: 135 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

I agree.

While I am totally disgusted with both the operator and the client on the croc as many are, it is a sad reality. We need to be rid of those types.

There are definitely some positive things in the film.

It could have been better. It could have been worse. Personally, I would love to have 20 + minute interview shown on TV. That is far more telling.

The fact that they have pissed off some of the ARA whack jobs speaks volumes.

+1

I still can`t get over the croc guy. I cringe when he calls himself a hunter!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote