Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions: Blaser R8
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By all means....keep on shooting R93´s Smiler

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simple question requiring a simple answer. Are you saying that the above photographs of failed R-93 bolts are 100% caused by reloader error?

And if so do you have definitive proof?

Tygersman,

By your lack of coherent reply can we assume that you are unable to provide any factual evidence as to the why and how of these failures?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Simple question requiring a simple answer. Are you saying that the above photographs of failed R-93 bolts are 100% caused by reloader error?

And if so do you have definitive proof?

Tygersman,

By your lack of coherent reply can we assume that you are unable to provide any factual evidence as to the why and how of these failures?

Just for the record, you would like me to opine on photographs, which neither you nor I nor anyone we know can authenticate? Shall I assemble random internet photographs of non-Blaser kabooms and post them for you to explain?

Isn't that exactly what I was chastising you about? You don't know anything other than you were uncomfortable operating the bolt. That's a perfectly valid reason for selecting another rifle, but it's hardly a design defect.

By your lack of coherent reply can we assume that you are unable to provide any factual evidence or any personal knowledge of the why and how of any purported failures?

Since you've made the allegations, you have the burden of proof.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh...

You were chastising me,that's what it was, I thought you were simply rationalizing your uniformed and poor choice of sporting rifles.
And once again please feel free to shoot anything you like. Just like I will. BTW why aren't you using the vaunted holy trinity of rifles, St Blaser, on your DG hunts?

Seems like a fan boy like yourself should show a bit more confidence in his unimpeachable product of choice?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a little late to the party, but, geez, everyone. Really?

I took a Blaser to Africa for large, non-dangerous game. Everything I shot with it is dead and in transit (somewhere)!. I practiced with it when I got it to make sure I was familiar with it and wouldn't short stroke the pull-push action. I don't even remember cocking it all the times I've used it on game - I must have, though!

I have other rifles in my safe, too. So what? You don't like them, so be it. You do like them, fine. It is not religion - or politics.

In the USA, gun rights are under attack. On the world stage, our hunting rights are threatened. I'm glad for everyone involved in the sport, whatever they shoot.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icebug:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

If that is a picture of a woman that gives you wood, I don't blame you for finding Blaser rifles ugly Whistling

My thoughts were:

If this is the sort of woman you find attrecative, no wonder you don't believe anything said against Blaser rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh...

You were chastising me,that's what it was, I thought you were simply rationalizing your uniformed and poor choice of sporting rifles.
And once again please feel free to shoot anything you like. Just like I will. BTW why aren't you using the vaunted holy trinity of rifles, St Blaser, on your DG hunts?

Seems like a fan boy like yourself should show a bit more confidence in his unimpeachable product of choice?

Surefire: we've probably passed the point of showing our asses and embarrassing ourselves, so let me be the first to apologize if I've offended.

To answer your last question, I had a R93 Safari 375, which I simply found to be too heavy for caliber. It was a great shooter, and I probably should have kept it. Too many toys and not enough to time.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

So many rifles, of many different designs and makes, have blown up.

The Blaser just seems to be more likely to do that than any rifle I know of.

Why are we getting our knickers in the twist on something we have absolutely no control over?

You like the Blaser?

Great, enjoy using it, and keep in mind what has been said about it to make sure you don't end up with anccident.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tygersman:
quote:
quote:
No one is telling you what to believe. You're entitled to believe the sky is green if you so desire.

Not touching a Blaser ever = no experience at all. You're right, I discount commentary from the truly uninformed. But they're still entitled to hold these "beliefs" based on Internet hearsay and what Uncle Eddie's first cousin's, grass cutter's nanny overheard at the Dollar General.

If a documented, potentially fatal design defect is simply succumbing to the incredible stupidity of people, then every knife on the market has a documented potentially fatal design design defect. Better make that every gun too.

I don't even have a Blaser anymore, but I am most amused at the idea that Blaser's are ticking time bombs or that it's such a chore to close the bolt adequately.

I don't need to shoot one to hold the personal opinion that they are ugly. No amount of performance is going to change that for me. If you like them, have at it. You're not going to change my opinion of their looks and once a gun is determined to be accurate, functional, and reliable (obviously the most important aspect), appearance then enters the equation for me. Tell you what, if you want me to hunt and shoot with a gun that I think is ugly, you buy it for me with your money. I'll stick it in the safe for awhile, then put it in the classifieds! Deal?

Todd: Since you readily admit that your objection is to the Blasers' appearance, my comments weren't intended for you, but instead for the closet conspiracy theorists.

And while I won't be buying you any guns, I might buy you a beer at DSC, maybe even with my money.

Sounds like a plan buddy and I'll return the favor. Looking forward to it!!

Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icebug:
quote:

If that is a picture of a woman that gives you wood, I don't blame you for finding Blaser rifles ugly Whistling

Hmmm ... Something tells me you might have missed the point of that post! animal

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Oh...

Surefire: we've probably passed the point of showing our asses and embarrassing ourselves, so let me be the first to apologize if I've offended.

To answer your last question, I had a R93 Safari 375, which I simply found to be too heavy for caliber. It was a great shooter, and I probably should have kept it. Too many toys and not enough to time.

A response showing quite a bit of class, if I may say so! beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd

Have you ever shot a Blaser R 93???

I see you are in North Texas, I am In East Texas. When the weather gets good, I will make you an offer. You can come to my range, and you can shoot a Blaser R 93 in 308, 300 Win Mag, and 375 H&H. You will shoot only factory ammo, and if the rifle "blows up" I will have enough duck tape to patch you up, I was a Pre Med student, once upon a time... Big Grin...

If you survive the trip to the range, shocker we can have BBQ at the house, drink Whisky, or whatever, and have a great time... tu2
Then you can give your comments on the Blaser, after shooting one...

You can bring whatever rifles you want, and you and I will shoot them as well...
A good time will be had by all...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd

I offer this as a nonconfrontational fun event for both of us.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Todd

Have you ever shot a Blaser R 93???

I see you are in North Texas, I am In East Texas. When the weather gets good, I will make you an offer. You can come to my range, and you can shoot a Blaser R 93 in 308, 300 Win Mag, and 375 H&H. You will shoot only factory ammo, and if the rifle "blows up" I will have enough duck tape to patch you up, I was a Pre Med student, once upon a time... Big Grin...

If you survive the trip to the range, shocker we can have BBQ at the house, drink Whisky, or whatever, and have a great time... tu2
Then you can give your comments on the Blaser, after shooting one...

You can bring whatever rifles you want, and you and I will shoot them as well...
A good time will be had by all...

Tony,

We went down this road before. I'm from East Texas myself. Grew up in Center. I go back every once in awhile to visit my parents who still live there.

I'll be glad to meet up and shoot with you. But I'm not the one with the Blaser blow up issues. Prior to this thread, I had no idea they were known for blowing up. I simply don't like the way the Blaser looks. Point being, why would I buy an accurate but ugly gun when I can buy an accurate and nice looking gun with classic lines? I like an open grip, more slender stock, no flared pistol grip, no schnabel fore-end, with the scope mounted low. More classic lines such as a Rigby. Fact is, I just purchased an original Rigby in 275, made sometime pre WWII I think. Just a taste preference really.

But yeah, next time I'm down that way, I'll give you a heads up and bring some rifles. We can shoot guns, shoot the bull, and drink some whiskey!! Sounds like a plan to me.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd

I offer this as a nonconfrontational fun event for both of us.

Understood. I didn't think otherwise!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shall I assemble random internet photographs of non-Blaser kabooms and post them for you to explain?

Please do. You'll find tons of them.

And if you check carefully, you'll find out that the vast majority of these mishaps resulted in no injury, or light injury to the shooter's hand and/or forearm. A number of the accidents resulted in serious injury to the hand or arm.

I have not been able to find one single record of a Mauser type bolt blowing back into the shooters face, notwithstanding the fact that Mauser type bolts have been manufactured for more than 100 years, in tens of millions. And if that happened (of course it's possible), I guarantee you that it was due to improper metallurgy/manufacturing, not design.

The technical explanation I gave earlier has nothing to do with love for Blaser or lack thereof, it's just a technical opinion about a system's failure mode.

This failure mode was not foreseen by the designer.

It IS a flawed design. There are NO redundant safety features in that bolt design, AND there is an unintended failure mode.

Anybody with a grasp of basic engineering principles will understand the point above.

Now, if you have a technical opinion to the contrary, please explain, I'll gladly be enlightened.

If the only arguments that can be put forth in defense of this design are to the tune of "I shot one zillion animals with mine and they are all dead and my rifle never blew up", sorry, this doesn't cut it...

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So you are from the town of Center in Shelby county???

Keep me posted, when you head this way and have a few free days let me know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
rifles, St Blaser, on your DG hunts?

Tygersman,
I agree lets cover our asses, no need for apologies. And lets do have a drink and share some hunting stories should we ever meet!!

BTW one thing we do have in common is the .404 a lovely all around DG cartridge if I may say so myself.

beer

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My only complaint is that the naysayers haven't managed to stem the high demand for Blasers and lower their prices! Mad Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW one thing we do have in common is the .404 a lovely all around DG cartridge if I may say so myself

For the 21st century, the great 404 has been re-born as the 375/404.

The best big and dangerous game cartridge I have ever shot tu2

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daghaboy:
In September 2012 my client was hunting buffalo with a Blaser R8 Safari in calibre 0.458Lott at Omay Zimbabwe. He got a buffalo with a one shot kill. The rifle worked perfectly and he was very satisfied.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
BTW one thing we do have in common is the .404 a lovely all around DG cartridge if I may say so myself

For the 21st century, the great 404 has been re-born as the 375/404.

The best big and dangerous game cartridge I have ever shot tu2

Saeed,

You do seem to have some great success with that round!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser M03 solves all these Blaser anxieties.........

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLG:
Mauser M03 solves all these Blaser anxieties Big Grin .........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser M03 solves all the Blaser anxieties Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
DoublePost....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about all the posts above I gents - I am coming to grips with my new Ipad Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Flinch?? :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
coffee
quote:
Walters problems were shooter error.

quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
ANY gun can blow up with a malfunction or shooter error. Here is a link to a test in which rifles were shot with an occluded barrel. Notice how the R 93 did not blow up in the shooter's face.

Rifle Burst Test

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

We had a German gunsmith visiting us a couple of years back, and he said he know of at least a couple fo dozen occasions of the Blaser R93 blowing up.

I have no way of knowing how true that is.

But, I have my own theory about what might happen, from seeing people shooting their Blasers here.

I see some people who tend to just push the bolt forward slightly, and let it close by itself. We have had misfires sometimes when this is done, and, frankly, that got me scared.

So I always ask whoever is shooting a Blaser here to make sure that they push the bolt forward.

This, of course, is no fault of the rifle, but is an operator error.

Trouble is, it is very easy to do, and I am not really sure might happen when a sensetive primer hit when the bolt is not fully closed.

Though the Blaser is not my cup of tea, first and foremost I dislike any bolt rifle that uses a push feed action! That being said, I’m sure the push/pull bolt is probably about the fastest bolt rifle in the world to get off shot after shot very quickly with the rifle at the shoulder.

The fact is any rifle that will be used on any type of dangerous game or for hunting in country where dangerous game may be encountered, should be as simple to operate as it can be designed. The first thing in that design would be a CRF action if a bolt is the action.
It seems any rifle that is so touchy that it must be worked PERFECTLY every time or it fails to fire or blows open, is not my idea of a well designed tool for hunting of dangerous game by mere humans! When high numbers of misfires and other problems are encountered because of improper handling tells me the system is far too accidental malfunction prone, and I want nothing to do with a design of that type! The fact that I consider the Blaser bolt rifle to be extremely FUGLY could be over looked if it worked better, but unfortunately they are malfunction prone and FUGLY as well!

..................................................................All only my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it, but is there if you care to think about what that opinion is saying!

.................Hold your fire till I get my foxhole dug! BOOM..................
diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 Mac37....FUGLY is the Word.....or perhaps we should say it out loud and call Blaser a teutonic abomination.. jumping

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sequester, global warming, killer bees, killer astroids from space, and now I need to worry that my Blaser will blow up. How will I cope? Big Grin

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The miracle of pharmaceuticals! :-)

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The miracle of pharmaceuticals! :-)

I was thinking scotch

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote