New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-Hunt shooting school...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell I have been trying to find 300 rounds of 270 Barnes TSX our of the same lot to load up for the games. I do not own any 308's and don't intend buying any. I am going to try to load up the wifes 300 rounds of 300 H&H before weeks end and hope that Grafs or Midway can come up with 400 rounds of TSX. Hell I keep thinking, in an 8 hour day can you shoot 300 rounds of belted magnum out of the same rifle and not kill the barrel?? Not much time between shots to keep them cool.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you're a hell of lot more immune to recoil than most shooters, 300 rounds of normal .375 ammo in one day will do a helluva lot more harm to your shooting and possibly your anatomy than you're going to learn. You must be from Oklahoma! Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazing how these threads just seem to be pi$$in contests with a new label each time. It do get old.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lb404
I recently taught a 9 person group for 3 days shooting 375H&H rifles. No shots were fired off the bench. We averaged around a hundred rounds a day. I regularly train a group of people with 45/70's, 375 H&H's, and 458 Win Mags.
Take it from me 300 rounds of full power 300 H&H for your wife and 300 rounds of 375 H&H in one day will not be plesant.
Does the instructor know you are planning on shooting 300 rounds per day of Magnum rifles?
Be sure to check your stock/action screws, as on some rifles they seem to loosen up with a lot of fast shooting.
Might better take a couple of spare scopes too.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

.... Take it from me 300 rounds of full power 300 H&H for your wife and 300 rounds of 375 H&H in one day will not be plesant. .......

Hells bells, no way I would be shooting 300 rounds of .375 in a day. Sounds like a great way to develop a serious flinch and fear of your rifle.

Myself around twenty plus is enough.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are preaching to the choir. No anesthesiologist can afford 300 rounds each of 300 and 375 H&H ammo to burn at a school. After all we are government workers. They don't say how much we can charge only how much we can collect!!!!! As far as the 300 rounds each, it was his instruction not mine that we would shoot that much, not mine I assure you. He said that we would be wearing some kind of a shooting coat and that we would not feel the recoil. I don't know about that. I am hoping that this isn't a pig in a poke. I was thinking of showing up with a couple of Kimber 84's in .223 and then buying 500 rounds of factory ammo to shoot through the rifles. How does that sound? I still wonder if you can shoot 600 rounds through two rifles in 8 hours and not hurt the barrels. I have heard of varmint hunters doing 500 rounds in a days shooting but I am not sure that it is through one or two guns. What do you guys think?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lb404
That sounds like a good idea. you can learn and practice with the 223's, then fire the 375 just enough to refine your technique with the big gun.
Call Duhon and talk to him.

I would take my cleaning equipment and punch my 223 bbls out every 100 to 200 rounds, and do the same with the Magnums every 60 rounds or so.
Each night really clean them good.
I would also be sure I kept the bolt lugs greased up.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote