Find
Notify
Tools

Croc bullet choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chez
posted
I am hoping to have a chance at a Croc on my 2012 safari. I will have my 300 Wby and 416 Wby on the hunt. If I get a chance a Croc I am planning to use my 300 Wby. It is my go-to gun here in Canada and I am very comfortable with it. My question is what bullet choice would be best? I normally shoot 168gr tTSX's out of it but I am thinking of going to something that expands a bit quicker and does a bit more damage immediately after impact. Perhaps a Nosler Partition or Accubond. I appreaciate your input.

Posts: 53 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 21 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good day Chez.
We do a lot of Croc hunting and I would not change the ammo that you use if I was you. If you shoot the rifle well - MOA or sub-MOA then I shall stick with it.
A Croc does not need a big gun. Bullet placement is of the utpost importance with a Croc. I shot most of the ones we culled with a .243Win and a 90gr Barnes X. They die instantly if you hit them where you have to.
Do not worry about the head at all. Just worry about accuracy.
Regards

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have shot two very large crocs myself and seen many of our clients do the same with the Hornady DGX. I am becoming a fan of the neck shot over time on croc, and this bullet has really been lethal for us. Whatever bullet you choose, stay away from solids regardless of what you hear, softs are a far better choice on these great trophies.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chez,

Like Fritz I think I would stick with what works. If you make a brain shot on the croc a more frangible bullet will make a huge mess of the skull. Also if you are presented that side on shot trying for the spine at the back of the smile the TSX will give you good penetration.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Rabe:
. I shot most of the ones we culled with a .243Win and a 90gr Barnes X. Regards

what load do you use Fritz i still have a full box ek sukkel met die klein bliksempies?

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chez everything stated so far is good advice. I want to add a practice tip. Practice shooting golf balls. Put them on the ground at your range and practice shooting them. Your croc shot will be at downward angle. So this is to help you simulate and visualize the croc shot best as possible.

You'll know if you hit it dead-on, because the golf ball will take a flight. If you hit it real good, you shouldn't find the golf ball because you'll smack it into kingdom come. Yell FOUR! Don't concentrate on trying to watch the golf ball's reaction to the bullet. You'll pull your head off the gun stock and alter the trajectory. Just focus on killing the golf ball. If you can kill the golf ball, with your .300 you can kill the croc.

If you only nick the golf ball and can still see it laying there, reload quickly and shoot it again. Whether you hit the croc or not, the PH will order you to shoot him again. This is the best way to prepare for that situation. Like Fulson said DO NOT USE A SOLID WHATSOEVER.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
TSX worked for me.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Moja:
Chez everything stated so far is good advice. I want to add a practice tip. Practice shooting golf balls. Put them on the ground at your range and practice shooting them. Your croc shot will be at downward angle. So this is to help you simulate and visualize the croc shot best as possible.

You'll know if you hit it dead-on, because the golf ball will take a flight. If you hit it real good, you shouldn't find the golf ball because you'll smack it into kingdom come. Yell FOUR! Don't concentrate on trying to watch the golf ball's reaction to the bullet. You'll pull your head off the gun stock and alter the trajectory. Just focus on killing the golf ball. If you can kill the golf ball, with your .300 you can kill the croc.

If you only nick the golf ball and can still see it laying there, reload quickly and shoot it again. Whether you hit the croc or not, the PH will order you to shoot him again. This is the best way to prepare for that situation. Like Fulson said DO NOT USE A SOLID WHATSOEVER.

Please listen to this advice. It is the one animal that we really struggle to track and follow-up when wounded.
For some reason my trackers do not want to follow a wounded croc. I don't know why they can't hold their breath for long.

Fritz Rabe

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Rabe:
. I shot most of the ones we culled with a .243Win and a 90gr Barnes X. Regards

what load do you use Fritz i still have a full box ek sukkel met die klein bliksempies?

Hi .375 fanatic.
I use CCI 200 primers and 33,5gr S365 for 3100fps. COL = 62,6mm
Groete

Fritz Rabe

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
If it aint broke . . .

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Go with whatever bullet gives you the best accuracy -- solid or expanding.

I've only shot two Crocs, but both were brain shots and bullet choice seems pretty moot for that purpose -- as long as the gun likes the bullet, use it.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Your go to gun sounds about right. Shooting a croc is more like being a sniper one very accurate shot.

Mike
Skin and skull attached 16ft. croc

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at a croc skull with a TSX hole in the brain cavity. You absolutely are on the right track. Shoot the brain then promptly put one or two into the body as assurance.
Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 338 win mag with 225gr trophy bonded bear claw. Shot him in the spine and followed up with an extra shot for insurance. Tail slapping but no forward movement. My friend used same caliber but with 225gr TSX bullets and it performed just as well.

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes TSX bullets are very good croc medicine. They will not blow up on impact as some do and they penetrate somewhat the way a solid would. Best of both Worlds if you ask me, actually three Worlds, accurate, good expansion (petals) great penetration. What's not to like about that?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Crocs are not very difficult to kill, if you hit the head.

Their skulls are very brittle, and almost any decet hit will break it and kill him.

If you see any movement after the shot, put another one in the neck.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68649 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, crocs are easy to kill ... If you hit them right, like anything else

But there is a couple of people out there , that did not listen to the advice (of their PH's), and those crocs are GONE

3 Shots on a croc,No 1- neck,No 2- shoulder, No 3-tail then the bastard is not going anywhere.

Use TSX, or Swift A frames, I have seen 416 not go through a croc body shot

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
A 420 BBW#13 NonCon did a pretty decent job on this one, it was 35 yds, 458 B&M at 2250 fps. This is an entry from the top of the head as he raised up for a elephant leg snack. HEH HEH...... Not a big one by any stretch, 12 ft not an inch more, or less. He did not go anywhere afterwards LOL.......

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chez
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for all the feedback. I am happy to hear so many good reviews on the TSX for use on Crocs. Bwana Moja's golf ball shooting practice sounds alot more fun than golf.

Posts: 53 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 21 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Chez sent u a pm....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I had some one tell me after the head shot to put one thru hips to break legs.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kwan:
I have seen 416 not go through a croc body shot

I shot mine with a 416 . . . of the three shots, two SAFs to the neck did not exit.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot mine with a .300 Wby and 180 grain Partition. Right behind the head in the spine.It did not exit. My PH said softpoints never exit. I shot it a second time. About 10 minutes later it opened and closed its mouth and the PH said to heart-lung it. these things don't know when they're dead.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
16ft. croc

quote:
16ft. croc

quote:
16ft. croc

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT "

Mike,

look at the hole! did you use an 8 inch anti aircraft gun on that croc?

dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote