Notify
Tools

Lions to be put down in RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted
Game reserve lions face death after funds for food dry up

Officials at SanWild sanctuary in South Africa warn animals could be put down if money to feed them cannot be raised

* David Smith in Johannesburg
* guardian.co.uk, Monday 8 March 2010 12.28 GMT

Sixteen lions on a South African game reserve are facing death because of a shortage of funds to feed them, it emerged today.

The SanWild sanctuary, in Limpopo province, has issued an urgent appeal for donations to save the three prides of 14 adults and two cubs.

Officials have warned that if the sanctuary cannot meet the 45,000 rand (£4,000) monthly cost of meat to keep the lions healthy it will be forced to have them put down them ‑ possibly as soon as next month.

"The situation on the ground for our lions is dire and, unless we can urgently find sponsorship, the lions will have to be put down," Louise Joubert, founder trustee of SanWild, said. "We find ourselves in a difficult situation. We can't allow them to start starving. We would rather euthanise them than let them end up as a trophy on some hunter's wall."

The eight males and eight females have lived at the sanctuary, near Tzaneen, since 2003 and 2004 after being rescued from the canned hunting industry in which animals are usually bred in captivity to be hunted in a confined space.

Each pride now lives in a six-hectare (15-acre) enclosure. Each animal requires 4-5kg of meat per day and would be unable to fend for itself in the wild. All the males have been sterilised to prevent breeding.

"They are stunning lions," Joubert said. "But last year, due the worldwide recession, we really battled to get funding for them. We've managed to keep them going until the end of March, but we're really desperate to get people to adopt the lions or provide sponsorship on a monthly basis. Small donations do make a difference."

She said SanWild was bringing a court case against the South African government next week over what it claims are broken promises of financial support.

The South African courts are reviewing rules that could effectively ban the canned hunting industry, which kills an estimated 1,000 lions per year.

However, such a move would raise the prospect of thousands of lions being put down because they cannot be released into the wild and there are insufficient resources to protect them in parks or reserves.

Yolan Friedmann, chief executive of the Endangered Wildlife Trust in South Africa, who supports the ban, said: "This is the question on everyone's minds. Three to four thousand lions would need to be put in a free range reserve, but here we are struggling with 16."

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so they would rather kill all of them than to sell one to someone who would put it on the wall.
I am totally against can lion hunting but the is an great example of how stupid the tree huggers are.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
so they would rather kill all of them than to sell one to someone who would put it on the wall.
I am totally against can lion hunting but the is an great example of how stupid the tree huggers are.

Sadly, it is not just the tree huggers who are causing this.

This is what worries me. Once they have eliminated the sop called "canned" lions, they will start on everything that is hunted in South Africa. Because by extension, all farmed animals hunted inside a fence will fall under the same category.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Where is all that HSUS and PETA money? They have such deep pockets, why don't they let Hollywood chowder heads adapt them all. They could have pool parties for them and invite all their frilly friends to serve them roast Ass of Fool and peel grapes for 'em.
Roll Eyes

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, L David. Why not ask where are all the hunters, safari operators etc.? Why don't they step in? After all, they could "put them on a wall".
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if they aren't to fussy eaters i would suggest pelosi burger, reid steaks and grilled obama

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if they aren't to fussy eaters i would suggest pelosi burger, reid steaks and grilled obama

yuck

But then they would have to sit around licking their butt to get that awful politician taste out of their mouths.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another yuck

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was the natural and inevitable economic consequence of the "canned hunting" ban. There could have been no other outcome.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting, L David. Why not ask where are all the hunters, safari operators etc.? Why don't they step in? After all, they could "put them on a wall".
Peter.

Peter, While it appears you read the article, since you "quoted" it, you obviously did not comprehend it. She stated that the lions would be euthanized before they were "hunted". If these "huggers" are so inclined, then send them the bill for keeping these animals up. Otherwise, allow an outfitter to buy a couple to be hunted in order to finance the rest. Let's see, kill 2 and save 14.... OR kill them all with a lethal injection? Wow, what a decision to have to make. Seems these nuts are too smart for the good of their own lions. This thought process never ceases to amaze me. I don't condone the "canned" hunts, done in tiny enclosures with drugged animals, but if it's a large ranch with a fully alert animal fully capable of defending himself, so be it. It beats putting down all 16 of the poor bastards because these boneheads didn't have enough forethought to ensure this wouldn't be an issue.

Damn the bunnyhuggers!!!!

Sorry for the rant. I can't tolerate utter stupidity.

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
It was the natural and inevitable economic consequence of the "canned hunting" ban. There could have been no other outcome.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

As far as I know canned hunting hasn't yet been banned but, IMHO, it ought to be.

There should be no question of these lions being put down as we are constantly being told that wild populations are declining. The reason African game is under threat is often that local politicians are giving land/allowing encroachment in return for political support and favors.

I totally support the idea that African national governments should look after their own natural resources but the evidence proves that they cannot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason African game is under threat is often that local politicians are giving land/allowing encroachment in return for political support and favors.

I totally support the idea that African national governments should look after their own natural resources but the evidence proves that they cannot.[/QUOTE]

clap

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FWIW, there has been a court case rumbling on for some considerable time.

The Govt didn't try to ban canned hunting as such but sought to make a law that stipulated that lions should be self sustaining for something like 2 years before they were hunted. This (IMO) was a mistake because they can't police the roads out here let alone police how long a damn lion or lions have been self sustaining in an area with a set minimum size. Roll Eyes

I personally think they should have simply banned all lion breeding and hunting in the entire country.... but my opinion ain't gonna change anything the Govt thinks.

A few months ago, the case went to the SA high court and the lion breeders lost and were refused leave to appeal. So everyone thought that was an end to the matter but in recent weeks, the papers are reporting that the lion breeders have somehow now got leave from some bugger to re-appeal yet again. Roll Eyes

Also FWIW, it should be noted that the article claims that the lions were rescued from the canned hunting industry and the shelter is not part of the industry..... whether that's true or not, I have no idea but I'd never trust a news reporter to recognise the truth, let alone write it!

Ah well, no-one ever told me Africa was logical! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
As far as I know canned hunting hasn't yet been banned but, IMHO, it ought to be.

There should be no question of these lions being put down as we are constantly being told that wild populations are declining. The reason African game is under threat is often that local politicians are giving land/allowing encroachment in return for political support and favors.

I totally support the idea that African national governments should look after their own natural resources but the evidence proves that they cannot.

You reject private, self-funded programs that preserve the species. In concept you reject any form of raising live stock for consumption, because that's what game ranching is: raising livestock for consumption.

You suggest government funded programs in countries with bankrupt governments, where **people** are in real need. I'm not talking about the Hillary Clinton "poor" here, I'm talking about selling your kids into prostitution suffering.

Your comments are thoughtless and naive.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:

Sadly, it is not just the tree huggers who are causing this.

This is what worries me. Once they have eliminated the sop called "canned" lions, they will start on everything that is hunted in South Africa. Because by extension, all farmed animals hunted inside a fence will fall under the same category.

The whole sorry saga of canned lion hunting was brought before the then Minister {van Schalkwyk} with the idea of banning canned lion hunts. At this stage in time, the lion saga drags on but as a chocolate cookie for the bunny huggers, the TOPS Regulations {threatened or endangered species} was introduced. The animals thus listed now require a sheaf of paper {permits} to own, hunt, stuff and keep on your wall {in SA.] In the instance of the black-wildebeest, a number of landowners {farmers are well known for their dislike of pens and paper} said "No no!" "This is not for us!" The end result was that the black-wildebeest, a conservation miracle, from near extinction to large numbers, was wiped out on a number of game farms and sold to the meat trade. One must be very careful when dealing with the SA Government. They like to currie favour with all the wankers of the world and come up with all manner of horse-wallop to impress them. I must advise "Don't scratch where it don't itch." Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:

You reject private, self-funded programs that preserve the species. In concept you reject any form of raising live stock for consumption, because that's what game ranching is: raising livestock for consumption.

You suggest government funded programs in countries with bankrupt governments, where **people** are in real need. I'm not talking about the Hillary Clinton "poor" here, I'm talking about selling your kids into prostitution suffering.

Your comments are thoughtless and naive.

I respect your opinion that I am thoughtless and naive.

My opinion is that canned "hunting" is an utter disgrace and a weak link in our armour. If we don't clean up our act then the tree huggers will do it for us. They will take such unjustifiable behavior and use it to turn the voting public at large against us. Once that happens the political class will not hesitate to legislate.

We should throw out caged executions in an effort to preserve the core of our sport.

One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
quote:

My opinion is that canned "hunting" is an utter disgrace and a weak link in our armour. If we don't clean up our act then the tree huggers will do it for us. They will take such unjustifiable behavior and use it to turn the voting public at large against us. Once that happens the political class will not hesitate to legislate.

We should throw out caged executions in an effort to preserve the core of our sport.

Talk about opening up a can of worms! Whats the definition of canned? What is the definition of unjustifiable behavior? What armor and how does one preserve ones sport?

The bottom line is that Anti's by the very meaning of the term are against it all! The have declared that seeing eye dogs are sequal to human slaves, they protest at Kentucky Fried Chicken HQ deeming it a greatere tradigey that the holocost! The picket horse races, circuses, condem dairy farming and their leaders have declared human kind the scourge of the earth.

You can not pacify these people and politically in the long run you only win by demanding more than you are willing to give!

If being meek and apologetic, throwing the outlandish or targeted to the wolves and embrassing compromise was a winning scheme then women would still not have the right to vote and apartide would still be in place.

sorry a little cranky tonight!

Br;
Mike O

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madabula:
quote:

Talk about opening up a can of worms! Whats the definition of canned? What is the definition of unjustifiable behavior? What armor and how does one preserve ones sport?

The bottom line is that Anti's by the very meaning of the term are against it all! The have declared that seeing eye dogs are sequal to human slaves, they protest at Kentucky Fried Chicken HQ deeming it a greatere tradigey that the holocost! The picket horse races, circuses, condem dairy farming and their leaders have declared human kind the scourge of the earth.

You can not pacify these people and politically in the long run you only win by demanding more than you are willing to give!

If being meek and apologetic, throwing the outlandish or targeted to the wolves and embrassing compromise was a winning scheme then women would still not have the right to vote and apartide would still be in place.

sorry a little cranky tonight!

Br;
Mike O

I agree with you, Mike. There's not much we can do about the lunatic fringe who won't be happy until we're all eating rocks.

However, those types belong to a tiny minority to whom the populace as a whole pay little attention. What worries me is when the nut jobs are handed a cause to which the voters actually do pay attention like the Antis in the UK did with my beloved Fox Hunting. Their stated aim is to go for the whole lot; hunting, shooting, stalking right through to fishing. Fox Hunting was sacrificed even though shooting reared game birds is much less defensible.

I would hate to see the same thing repeated whereby people who would ban all our hunting get a helping hand from us along that road by something stupid that we could clean up ourselves.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Well said Mike, there is no compromise with the lunatic fringe. They want it all! They want us slave's to the Master, and the Master is huge! Anyone that doesn't know who is behind the HSUS is either not paying attention or living in a remote area (nothing wrong with that my friends). They have millions pouring in every year, all from the sobbing populous that falls for for a sad eyed puppy ad like a Bobcat to a scent post trap...a sucker every time! Unsportsmanlike like conduct should be halted and shunned by our own community. But we must tread lightly on what we condemn, with a thorough understanding of what it is we're rebuking. Be careful what you wish for....and the anti's wish for ALL hunting, fishing, pet ownership, meat-milk-cheese-egg eating to cease forever. Shall we feed them Soylent Green? I think not...Soylent Red maybe.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote