THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African Plains Game/ North American Big Game caliber
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Plains Game/ North American Big Game caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of these answers assume you are talking bolt rifle. In a double, the 9.3x74R is the ideal choice for PG/N. America/Once in a while DG ctg. The rifles are not too heavy (some are pretty light), at 8-10 lbs. Adequate power yet mild to shoot. You can buy a new one for $2-5K. Ammo available from several makers, not horrendously expensive. Plenty of good bullets available if you reload. Breaks down to travel. You can get a set of shotgun bbls for most of them. And far more interesting than a factory bolt rifle.

The only negative is the lack of a factory solid...so if you plan to shoot elephant, you will have to load your own solids.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a .300 Wthby on plains game (zebra, kudu, gemsbok, etc) last year and it worked outstanding. Shots out to 400 yards on the zebra and they never went more than 10 yards. I've also used it in the US on elk with the same results. A lot of people don't like the Weatherby's but from my experience if you shoot straight, the animals really don't like them very much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.300WSM

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Norway I use the German 8*68S for my moose-hunting. I think it will do everything you ask, I never found it lacking. The bullets I've used has been the 220 Woodleigh an the 200 Swift.

The American answers is of course the .325 WSM

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JerseyJoe:
took my .300 WM in June and had no issues with 8 animals.. 180gr bullet..

That would be my choice.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of these answers assume you are talking bolt rifle. In a double, the 9.3x74R is the ideal choice for PG/N.

Yes, and most of these answers assume that he wants the capability of shooting at and hitting something more than 100 yards away. He would be as well off with a shotgun shooting slugs as a double rifle with its two barrels pointing in various and sundry directions. I'm sorry, but as finely made and appealing as they are, a double rifle is a very specialized short range gun that has no place when pursuing fleet-of-foot smaller animals which may need to be taken at several hundred yards.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another vote for the venerable .375 H&H magnum-one caliber to hunt the World.

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 win. mag. in a fine single shot rifle. I've done it twice on PG and don't have any complaints.

I also like Nosler partitions but there are lots of good bullets that will do.

j

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Yes, and most of these answers assume that he wants the capability of shooting at and hitting something more than 100 yards away. He would be as well off with a shotgun shooting slugs as a double rifle with its two barrels pointing in various and sundry directions. I'm sorry, but as finely made and appealing as they are, a double rifle is a very specialized short range gun that has no place when pursuing fleet-of-foot smaller animals which may need to be taken at several hundred yards.

......... jumping jumping jumping yuck

Hey Tony what do you think of the above post?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.270 would be the proper choice and concentrate primarily on shot placement. Don't rely on knockdown power to make up for poor shot placement. A .270 can stop cold a common eland and anything smaller in Africa.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote