THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African Plains Game/ North American Big Game caliber
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Plains Game/ North American Big Game caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im planning on hunting in south africa for plains game in 2011. Im wanting everyones opinion on what caliber to get. .300 Win, .338 Win, 30-378 Wby, 300 Wby, 340 Wby. Also one that i can use here in the states for big game. Thanks BC

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and start with the .375 HH. That way when you decide to take some dangerous game in Africa you will already be set.
Load it up and down for everything you want.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BC, I would go with either the 338 or the 340. Both will get the job done well no matter where you go. Load either one with a 225gr Swift A-frame or Barnes TSX and you will be most happy with the results.

I have a PG hunt in Namibia in the near future and will be taking my .338 loaded with A-frames.

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What game are you planning on hunting and at what ranges will you be shooting?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
For typical PG and pretty much all N Am game, the .300 Win is hard to beat. You can shoot 150 gr bullets at deer sized game, 180's for elk, kudu, gemsbok, etc, and 200gr premiums for really big stuff like moose, griz, etc. Ballistics are great, no recoil issues, ammo is fairly cheap and readily available. Just my opinion...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 338.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
took my .300 WM in June and had no issues with 8 animals.. 180gr bullet..

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
If I take your question purely at face value, the answer that I would give is a 338.

That said, if there is even the smallest chance that you'll want to consider taking any of the DG species in Africa, the right answer is the 375 H&H.

I would never, ever go to Africa without a 375 H&H, but that's just me.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
And here I thought I was going to be out in left field. My choice, and what I've taken, was a .338. My second choice would have been my .375H&H or (drum roll please) my .395 Max!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get the 375 H&H. It will kill anything here in the USA or in Africa. I think there are several really good reasons for picking the 375,,,,,first,,, it just screams take me to Africa, 2nd, you can walk into just about any sporting goods store in Africa or camp and find ammo, that is real important when your ammo travels in a different bag than your gun and can easily get pilfered or lost, third, great choice off loads for the 375. I may be a little bit on the side of "use enough gun" because I like to take my 416 rigby,, The 338 and 300 are great on plains game but when one of the big nasties pops up in the bush, and it does happen, it is nice to have enough gun.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Of the choices you list my first choice would be the 338 Win Mag, or the 340 Wby Mag, but not in a Wby rifle No pushfeed rifles!

My choice for myself would be the old 375 H&H in a CRF action rifle, with quality irons sights, and a 2-7X40mm scope in QD rings, and bases! The ammo is easy to find in any country in the world where big game hunting is allowed. The 375 H&H will work for anything from Tit Mouse to Teranasaurus Rex, and is legal for dangerous game in all of Africa. I hunt all big game with a 375 H&H Whitworth African express when useing a bolt rifle. You can't ask for a better Caribou, moose,elk or bear rifle that a good bolt action CRF 375 H&H!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.300win or .338 win from that list you provided

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Everyone has an opinion. And here is mine for what it is worth. Since this is a plains game rifle I would choose one of the .300's. Personally I shoot a .300 Weatherby but a Winnie is perfectly acceptable. It is big enough for eland (though not perfect) and small and flat shooting enough for springbok in the Kalahari (but not perfect). Hell Elgin Gates even killed cape buff with it (but illegal in most African countries today). Very practical and versatile. Just my 2 cents worth.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brennan,

My personal choice would be the 338 but all the calibers you listed are fine with the exception of the 30-378 which tends to be a big, heavy and in my opinion an unwieldy rifle with huge recoil.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forget the .375 H&H -- it is much more than is desirable for plains game (I own two of them, so I'm clearly not opposed to the caliber). If you ever get a chance to go for DG you'll want to buy a DG rifle. When that time comes, if it does, you may want something other than a .375.

Either a .300 or .338 Magnum makes more sense. I used a .338 for my plains game hunt, but only because it shot better than the .300 Magnum I had intended to use. My hunting companions used a .300 Win and a .30-06 and both guns performed as well as my .338 on plains game as large as kudu and moutain zebra. A .30 or .338 is much better for your North American hunting.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
You just can't do any better than a 300 Weatherby I think. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the 35 Whelen. While not included in the list it will work on all plains game.

I like the bigger holes it makes when compared with 30 cal and the rifle weight and recoil are negligible when compared to the larger/faster calibers. Cannons aren't needed for plains game.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You already have some very good suggestions but let me add another. The .338 RUM is a very fine cartridge for African plans game and would cetainly be adequate for leopard and lion.(though illegal) I believe that you will appreciate the additional range without holdover that you get versus the .375 which would be my second choice. At distance on large antelope I can tell the difference between the .338 and a .300. With a .338 or .375 you can't go wrong.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are planning to shoot long distances a plain old 3006 will do just fine.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
375 H&H, you won't have any problem getting ammon in Africa

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a .338wm. in Africa for plains game. Loaded with 250 gr. Nosler partitions. I know 10 animals doesn't make me an expert, but the 338 did a bang up job for me.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much shooting have you done? I'd start with a 270 or 3006 if you haven't done a whole lot of shooting. 338s and 375s are not what I would call beginners guns.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of those you listed to choose from I would pick the .340 Wby. If you have ever shot a .300 Winny or .338 you can handle it with practice. I have hunted with one for years, using it for many Bull Elk and an Alaska Yukon Moose. ----- When I went to the Selous for Buffalo and plains game, I took a .358 STA for all but the Buff and would do the same again. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.338 WM all the way!

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Brennnan, good opinions here and as usual, vary widely. Since your a Texan, your probably hunting Deer mostly, but Texas has everything from Jack Rabbits to Cape Buffalo, even Rhino. You may be an Elk/Bear hunter, but unless your going to hunt Brown Bear and if ever you add Dangerous African game to your wish list, I'd get any one of the .300 calibers. Although I'm partial to the .300 RUM, I use a .280 mostly in Africa and it will handle any plains game and all of our big game in the lower 48 with no problem. Getting a .300 will take up a lot of slack on longer shots, but it won't make up for bad shots. If your thinking of Brown Bear or African DG, get the .375 H&H. Ammo is common here and there. You can load up and down the scale, and it's a realistic 200 yard rifle. A little tough on our game for the most part, but unless you want to buy specific rifles for specific hunts/game, one or the other will do well. It boils down with what your comfortable with. The .270 has killed Elk and plains game for maybe a half a century, but I find a little light for some of Africa's thick, elastic skinned PG.
Good hunting,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
If you have a deer rifle in .270 or up that you are familiar with and shoot well, you don't need a new rifle for a PG hunt in RSA. Most African hunters I know shoot a .300WM for PG.

I have used the .300WM exclusively in NA, NZ and nine sub-Saharan African countries since 1974. I have many Elk, the NZ slam and over 50 species of African PG from Duiker to Eland taken with the .300WM, most using the 180 gr. Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partion.

Whatever you decide upon, the key to a successful safari is to practice, practice and then practice some more with the rifle and cartridge you will use in Africa.

Best of luck.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
338wm or 375 h+h would be my choice.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thinking back, for my first African PG hunt, I shouldn't have bought a new rifle. If you're not taking an Eland, and most don't on their first trip (RSA or Namibia, I assume), just bring a rifle in the 30-06, 300 Win, even 308 or 270 class. Use tough bullets and you'll be fine. By the time you've gotten your first taste of Africa, you'll be planning additional hunts where you WILL need a new rifle, and your knowledge and preferences will have changed by then. Good luck, just concentrate on the hunt and the experience. ..Biebs

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Of the options you listed, I'd choose the .300 Win Mag. But if this were my first RSA hunt, I would take a .30-06 or (my favorite) a 7 mm Remington Magnum.

If an eland isn't on your list, it would possible to collect a specimen of every antelope in South Africa with heavy-for-caliber, good-quality bullets in a .243 without a problem.

Proper bullets placed well are more important than caliber. Most first-timers take too much gun for Africa's antelope, and too few can shoot the .338 or larger calibers well.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
You just can't do any better than a 300 Weatherby I think. jorge

I think this is pretty sound advise.

It was also mentioned that Elgin Gates used his .300 Wby for Cape Buffalo. He also used it for Elephant.

I would feel confortable hunting ALL North American big game and ALL African plains game with my .300 Wby. Now if I can just find a sponsor... Big Grin

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.338 RCM

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brennanc9093:
Im planning on hunting in south africa for plains game in 2011. Im wanting everyones opinion on what caliber to get. .300 Win, .338 Win, 30-378 Wby, 300 Wby, 340 Wby. Also one that i can use here in the states for big game. Thanks BC

For plains game, I would pick the 300 Winchester magnum from the list you have given.

The 300 RUM is better still.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66984 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice has been the 338wm and it has served me well. The 300 win will do too. For dangerous game I use a 416 rem and find it very adequate for the toughies. I have nothing against the 375's (I own and shoot three of them)but for what you described as your hunting plans there are better choices.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Another vote for 338.
make that another .338 vote

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 winny for me.

Drive some TSX bullets real hard and watch things go down.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
.325 WSM or the .338 WM for an all around plains game rifle in Africa and for big game here in the U.S. The 300 WSM or the .300 WM would also be good choices.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
Get the 375 H&H. It will kill anything here in the USA or in Africa. I think there are several really good reasons for picking the 375,,,,,first,,, it just screams take me to Africa, 2nd, you can walk into just about any sporting goods store in Africa or camp and find ammo, that is real important when your ammo travels in a different bag than your gun and can easily get pilfered or lost, third, great choice off loads for the 375.

This is exactly why I bought a .375 H&H for Africa.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
When I was looking for a new rifle for that exact reason, I bought a 300 WM.

When I got the dangerous game bug, I got a 375H&H (and a 404 Jeff)

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree the 375 H&H is wonderful caliber and do it all and it is classic. I do own one. Everyone has come with all various new calibers plus the .338. By new I mean in the last 30 to 40 years. But, a rifle I love and with every chance I get to hunt with, is the 300 H&H. You won't find cartidge that feeds better. It is without question my mind one of the smoothest feeding cardriges around. With modern powders you can do it all without the recoil of some of the new magnums. There is nothing in N. America you cannot kill with it. With the exception of few animals there is nothing it cannot take in Africa or for that fact anywhere in the world. In has some places it has been long forgotten but should not be. You have all these short magnums, ultra magnums and list goes on. The 300 H&H is a good long range rifle and yet it is fine for short range shots. You can hunt elk, antelope, sheep, goat, whitetail deer and so on in North America. For Africa it is more then capable of taking any plains game available. Like most of you I have battery of rifles and sometimes I wonder why. The 300 H&H was my dad's first big game rifle. Then he bought the 300 winchester when it came out. It was all about hype manufactures and gun writers were professing. He could not stand the snap like recoil. So, he put a muzzle break on it. The 300 H&H has more of push to it's recoil while most modern magnums have snap to their recoil. Good luck in your decision. What ever you choose make sure it is right for you.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote