THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Opinions on the future of elephant hunting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on the future of elephant hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Due to the recent closures on elephant hunting in Botswana
and the current incessant poaching in Zimbabwe and other similar
situations occurring in Mozambique and Zambia, I was interested in
hearing from people with knowledgable perspectives on the future of elephant
Hunting
At this point I am at a crossroads to make a decision on whether or not to go this year after a Bull
Not quite the right timing financially so I would appreciate input from those of you with a thorough understanding or opinion of what is going to happen in the next several years

Thanks

Rory

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it, go now. It will only get more expensive as more countries follow suit and either shut down or raise trophy fees!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Doubt it will get cheaper. I understand your feeling. I felt the time crunch on hunting Lion and made that happen in 2012 even though it was far more money than I ever dreamed of spending on a hunt.

Any regrets?

NO!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CMSafaris.com

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
CMSafaris.com

February 2015 Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
I get asked this question often by clients and hunting friends,
Elephant hunting prices have sky rocketed on the back of the temp closures in Zambia and Botswana
I emphasize the temp side of this , I remain optimistic that hunting will return to Botswana for elephant.
There is even a very loose rumor that elephant hunting in some form or another could happen in Botswana this year or early next year.
I think that any elephant hunting in the meantime will be at all time premium rates, so I would hold back for after the madness , after a brief closure one can expect the hunting to be even better. For this reason I strongly recommend hunters get onto waiting lists with your preferred Botswana and Zambian outfitters in the meantime.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Personally……….. I would go when I could afford it as opposed to when it is most convenient. Africa changes quickly and one really never knows where things are going to be at in a couple of years.

Too many variables and too much politics to be sure of anything.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an opinion from an outside observer here, but, and I am not up to date on the situation with lions, I believe if lion hunting gets shut down, that between the anti hunting forces and the general instability of African governments, outlawing elephant hunting will be the next battle.

As has been pointed out in other discussions, the anti's do not care if they have to get hunting stopped one species at a time. Lions and elephants stir some of if not the most intense emotions in humans and their feelings about those animals.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Lion is no farther gone than ele. We have not lost the battle there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Lane,

Did I miss USF&W's decision on a listing? I don't recall seeing anything.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Lane,

Did I miss USF&W's decision on a listing? I don't recall seeing anything.

No...just saying we have not lost the battle.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/c...ion_force.cfm?id=305

Paragraph 2 of the below bulletin could have a huge impact on U.S. citizens hunting elephant.

Unintended Consequences May Arise from Presidential Executive Order to Combat Wildlife Trafficking
Written By John J. Jackson III, Conservation Force Chairman & President
(posted December 2013)

On July 1, 2013, President Oba-ma issued an Executive Order to combat wildlife trafficking (www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/07/01/executive-order-combating-wildlife-trafficking). Its stated objective is to control international wildlife poaching and trafficking. To implement the Order, the President created two bodies, a Presidential Task Force on Wildlife Trafficking and an Advisory Council that will work together to implement an effective National Strategy on Wildlife Trafficking (www.fws.gov/international/pdf/filed-charter-2013-advisory-council-wildlife-trafficking.pdf). While this was a welcomed action that should afford greater wildlife protection from unlawful taking and trade, we expect the action to cause a litany of headaches for governments that need and rely upon sustainable use of their wildlife resources and for the hunting community nationally and internationally. Already, too many recommendations are overreaching and require close scrutiny and participation.

On October 7, 2013, a strange mix of organizations sent Recommendations to the Presidential Task Force on Wildlife Trafficking. The objective of those recommendations is “to prevent poaching, disrupt trafficking and to curtail demand.” The very first recommendation, 1.a, is alarming. It is not aimed at poaching. It is aimed at lawful hunting and legitimate hunters. It calls for a 10-year or longer moratorium on legal trade of both rhino horn and ivory!

1. Reduce Demand for Illicit Wildlife Products a) Establish and implement a domestic moratorium on the import, export and sale of ivory and rhino horn products (including pre-Convention and antique specimens) in the United States. As a priority objective, a US moratorium would serve to: (1) reduce demand for rhino horn and ivory, (2) reduce illicit trafficking in rhino horn and ivory by removing parallel legal and illegal markets and the resulting opportunities for laundering of illegal wildlife products and (3) provide an example that encourages other countries to take similar legal and regulatory measures….Other important consideration under a moratorium are how to best address hunting trophies and the problem of “lookalike,” which allow traffickers to claim that illegal products (such as African and Asian elephant ivory that resembles mammoth ivory) are legal or regulated. We recommend that trophy imports be limited by criteria designed by the Administration to most effectively promote the conservation of elephant species, while sales of ivory from trophy tusks, whether current held in the US or imported in the future, be included in the ivory sale moratorium. We further recommend that regulatory measures are established to address the “lookalike” problem. (Emphasis added)

Other subparts of that very first recommendation call for the USFWS to “(b) Publicly destroy government seized elephant ivory,” and that “(c) the US Department of Education to integrate wildlife trade issues in school programs, by means comparable to drug education programs” and “undertake an intelligence assessment in the US and abroad of (1) the challenges posed by parallel markets for legal and illicit wildlife products….”

The mix of organizations submitting the recommendations is alarming in itself. While submitted “jointly,” the recommendations “do not in all cases reflect consensus opinions.” The list of “contributing” organizations includes Born Free USA, Defenders of Wildlife, Environmental Investigative Agency, Humane Society International, Humane Society of the United States, International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), et al. as well as the less onerous World Wildlife Fund (WWF, who is said to have hosted the meeting for the letter of recommendations), Wildlife Conservation Society, The Nature Conservancy, TRAFFIC, African Wildlife Foundation, Association of Zoos and Aquariums, et al. No hunting organization is listed as being invited or “contributing.” We wonder if this “joint” letter was fully authorized by TRAFFIC, WWF, et al. We find the mixture of organizations strange in light of the tone of the first listed recommendation. Nevertheless, the emergency listing of the southern white rhino as “threatened” on July 11th as a “lookalike” is concerning. We have sent a Freedom of Information Act request to USFWS to obtain the correspondence between Law Enforcement and the listing office that was said in the published listing notice to be the cause of the action but with little explanation. We have no evidence at this time that there has indeed been a problem for Law Enforcement. Second, we filed comments opposing the listing without more detailed reasons for the lookalike classification and suggested adopting a Special Rule to dispense with or at least issuing a statement that enhancement findings will not be necessary for import of southern white rhino from Namibia and Zimbabwe (on Appendix I). Enhancement findings are notorious for adding expenses and delay or being a complete barrier to import permitting. The Federal Register Notice of the emergency listing does not address the enhancement finding issues for those rhino on Appendix I of CITES (Namibia and Zimbabwe) at all. USFWS has since informally told us that they will not require enhancement findings because the white rhino’s listing is based solely upon being a lookalike. The southern white rhino has a robust population that is still at record numbers at this time. Lookalike listings still cause us concern. What will be listed next?

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope SBB is right on, that other recently-closed countries will re-consider their lost $$ and re-open for elephant. From all sources eles appear to be in good numbers ( in certain areas), not endangered overall, and like any other animal in competition with human habitation, and as an an overall renewable & sustainable resource, their numbers indeed need to be managed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even if there was no poaching (yah right), elephant as well as lion and many others are on the inevitable slide to less and less hunting. The reason is as simple as it is unstoppable. It's human population growth. Unless something "controls" human population, the trend is consistently more and more, so the future of hunting is limited. Go now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:
Elephant hunting prices have sky rocketed on the back of the temp closures in Zambia and Botswana
I emphasize the temp side of this , I remain optimistic that hunting will return to Botswana for elephant.
There is even a very loose rumor that elephant hunting in some form or another could happen in Botswana this year or early next year.
I think that any elephant hunting in the meantime will be at all time premium rates, so I would hold back for after the madness , after a brief closure one can expect the hunting to be even better. For this reason I strongly recommend hunters get onto waiting lists with your preferred Botswana and Zambian outfitters in the meantime.

+ 1

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
Even if there was no poaching (yah right), elephant as well as lion and many others are on the inevitable slide to less and less hunting. The reason is as simple as it is unstoppable. It's human population growth. Unless something "controls" human population, the trend is consistently more and more, so the future of hunting is limited. Go now.

Sadly, although your post will be viewed by many as negative and defeatist, it is accurate. Eventually, the very nature of the two beasts will confine them to government and privately owned parks and reserves, as the growing population takes over everything else. It is simply the way it is and radical changes in both thinking and policy on a global basis would need to occur to change the course.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:

Sadly, although your post will be viewed by many as negative and defeatist, it is accurate. Eventually, the very nature of the two beasts will confine them to government and privately owned parks and reserves, as the growing population takes over everything else. It is simply the way it is and radical changes in both thinking and policy on a global basis would need to occur to change the course.

Yep...sad but true. We were all just born 50 years too late. Sad to view the world with wall to wall people. But...where we are headed.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:

I sort of wonder about that. In my experience it is always easier for the government to stop doing something controversial than it is to start doing something controversial. For Botswana, from a public perception standpoint, stopping elephant hunting is a lay up. On the other hand, to start up elephant hunting again will result in huge uproar (just look at the reaction to culling in Kruger). I am not arguing that the public policy rationale for shutting down the hunting is sound, nor am I suggesting that there are not good public policy reasons for starting it up again. I am just offering my view of the reality that getting politicians to do something is tougher than getting them to do nothing, hence, my concern that perhaps a restart may be a bit overly optimistic. Hope I am wrong.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
In my experience it is always easier for the government to stop doing something controversial than it is to start doing something controversial.

Conversely, and I realize it's not exactly the same, it wasn't too long ago that Namibia closed cat hunting...and opened it back up a year or two later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And another "simliar yet different" area, closed and now re-opened to hunting : the Save in Zim. Yes, the additional "rules" suck, but there are now eles back on quota, and hopefully even more in the future as the whole thing gets sorted out

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Eventually, the very nature of the two beasts will confine them to government and privately owned parks and reserves, as the growing population takes over everything else.

For the most part, this is how it already is. Most elephants are already in parks or reserves, though the reserves may be called or were until recently called "concessions."

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote