Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
quote:
At least in our 375 testing mono metal bullets like the Barnes X and our own Walterhogs.

They seem to have maximum penetration at 2800-2900 fps.

Below that speed and above, the seem to penetrate less.

I've experienced great performance down to 2,000fps. They still penetrate well slower than that but expansion is compromised. At super high velocity, expansion is rapid and violent.

My post was regarding maximum penetration.

We went to over 3100 fps, and the penetration was not as good.

Yes, you will definitely see less penetration at very high velocities but that's pretty well true of any premium expanding bullet. But the damage done from the rapid and violent expansion is extensive. I guess the point with penetration is that once it comes out the other side.....any additional penetration really doesn't matter.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Of the three chamberings listed my choice would be the .308 as well. However as many have already said a better choice would be the 7mm-08 with a quality expanding bullet. The draw back with the 7mm-308 is ammo is not always available just anyplace, in case your ammo is lost in transit. In that respect the 308 Win (308 NATO) is available in most of Africa, and many other countries. Some of those do not allow civilians to posses 308NATO rifles or ammo, Mexico is one such place, because it is the military ammo of that country.

I think the poll has it right with the very common 308 Win for a woman! In my case I want my light rifle to be able to legally take on what every pops out of the bush, so my choice would be none of those three! for myself it would be the 375H&H and for my wife it would be a 7mm-08.

................................................................. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the 308 as well:
-Ammo available anywhere
-More factory loadings than any other caliber
-Only 14-15 lbs of recoil in an average wt rifle
-Use 130-200gr bullets to cover wide range of game
-Inherently accurate, if their is such a thing
-Short action allows smaller rifle build

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Why so many 7-08 suggestions?

The .308 will slightly out perform it from 150 on up.....so why?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
It is a great women's cartridge...especially for those a bit recoil intolerant.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:

Funny

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

8 year old boy's dad bought him a 308 & it kicked him hard enough on their 1st outing with it that he ended up crying & refusing to shoot anymore.
I loaned him a Browning micro hunter in 7mm08 loaded with Hornady lite magnum ammo.(pretty hot stuff)
He shot it quite well & killed a nice 10pt buck using it.
Recoil defiantly matters to some.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Good question.

The answer is - think 7X57 rather than 7mm08.

Apart from opinions and personal experiences, I think there is anecdotal evidence that some calibers do have an "X" factor - (sectional density???). For example - Take the 6.5 cal with 160 RN bullets. At a steady 2200 fps in the various Mannlichers or 2400 fps in the 6.5X55 Swed, that bullet has accounted for large numbers of game such as moose, polar bear, lion & elephant. Out to 200 meters, those are fine PG cartridges / bullets for recoil sensitive shooters.

The same goes for the 7X57 & its historical record on African game. The 7mm08 gives you exactly the same performance if you choose the right bullets.

30 cal cartridges are relatively new in Africa. Apart from US hunters, the locals did not start using the 30'06 in large numbers until after WW2. The 308 came around even later.

In reality - the animals will not know the difference. The shooter might.

quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Why so many 7-08 suggestions?

The .308 will slightly out perform it from 150 on up.....so why?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
.308 Win 165 Barnes TTSX AA-2230.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I'd go with the .308 with 165 gr A-Frames.

Sounds good to me.

Bullet placement is more important than power.

As a woman hunter, I've experimented with the calibers you've listed and the caliber I settled on and used for many years for plains game/deer, antelope, elk is my "trusty" .308!!!! I shoot a .375 for the really big stuff!

Hope your wife is out there shooting her own .308 soon!

Best regards, D. Nelson

What "D" said. She knows her stuff and shoots extremely well. Any lady that kills dangerous game with her leg in a cast is tough!!!

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife (5' nothin' and ~105lbs) loves her 300WM. She has a Blaser R93 she love (heavy enough to swallow the recoil).
Shot dear + plains game with it.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Funny how the 708 and 308 rule the suggestions for a lady's rifle but the 300 WM gets the testosterone vote in a man thread

Funny

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orvar:
Shot dear + plains game with it.

Hope your still alive!!! Smiler

My wife loves her 308,I bought her a savage lady hunter, loves it!!!!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote