posted
All thing being equal for the rifle and optics with Accubonds

Question:
What cartridge for my wife?

Choices:
.308 Win
30-06 Springfield
.300 Win Mag

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How well does your wife handle recoil?

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the .308 with 165 gr A-Frames.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:

Sounds good to me.

Bullet placement is more important than power.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:

Sounds good to me.

Bullet placement is more important than power.

As a woman hunter, I've experimented with the calibers you've listed and the caliber I settled on and used for many years for plains game/deer, antelope, elk is my "trusty" .308!!!! I shoot a .375 for the really big stuff!

Hope your wife is out there shooting her own .308 soon!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Ted,

The .308 would be great as would just about any cartridge in that range, 30-06, 270, 7 by 57 etc etc.

Rifle fit is probably more important, and in case you have not noticed women are built a little differently than men.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:

Rifle fit is probably more important, and in case you have not noticed women are built a little differently than men.

Her rifles are cut for her lop

Funny.....

My wife is built a bit different than most women

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'd vote for the 7mm-08 with 120 gr Barnes TTSX bullets. But, you didn't give me that option, so I'm not voting!!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be more specific, get her a Tikka T3 in .308 and use Federal Trophy Bonded in 165s or 180s.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
30-06 makes a fine plains game rifle....Vanessa has taken hers on two safaris. She shoots 165-grain GMX and has taken everything from kudu and gemsbok to jackals. She took the 7RM on the last trip and it worked admirably too.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
I'd vote for the 7mm-08 with 120 gr Barnes TTSX bullets. But, you didn't give me that option, so I'm not voting!!!!

She has a Kimber 84M in 7-08

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

There ya go! You're set!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Mrs Blacktailer has a Kimber Super America in 308. She has taken animals up to zebra. She used 165TSX. The nice thing about 308 caliber is the selection of bullets. Started her off with a mild load with 110gr HP and worked up slowly with powder and bullet weight.
The 308 will handle just about anything.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use a plains game cartridge for a wife, I've always considered them Dangerous Game.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I wouldn't use a plains game cartridge for a wife, I've always considered them Dangerous Game.
tu2

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:

My wife really liked this response. rotflmo

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:

My wife really liked this response. rotflmo

Then she also has a great sense of humor! tu2

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

I think as others have said that your wife is all set with her 7-08. It essentially offers the same ballistics as the 7x57 and we all know how much African game has fallen to that old war horse. I think the 300 WM would certainly be a bigger hammer but at a cost of significant increase in recoil.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wife used Browning BLR 7/08 in Namibia with 140 grn. bullets and it worked like a champ.
Lots of dead deer in Texas every year due to 7/08.
Lots of critters in Africa that are no tougher than the average Whitetail / Mule deer in the USA.
But then there is the traditional 7x57 that is mild to shoot

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yes - a Tikka in .308. That's what my son used in 2011 (it's my rifle). Took Kudu and Blue Wildebeest at 250 yards.

Any of the tough premium bullets will work: A-Frame, TBC, TSX.

I used a 8x57 in the same hunt with 200 gr bullets at 2,300 fps in a 20" barrel. Steel buttplate. Little recoil. Walloped the animals I took.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 7-08 or 7x57 with 175grn Barnes TSX would be about perfect, low recoil and high sectional density (.310), punches well above it's weight.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
A 175 Monometal out of a 7-08

I'll pass

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I don't get the fascination with heavyweight mono metals. Speed is their friend!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
That's my thoughts also

Without adequate speed they are a solid

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

I think Faisal's point might be that to get maximum penetration from a relatively mild cartridge such as the 7-08 you might need a heavy bullet. On your next hunt the cover might be thicker and your shots presented at odd angles. Personally if that 60" kudu presented a going away shot I would not take it with your '06 and 150 ACB combo but I might with a 7-08 and a heavy for caliber mono metal.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Due to the fact of virtually zero weight loss, penetration is not an issue with mono metals. At one time heavy bullets were needed to achieve penetration because they shed weight as they moved through tissue....mono metals don't. You need to forget everything you know about conventional jacketed bullets when talking mono metals. Most people that don't have extensive experience with them have trouble believing that they can penetrate like they do but once you shoot them for a while you'll be impressed. You accomplish nothing by going to heavier offerings in mono metals other than bucking the wind a bit better and gaining some ballistic coefficient. The heavy weight mono metals were designed primarily for marketing to those that think weight matters and to gain BC, not because lighter versions didn't penetrate adequately.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The problem with a very heavy mono in the 7-08 is two fold

2.800 is my max length and that bullet would eat up a massive amount of case capacity

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We did our last hunt in Namibia shooting 139-grain GMX from a 7RM and nearly all of the shots were pass throughs or hung on the hide on the far side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just got back from Namibia. My wife used a 7X57 with 160gr Nosler Partitions at 2650fps. One shot, one zebra, complete pass through. That was all she wanted to shoot.

If your wife likes the 7-08, use it with Partitions or A-frames in the 160 grain weight. I doubt you will find a better balance of power and easy shooting.

Then again, if you want to go rifle shopping, because, who doesn't like rifle shopping......I would go with the 30-06. Always can be loaded down, but a .308 can't be loaded up. Just my 2 cents.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 7mm08 loaded with Barnes TSX

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
At least in our 375 testing mono metal bullets like the Barnes X and our own Walterhogs.

They seem to have maximum penetration at 2800-2900 fps.

Below that speed and above, the seem to penetrate less.

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
My daughter has been shooting a 375 H&H since she was 13 years old (currently a few months from her 18th birthday). She has a number of African and Canadian adventures under her belt and has hunted extensively with me in the US. With that being said, she has also taken numerous species with 22-250, 223, 243 Win, 257AI, 6.5x284, 308 Win, 300 RUM, and a 416 Rigby to name a few. Of all the rifles, she seems to gravitate more towards the 308 Win over everything else. This may change as she begins getting familiar with her graduation present, a new Heym Deluxe Grade 375 Flanged double rifle!

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the 308 IMHO. If she wants to hunt dangerous game then move up to 375. She can never have too many rifles!

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari James:
My daughter has been shooting a 375 H&H since she was 13 years old (currently a few months from her 18th birthday). She has a number of African and Canadian adventures under her belt and has hunted extensively with me in the US. With that being said, she has also taken numerous species with 22-250, 223, 243 Win, 257AI, 6.5x284, 308 Win, 300 RUM, and a 416 Rigby to name a few. Of all the rifles, she seems to gravitate more towards the 308 Win over everything else. This may change as she begins getting familiar with her graduation present, a new Heym Deluxe Grade 375 Flanged double rifle!

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the 308 IMHO. If she wants to hunt dangerous game then move up to 375. She can never have too many rifles!

dancing totally agree!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have shot deer (dropped in the tracks) across gullies at ranges up to 300 meters with TSX 150 gr with my Kimber Montana in 7mm08. If you use TTSX 140 / 150 gr you would be even better off.

quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I think any of your choices with the right bullet will be fine. The .308 will certainly do the job as it has for many years.

I agree with TJ in that the mono metal bullets are at their best with higher velocity and you should look at a step down or two in weight over the regular lead core bullets. So if you are normally shooting a 180 grain in the .30-06 you can easily step down to a 165 or 150 grain Hornady GMX or TSX or what have you and push them faster and get good results.

Having said that I shot my last moose with a 165 Accubond out of the old .30-06. It was 240 yards and a complete pass through, didn't move ten yards and down and out.

No flies on the accubonds.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least in our 375 testing mono metal bullets like the Barnes X and our own Walterhogs.

I've experienced great performance down to 2,000fps. They still penetrate well slower than that but expansion is compromised. At super high velocity, expansion is rapid and violent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
...I would go with the 30-06. Always can be loaded down, but a .308 can't be loaded up.
Jeremy

and monometal bullets can take up case capacity. that matters more with the 308 than the 30-06.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
quote:

I've experienced great performance down to 2,000fps. They still penetrate well slower than that but expansion is compromised. At super high velocity, expansion is rapid and violent.

My post was regarding maximum penetration.

We went to over 3100 fps, and the penetration was not as good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:
Was that with your copper solid Walterhogs?
What bullet weight?
Been thinking of mailing you my first and only .308 185gr brass bullet that I turned.
Haven't been able to get out there since that day.
It couldn't have turned out more perfect.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7/08 worked well for us on a few trips.

A break on the barrel and recoil reducer fitted.
Recoil is low enough for our 9 year old.

160g nosler partitions AR2206H powder 38g

If penatration is required we use the following.
140g hydrostatic stabilized woodleighs AR2206H 40.5g

The family shot better with the 7/08 than the 30/06

The above loads have taken enough game to keep me broke.

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote